*** The Official iOS 14 Thread ***

Soldato
The wasted space on my iPhone 6s is much less noticeable than it is on that screen shot. In fact, I don't think it's got any bigger since iOS 13.

Soldato
Yeah, only in the gap between apps though, which is a pretty small tap target if you're fat fingered. I dunno, just speculating.

Been playing with widget some more and I've come to the conclusion they definitely need 1 and 2 icon spot versions, so we can have the equivalent of watch complications as a widget taking up only one icon spot. This would be way more useful and two of my most used widgets, which currently take up 8 spots, could easily be reduced to 2 small complications as they only show a small amount of data.

Soldato
Ahh, yeah, but then it's only activated from a 'right click' sub level option. The new space makes it more accessible from the home screen itself.

I think it goes back to their issues with combining force touch and long touch in eliminating force touch. They should never have done that to begin with IMO, but that's beside the point now.

Still, that's the only explanation I can come up with for the new gap, I could be completely wrong!

Caporegime
Anyone had problems with making calls on iOS14? Not so much the call itself, but when you tap contacts it brings your recent calls up but its completely unresponsive so you can't select contacts or anything. Rather irritating.

Commissario
Anyone had problems with making calls on iOS14? Not so much the call itself, but when you tap contacts it brings your recent calls up but its completely unresponsive so you can't select contacts or anything. Rather irritating.
I've made more calls over the last few days than I have for ages and if it was doing this, I'd have noticed. No, not at all.

Soldato
The best QOL for this change has seriously been whilst I am using my iPad mainly, the fact that calls no longer take up the entire screen is something I have wanted for years and so glad it's here and working a treat. No issues on my side with iOS14 but don't use much outside of the Apple stuff for widgets / apps, apart from banking/utilities/Apollo/Work.

Soldato
I heard that you’d be able to set your own default apps for browsers, mail etc. Has anyone been able to do this following the iOS14 update?

Yeah, go to Settings > Firefox > Default browser et al, if you want to do this. I prefer Safari but appreciate people want to change defaults. Bare in mind the app has to support it, which not all will.

Associate
Yeah, go to Settings > Firefox > Default browser et al, if you want to do this. I prefer Safari but appreciate people want to change defaults. Bare in mind the app has to support it, which not all will.

For mail I tried GMail and Outlook, for browser I tried Edge. None have that option. I guess we need to wait for that functionality to we introduced to these apps?

Soldato
For mail I tried GMail and Outlook, for browser I tried Edge. None have that option. I guess we need to wait for that functionality to we introduced to these apps?

Check what version you have, I have just downloaded it as a test and have 45.8.10 which is the latest on the App Store, and I can set it as a default browser.

KMCVDgH.png

I didn't try Outlook, or Gmail I'm afraid, but I know Outlook is supported. Also no idea why a screenshot for some reason looks like it was taken on a potato.

Associate
Check what version you have, I have just downloaded it as a test and have 45.8.10 which is the latest on the App Store, and I can set it as a default browser.

KMCVDgH.png

I didn't try Outlook, or Gmail I'm afraid, but I know Outlook is supported. Also no idea why a screenshot for some reason looks like it was taken on a potato.

Thanks for that. I forgot that the apps themselves would need an update. I seem to remember there being a section in the App Store that would allow you to browse your apps that had available updates. Is that no longer visible?

Back
Top Bottom