The Official OcUK Vista Licencing Questions FAQ Thread

Soldato
pcknight said:
As far as i am concerned, MS activated it for me. I paid X amount for the software so i should be able to use it, not have to pay again and again if i have hardware failures etc. All this talk about legal this and that does not wash with 99% of people. All we are interested in is this:
[/I] Get real

I'm just saying it's illegal, not that I agree with the law. In fact I disagree. I have paid for 2 OEM operating systems for my PC and I think I should be able to reactivate it seeing as the mobo failed but I can't.

As long as I have paid for the software I don't care if it is illegal to reactivate it. Sure the licence may be revoked but it is more honest than most people seeing as I paid for the software in the fist place.

As long as I paid for the software legally and it works I don't car if the licence is no longer valid.

Permabanned
OzyOly said:
I'm just saying it's illegal, not that I agree with the law. In fact I disagree. I have paid for 2 OEM operating systems for my PC and I think I should be able to reactivate it seeing as the mobo failed but I can't.

As long as I have paid for the software I don't care if it is illegal to reactivate it. Sure the licence may be revoked but it is more honest than most people seeing as I paid for the software in the fist place.

As long as I paid for the software legally and it works I don't car if the licence is no longer valid.

Exactly. Well said mate.

Soldato
Entai said:
The thing is that most of the people who seem to be getting upset about the limitations of OEM versions of Vista, forget that the very lax attitude by Microsoft over the reactivation of OEM versions of XP, is most likely NOT going to be repeated with Vista. etc

buy another licence.

Yes possibly, so they will know exactly the make and model of your motherboard and thus even if you claim it broke and you got another one, they could say aha but you didnt get the same model, so they check up on the database and oh it is available you naughty boy!!

Yes looks like they've got us hook line and sinker this time!! :D best not to buy any version and wait until you really have to then you will know what the reactivation 'heat' is like as well. Great, what shall I buy instead?

edit: of course if your first install is on a really old motherboard that you know will be out of production then your laughing.. :p :p

Last edited:
Associate
OzyOly said:

you all forget you DO NOT buy the software it is still the property of MS, all you buy is the licence to use it read the EULA

Soldato
tomanders91 said:
Will i be able to use OEM if i add more ram or upgrade my graphics card? Or will i have to phone MS and ask for another.

On a side-note Windows once asked me to re-activate when I added in a new DVD drive :confused: so beware, anything's possible with old Bill! :p

Soldato
lordedmond said:
you all forget you DO NOT buy the software it is still the property of MS, all you buy is the licence to use it read the EULA

I know you only buy the licence and when the licence is broken that is it.

The thing is when you spend £100 on a licence and your motherboard breaks why the hell should that licence die with the motherboard.

I know it is illegal but come on, I can see them being ****** at people trying to get away with pirated software but when I pay my money I don't expect my software to stop working.

Permabanned
lordedmond said:
You should .

its the small print, in any contract and it is legaly binding, that way you will not get any nasty suprises

Been using PC's for many years. No surprises yet. Do you honestly think MS are going to go for a small minion like me? get real! lol

Soldato
http://apcmag.com/4347/tough_new_rules_on_vista_oem

Found this from a quick google, posted 8th Nov.

"Sure, if you do bite the bullet and buy the boxed version at Harvey Norman, you'll be free to upgrade your machine or install Vista on another machine as many times as you like.

You won't be forced to plead with some out-sourced help-desk jockey to convince them that you just upgraded your CPU and video card.

Unfortunately OEM copies won't get the same liberties. These installations of Vista will still be restricted to only one transferal or one major upgrade to your machine."

Soldato
I know, I know.. this has been asked before and answered but I really cant be bothered to look please spare some of your valuable key tapping energy to answer ;)

Does this mean that even with an oem copy I can upgrade my motherboard once from the original and has this always been the case with xp, if so ... WHATS ALL THE FUSS ABOUT ... sorry... :confused:

Soldato
Slam62 said:
I know, I know.. this has been asked before and answered but I really cant be bothered to look please spare some of your valuable key tapping energy to answer ;)

Does this mean that even with an oem copy I can upgrade my motherboard once from the original and has this always been the case with xp, if so ... WHATS ALL THE FUSS ABOUT ... sorry... :confused:

You might not be able to upgrade your motherboard at all. The M$ is being a lot more strict this time. You probably won't be able to activate over the phone with OEM this time.

Associate
Sumanji

I would say that when you install vista then the xp would be revoked , as DELL os are locked to the bios tehn you do not need a key to install nor do you neeed to activate but the new key must be fixed to the case

Soldato
Rebelius said:
all you people who are saying it's ok to blag an activation after an upgrade because you already paid for an OEM license so it's ok, honest...

why not just download vista from a torrent, that way it's even cheaper and just as legal.

edit: I know this post is against forum rules, but no one in 8 pages has been picked up for talking about piracy.

Becuase illegal torrent Vista will not give you access to windows update.

Illegal OEM fully paid for Vista will get you access to windows updates.

Back
Top Bottom