*** The Official iOS 14 Thread ***

Associate
Apparently every password I have ever used has been leaked or compromised and I need to change them all......

Which begs the question what do you use for generation and safe keeping of passwords? I recently switched to iOS and have used 1Password in the past on android but use it exclusively now and don’t use apples built in solution.

Soldato
Which begs the question what do you use for generation and safe keeping of passwords? I recently switched to iOS and have used 1Password in the past on android but use it exclusively now and don’t use apples built in solution.

Since having iPhones and iPads I pretty much use the automatic strong password generator. Tbh I think it’s an error as half the stuff listed I have never used.

Soldato

I'm using the same as you, but Dashlane instead of 1Password. I don't think manually managing passwords is the best way anymore.

Soldato
1Password here, I switched from Dashlane about 6 months ago. Dashlane was OK but i found the web browser plugin very hit and miss, sometimes it would work fine and then 10 seconds later it'd flatly refuse to work. Restarting the browser would sort it, but it was a real pain in the backside.

Soldato
I haven't used it on a Chromebook but use it extensively on my Windows 10 laptop, iPhone & iPad. I've had zero problems with it that I can remember. I've only been using it about 6 months but I've found it very reliable.

It's also really nice to be able to split to my passwords into multiple vaults (something that Dashlane didn't do) so I have my personal passwords separate to my work passwords.

I did find that the import from Dashlane didn't work amazingly well, so I did it with CSV exports, a bit of manipulation and tidying up before importing into 1Password. But if you're starting from scratch that won't be an issue.

Soldato
I find LastPass free version very stable and works well across all platforms.

They don’t work on Apple ID iOS system password prompt screens which is annoying and means you need to remember that password. App developers also need to make sure their username/password fields are set correctly in the app or it doesn’t prompt any password manager. Most apps are fine but some are not updated for the feature.

The only thing you do have to remember is to open the App if you changed a password on another device to get it to sync across. I think that’s an iOS thing rather than a last pass thing.

You also have to select the password as auto full doesn’t normally work with the app if the password is saved as www.website.com

It’s scary how quickly you can spend lots of money through the likes of PayPal when using a password manager. You can get through a check out process in about 15 seconds.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just note that LastPass should you decide to use it was acquired by LogMeIn, not a company I would personally put faith in for securely storing data and doing the right thing.

Permabanned
Just note that LastPass should you decide to use it was acquired by LogMeIn, not a company I would personally put faith in for securely storing data and doing the right thing.

Is there any other free ones that is recommended? Even if they have acquired them they might not have touched the systems as of yet though?

I find LastPass free version very stable and works well across all platforms.

They don’t work on Apple ID iOS system password prompt screens which is annoying and means you need to remember that password. App developers also need to make sure their username/password fields are set correctly in the app or it doesn’t prompt any password manager. Most apps are fine but some are not updated for the feature.

The only thing you do have to remember is to open the App if you changed a password on another device to get it to sync across. I think that’s an iOS thing rather than a last pass thing.

You also have to select the password as auto full doesn’t normally work with the app if the password is saved as www.website.com

It’s scary how quickly you can spend lots of money through the likes of PayPal when using a password manager. You can get through a check out process in about 15 seconds.

I have just tested it and it's working fine on ios 14. I had to change a setting to allow lastpass to pass over the password though in passwords setting on iphone.

Soldato
I have just tested it and it's working fine on ios 14. I had to change a setting to allow lastpass to pass over the password though in passwords setting on iphone.

What I meant was that it doesn’t work on iOS system prompts (grey pop up boxes) where you need to enter your Apple ID password.

I wouldn’t put too much stock in throw away comments like that which don’t contain any evidence. The risk is present with any password manager, I pretty much run on the basis that if it’s online, it’s possible that it can be hacked. That’s why things like 2FA exist to mitigate (but not remove) those threats.

Permabanned
What I meant was that it doesn’t work on iOS system prompts (grey pop up boxes) where you need to enter your Apple ID password.

I wouldn’t put too much stock in throw away comments like that which don’t contain any evidence. The risk is present with any password manager, I pretty much run on the basis that if it’s online, it’s possible that it can be hacked. That’s why things like 2FA exist to mitigate (but not remove) those threats.

I use 2FA on everything where possible anyway. :) I do understand how it works.

Just looking for a suitable candidate for management now because of multiple devices.

Soldato
I never had any issues with the product, I just had to migrate away as soon as Logmein purchased them. A horrible company whose history alone makes me not want to get into bed with them. That's my personal opinion though, so use the right tool for the right job as always. I know LogMeIn have a history of locking people out of their accounts if they don't pay (despite them using their free option) with little notice, but again this was 5 years ago and I obviously hold a grudge.

Associate
Can I ask how easy to migrate all your passwords from iOS to 1 password, currently using LastPass as I want auto login on the pc and also my iOS devices that have been using the inbuilt password app

Back
Top Bottom