*** The Official macOS Big Sur thread ***

Soldato
British - PC isn’t the same as British, like I said I believe the British - PC setting will switch the “ and @ mapping.

You absolute gent - that has got it! I googled this and all I could find were people using CLI to remap keys, or programs that would run at startup.

Soldato
Can't download it separately via apple has to be done via the software updater.

They stopped that a while back so don't see it changing back anytime soon.

Annoying if you have multiple devices as you need to download it for each one.

Thanks. If you download it via the updater it is available though in the 'applications' folder so you can just copy it to another device. That's what I did with getting 11.2.1 on my old Mac.

Associate
Content Caching can save (Apple have butchered it a bit with 11.0) on some of the downloading required. Still not a direct replacement for the Combo's though :(

We've not had any issues with our customers using it so far luckily. Was interesting the last time the college's MacOS Server went down though, bandwidth utilisation on the pipe was through the roof when all the Macs started downloading at the time same :)

Commissario
OP
There's an update to Safari, generally it's fine and obviously it's snappier but I really don't like the way the colour scheme of the top bar changes depending on the web site you're browsing.

/edit - preferences, tabs, show colour in tab bar

Soldato
There's an update to Safari, generally it's fine and obviously it's snappier but I really don't like the way the colour scheme of the top bar changes depending on the web site you're browsing.

Yeah I'm still undecided on the new look for tabs, I will give it a bit of time.

Soldato

Yeah I'm still undecided on the new look for tabs, I will give it a bit of time.

I've turned off 'show colour in tab bar' but I still can't get on with the Safari 15 tabs. I don't like the lozenges that denote each tab and why is the active tab dark? It's counterintuitive. The active tab should be bright and then inactive tabs should be greyed out.

It feels like change for change's sake. As a designer, I'm struggling to see how this improves UX and as a user, I'm just not a fan.

Has anyone tried the Compact tab layout yet? It's even worse!

Soldato
I rather they reverse the tabs colour. At the moment it's darker for the one you are on and lighter for the others.

This is backwards. The lighter one should be on the FRONT, as it is the one you are reading. The ones at the back then darker as a result.

Exactly! I said the same thing in the post above. :)

Back
Top Bottom