*** The Official Playstation 4 (PS4) Thread ***

Soldato
All the games are fully installed so the drive is only used for the initial disc check. Other than not swapping discs there is not really much advantage to download only games.

Caporegime
Anybody seen the news that Turtle Beach have been given rights to create the official Playstation headsets? Supposedly being unveiled this summer and released in the autumn sometime. I've never owned a Turtle Beach product but my sister had a few pairs of their headsets for her 360 and she said they were alright, I always thought they were more of a budget brand?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-01-08-turtle-beach-signs-ps4-official-headset-deal

Soldato
Don't Starve is definitely more of PC gamer's game.

Basically, you collect resources to build better items, and survive as long as possible. Definitely make a camp fire at night, otherwise your sanity meter (assuming it is the same as the PC version) will go down and you will essentially go crazy, and trees may start trying to eat you :D

There are some very amusing enemies, and eventually you will work through the different seasons (again if it is the same as PC), with Winter being the hardest to survive in.

Here is a quick review that may give you a better idea:

http://www.destructoid.com/even-without-plus-don-t-starve-is-worth-playing-on-ps4-268615.phtml

Associate
Do you drive a diesel at <12k miles a year too? :p

Not bothered about power consumption personally, just thought I'd state a pointless fact lol like I said the main reason for going all digital is my laziness so I don't have to get up and swap disks, I rarely trade in games I prefer to keep them so I wouldn't be losing out on a return anyway and there is some performance gains (even thought small) with going digital

Soldato
Don't Starve is definitely more of PC gamer's game.

Basically, you collect resources to build better items, and survive as long as possible. Definitely make a camp fire at night, otherwise your sanity meter (assuming it is the same as the PC version) will go down and you will essentially go crazy, and trees may start trying to eat you :D

There are some very amusing enemies, and eventually you will work through the different seasons (again if it is the same as PC), with Winter being the hardest to survive in.

Here is a quick review that may give you a better idea:

http://www.destructoid.com/even-without-plus-don-t-starve-is-worth-playing-on-ps4-268615.phtml
I found it incredibly boring tbh!

Associate
and there is some performance gains (even thought small) with going digital

As MOOGLEYS stated earlier, not this time round. All games that are on disc get installed to the HDD, so they're pretty much identical to the digital ones, it all runs off the HDD or SSD if you chose that etc. Unless there is a performance difference or gain I can't think of... The only real benefit which you have already mentioned and I guess depends on person to person is the not needing to swap disc thing.

Last edited:
Soldato
As MOOGLEYS stated earlier, not this time round. All games that are on disc get installed to the HDD, so they're pretty much identical to the digital ones, it all runs off the HDD or SSD if you chose that etc. Unless there is a performance difference or gain I can't think of...

I find that I have a massive performance gain from disc-based versions of games...

..in the time it takes to download the digital copy of Killzone, I could walk into town and buy it, come home and probably complete the campaign. Maybe even time to play some MP.

My internet is fairly slow, and Killzone Shadowfall is a 39.7GB!

Also, the prices of digital copies of games on the PS Store are horrendous! I remember new PS3 games being upwards of £50!!!

The fact that Angry Birds Star Wars is £32.99 says it all really..

Soldato
I found it incredibly boring tbh!

At least I wasn't the only one that found it boring.

This is why I said it is more of PC gamer's game. There are many survival PC games that require you to gather resources, grind and generally work out how to do it yourself.

Obviously for a lot of console players who are used to COD/Assassins Creed etc (having the game spoon-fed to you via in-game tutorials), the thought of having to work out how to play for yourself can be somewhat daunting.

Associate
I find that I have a massive performance gain from disc-based versions of games...

..in the time it takes to download the digital copy of Killzone, I could walk into town and buy it, come home and probably complete the campaign. Maybe even time to play some MP.

My internet is fairly slow, and Killzone Shadowfall is a 39.7GB!

Also, the prices of digital copies of games on the PS Store are horrendous! I remember new PS3 games being upwards of £50!!!

The fact that Angry Birds Star Wars is £32.99 says it all really..

Ahaha well there is that and I'm in somewhat the same situation, it'd take me a month to download KZ :| Although it does have that fancy play while it downloads thing going on... not seen it in action mind you!

Soldato
Ahaha well there is that and I'm in somewhat the same situation, it'd take me a month to download KZ :| Although it does have that fancy play while it downloads thing going on... not seen it in action mind you!

Does that only work for certain games? I've downloaded several off the PS Store and I've never seen the option to play them while they're downloading :/

Associate
Does that only work for certain games? I've downloaded several off the PS Store and I've never seen the option to play them while they're downloading :/

I think the game has to support it annoyingly, I think Killzone and Ghosts does it? I'm trying to find a list but as if I can find one and the stuff I can find is people saying they can't get it to work haha, typical. I'm pretty sure it needs to download a certain percentage first before you can begin playing it, but no idea what does!

Caporegime
As MOOGLEYS stated earlier, not this time round. All games that are on disc get installed to the HDD, so they're pretty much identical to the digital ones, it all runs off the HDD or SSD if you chose that etc. Unless there is a performance difference or gain I can't think of... The only real benefit which you have already mentioned and I guess depends on person to person is the not needing to swap disc thing.

All games get installed to the HDD? Is it the full game or a cache system?

I was under the impression it was a cache system and not the full game, why did they decide to install the full game to hard drives? Wouldn't using both be far more efficient and make the console's potential even greater like they did with GTA V?

Associate

I was under the impression it was a cache system and not the full game, why did they decide to install the full game to hard drives? Wouldn't using both be far more efficient and make the console's potential even greater like they did with GTA V?

I am pretty sure they do full installs, 40GB on average is pretty big for caching imo, so it must install the entire game (eventually). I think they went for full installs for multiple reasons, noise and speed/performance being the main ones. The PS4 (at least mine) when initially reading the disc is pretty loud which quietens down once it's done doing what it does, I would defo not like that constantly while playing.

As for performance, reading up on it it seems to run at 6x which is 26MB/s (according to various sites), where the stock HDD is 101MB/s read. The size of the games now need the speed that the blu-ray drive is at max just cannot compete with the HDD, which at full speed is pretty loud and is why I assume they didn't do HDD and blu-ray drive.

When you first put a disc in it begins installing what you need to play first, then carries on installing the rest. It's a pretty noticeable drop in volume when it has finished installing. I think once it's fully installed when you put the disc in, it's just checking against what is on the HDD and if it needs to install anything because it eventually shuts up. That's my understanding of it anyway, as after inserting the disc and it finished checking, I never hear it again during the game.

I could be totally wrong of course! XD, but I like to think that's a pretty logical guess to it all :)

Last edited:
Soldato

Not sure if it's full or just cached, but it would make sense to install as much as possible to the HDD as the disc drives are painfully slow.

EDIT: Beaten to it ^

Back
Top Bottom