***The Official LG Nexus 4 Thread***

Soldato
Soldato
Just a question:

If I root my Nexus 4, what happens when a new OTA update from google gets pushed out ?

Does my phone:
a) Ignore it
b) Try to install it and fail/bork itself
c) Install it and 'unroot' itself/lock bootloader again
d) Install it and remain unlocked/rooted
e) Something else !

Caporegime
Does that mean it will be any good ? Just cos they make good DSLRs doesnt mean that the built-to-a-price camera module in a phone will be any good. It may well just be branded Nikon.

Hope you are right though !

I think it clearly means the odds of it being good are reasonably high.

Soldato
mine is definitely going for sale for some reason it's just not doing it for me, I don't particularly like the screen even with the updated kernel, it feels fragile and actually it feels pretty big too, its quite a heffer.

Hopefully GS4/One with some significant tweaks to get it near or actually stock should do the trick or I might go back to an S3 now you can pick them up for under £300.

Soldato
Chunky, it's quite thick and flat sided, or at least thats how it feels to me. I've had an S3 before and this feels quite a bit bigger to me but I know that may well just be the way it sits in my hand.

Soldato
Chunky, it's quite thick and flat sided, or at least thats how it feels to me. I've had an S3 before and this feels quite a bit bigger to me but I know that may well just be the way it sits in my hand.

Any phone is a matter of personal preference. Love my N4 but understand preferring an S3. If I had an S3 not sure their was enough to change to an N4 - arguably a change down.

Associate
Does anyone know why my digital clock widget has randomly decided to show other world times I have? Out of no where I have 2 other times showing up under my main clock, and what's worse is that they're not even the same colour as the main clock. Of course I could remove them, but I want to be able to see them if I open the clock app, and not see them on the widget, like I used to. I can't resize it either, because the size I need to hide them also hides the date.

Soldato
How is the video playback on this phone when streaming over wifi using bs player etc. for 720P/1080P MKVs etc.

Been perfect for me I typically stream at home and I never once had any issues. It was always way lighter on the battery then I expected. I think I streamed for close to 2 hours and it dropped 20% battery. Much better then I expected.

I use BSplayer for wifi streaming and I use MX player for watching of the devices (Like how the UI looks better). Both run great really smooth, don't ever get too warm or anything. I Did try 1080p ACC files and that didn't go so well as it didn't support it with hardware accelerations, it run perfectly fine but it did slip up once or twice, it did drain the battery quiet heavily, but its not a common file type.

Last edited:
Associate
Nope... but mine only a week old.

This shouldn't really happen, as usually the screen has to be on a good few hours to cause this.

Soldato
Just a question:

If I root my Nexus 4, what happens when a new OTA update from google gets pushed out ?

Does my phone:
a) Ignore it
b) Try to install it and fail/bork itself
c) Install it and 'unroot' itself/lock bootloader again
d) Install it and remain unlocked/rooted
e) Something else !

When I went from 4.2.1 to 4.2.2 it un-rooted at first but CWC on first boot asked me if I wanted to retain root, I said yes and it worked!!

It will never re-lock your boot loader! That takes a toolkit of re-flash!

Back
Top Bottom