***The Official OcUK Lego Thread***

Soldato
Hi folks

Looking for suggestions for a big yew years eve/day build.

My wife and I did the bucket wheel excavator last year.

But there doesn't seem anything on that scale in the current crop of sets.

So looking for some suggestions!!

Interested in technic mainly but also open to ideas for any of the other genres. Mainly has to be big enough to last around 20-30hrs to build and lots of bricks / parts. Might have to consider multiple sets but hoping you guys can set me straight!

Caporegime
Hi folks

Interested in technic mainly but also open to ideas for any of the other genres. Mainly has to be big enough to last around 20-30hrs to build and lots of bricks / parts. Might have to consider multiple sets but hoping you guys can set me straight!
Porsche 911?

Caporegime
Certainly a consideration along with the AROCS.

Just not sure the 911 / AROCS are epic enough on their own but I'm happy to be convinced. The bucket wheel excavator was mahoosive and 4k+ parts.

Have you built the 911 and if so what are your thoughts?

It's a good build with some nice touches and seeing it come together is great. it's a decent size, but nothing close to the excavator! What about the mobile crane?

Associate
I bought the AROCS as soon as it came out, but then I'm a sucker (pun intended) for pneumatics because there's lots of play value. Also lots of scope for upgrading. I'm working on building a compressor with pressure cutoff into mine.

Soldato
Hi folks

UCS Millenium Falcon or Taj Mahal!

Assembly Square and Big Ben also have large piece counts. Maybe consider the Ferris Wheel and the Carousel because they have moving parts and complement each other.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Hi folks

Unless you must have all the moving bits, I'd personally recommend the Creator Expert series. Lego releases a new set every year and they are nothing short of incredible. The amount of detail is insane and they are great fun to build. My wife builds one every year and has the whole street since about 5 years ago. This year's one is Assembly Square and is 300 pieces more than the bucket wheel. These sets also pretty much consistently double in value once they expire. Like this.

Soldato
UCS Millenium Falcon or Taj Mahal!

Assembly Square and Big Ben also have large piece counts. Maybe consider the Ferris Wheel and the Carousel because they have moving parts and complement each other.

UCS MF is not in stock anywhere that I have found. Lego store just says coming soon and it is £600.

Will look into taj mahal and the others you mention though, thanks.

Soldato
Update......

Pulled the trigger on the Porsche 911 GT3 in the end. Managed to get it for £180 so I'm pleased with that.

Read nothing but good things about it so I'm really looking forward to the build. Then if we need another project we can always do the bucket wheel excavator B-model :D

Thanks for the suggestions folks. The creator expert stuff is still on my radar but I'm putting it on the back burner for now. I want the UCS Millennium Falcon next so need to save some pennies!! :p

Got the 911 GT3 box under the tree. Happy days.

Soldato
Currently building the UCS MF. Found 3 errors in bags 3 so far.
Otherwise its going well. Definitely not for kids as some advanced techniques and hard to spot location fixes.

Back
Top Bottom