*** The Official macOS Big Sur thread ***

Soldato
Took a few goes for the installer to work Saturday night but I'm in on the 16' mbp

So far so good, seems like someones finally sorted what ever in Metal caused civ6 to hang uncontrollably plus the refresh to all the fonts and styles is easy on the eyes

Associate
Overall very happy, the only thing I'm not liking so far is the removal of the calculator in the widget bar, swiping left from the right side of the trackpad for the calculator was second nature for me, must have used it at least 30 times a day.

Soldato
One for @Feek and anyone else with macs, watches and 1Password.

https://blog.1password.com/big-sur-1password-7-7/

“One of our most highly requested features, Apple Watch can now unlock 1Password on any Mac with a Secure Enclave. If you’re using macOS 10.15 or later and using the latest devices, you’ll now see an option in 1Password preferences to turn on Unlock with Apple Watch alongside the Touch ID option.”

Associate
Can someone help, I can’t seem to get Google File Stream working on a new M1 Big Sur installation.

I don’t think it’s specific to the new Mac, but rather an incompatibility with the new OS.

from googling it seems like others have this issue but the fixes aren’t clear and involve terminal commands that I’d rather not start playing with without confirmation that they work.

so.. any advice?

Man of Honour
One for @Feek and anyone else with macs, watches and 1Password.

https://blog.1password.com/big-sur-1password-7-7/

“One of our most highly requested features, Apple Watch can now unlock 1Password on any Mac with a Secure Enclave. If you’re using macOS 10.15 or later and using the latest devices, you’ll now see an option in 1Password preferences to turn on Unlock with Apple Watch alongside the Touch ID option.”
I'm struggling to find the option to enable this.

Man of Honour
My work MacBook Pro is on Catalina still, they've blocked us from installing Big Sur unti Q1 2021. My Mac Mini is on Big Sur now after installing it last night. I back my MBP up to a QNAP NAS using Time Machine and as I configured the Mac Mini to back up to the same location the backups on the MBP stopped and the Mini failed. I did a bit of troubleshooting but the only way I could get it to back up again was to remove the (failed) Mini backup. I'll have another look later on but it might be something to watch out for for those with multiple Macs.

Soldato
Yeah had a look but it keeps changing between 'routined', 'photoanylsisid' and 'photolibraryd' sometimes its high use but not its not, ill keep an eye on it
That sounds like the Photos app. Do you use it and have it installed? It may be resequencing your photo library which is quite intensive.

Soldato
I should've looked into Big Sur before just pressing update. No issues, I just... don't like it at all. Maybe a bit of time will help that.

Associate
a few bugs, not drastic. Ironically its usually apple reintroducing the same old bugs every time. 11.1 should solve it.

Soldato
I'm new to macOS, only had iPads and a couple of iPhones over the years, and whilst I think this M1 Air is excellent it's annoying that every morning when it wakes from sleep I cannot connect to my NAS, I have to reboot and it's accessible again in Finder/locations. Looking into it all I can see is that pre Big Sur you had more power plan options and there was a setting that can cause this issue.

I'm sure there will be a fix, and one day I'll find it, but for now I just shut my Air down when I go to bed.

Man of Honour
I'm new to macOS, only had iPads and a couple of iPhones over the years, and whilst I think this M1 Air is excellent it's annoying that every morning when it wakes from sleep I cannot connect to my NAS, I have to reboot and it's accessible again in Finder/locations. Looking into it all I can see is that pre Big Sur you had more power plan options and there was a setting that can cause this issue.

I'm sure there will be a fix, and one day I'll find it, but for now I just shut my Air down when I go to bed.
I have an Intel Mac Mini and a QNAP NAS, I don't have this issue. Are you using SMB or AFP?

Back
Top Bottom