*** The Official Playstation 4 (PS4) Thread ***

Caporegime
I am pretty sure they do full installs, 40GB on average is pretty big for caching imo, so it must install the entire game (eventually). I think they went for full installs for multiple reasons, noise and speed/performance being the main ones. The PS4 (at least mine) when initially reading the disc is pretty loud which quietens down once it's done doing what it does, I would defo not like that constantly while playing.

As for performance, reading up on it it seems to run at 6x which is 26MB/s (according to various sites), where the stock HDD is 101MB/s read. The size of the games now need the speed that the blu-ray drive is at max just cannot compete with the HDD, which at full speed is pretty loud and is why I assume they didn't do HDD and blu-ray drive.

When you first put a disc in it begins installing what you need to play first, then carries on installing the rest. It's a pretty noticeable drop in volume when it has finished installing. I think once it's fully installed when you put the disc in, it's just checking against what is on the HDD and if it needs to install anything because it eventually shuts up. That's my understanding of it anyway, as after inserting the disc and it finished checking, I never hear it again during the game.

Cool, cheers for the info, I take it then upgrading the hard drive in a couple of years will be pretty much standard then, I didn't realise the full game was being installed onto the hard drive, this surely makes faster hard drives more beneficial than the PS3. I don't mean SSD but even a faster, bigger mechanical drive would surely be worthwhile looking into?

Associate
There's a nice comparison of various drive types here: http://uk.ign.com/wikis/playstation-4/PlayStation_4_Hard_Drive_Speed_Test_Comparison

Which annoyingly shows it to be pretty inconsistent in places but that could be due to multiple factors. I don't think a better one has been done but would be interesting to see if there has! I stuck a 7200RPM 1TB in mine which I did at the start so I cannot compare too much, but while playing AC4 mp it is noted that mine loads a few seconds ahead of my friend who has the stock drive in it. But as it's a few seconds, I don't really know if it's too beneficial? The bigger drive though is very nice at least, especially with installs on average taking 40GB. Can delete them of course but space is a nice thing to have!

The other concern I have is where it's constantly recording the 15 minutes of gameplay... I think that might actually be on ram though and would tie in with the rumours of the OS taking a fair bit of ram for itself. Would save on the constant writes to the HDD too!

Soldato
I also installed a 1tb SSHD once my console was received. So also cannot comment on comparison to the original drive but it works just fine and I have that extra bit of space. Maybe one day I will try out the original drive to compare.

Soldato
I would say that buying a bugger HDD now rather than later is wise as you will have to replace it sooner or later,, whether it be SSHD or standard HDD. Assuming you dont want to sell all your games on of course.

Soldato
has anyone purchased the PS4 Console with Killzone Shadow Fall, Controller & Camera (comes as bundle for £429)

Is Killzone a digital copy only and no disc?

cheers

Caporegime
Wouldn't using both be far more efficient and make the console's potential even greater like they did with GTA V?
GTAV used an on the fly cache system where it was using the HDD to dump lumps of gamedata from the BD, thats inferior to having the game on the HDD in the first place.

The only issue GTAV caused was that if it was a digital copy (or on X360 installed to HDD) it was still attempting to cache to HDD and so using up disk performance uneccessarily caching from the same HDD it was installed on.

PS4/XB1 games are built to be installed on HDD so it would be detrimental to performance to attempt what GTAV did for the same reasons...
The other concern I have is where it's constantly recording the 15 minutes of gameplay... I think that might actually be on ram though and would tie in with the rumours of the OS taking a fair bit of ram for itself. Would save on the constant writes to the HDD too!
Gem of a solution that 256Mb of DDR3 if its being used to hold the constant recording - makes that worrying over using a SSD without TRIM needless (well TRIMs not that essential anyway nowadays). Shame the ARM solution they used wasnt up to spec - look forward to suspend and resume though...

ps3ud0 :cool:

Last edited:
Caporegime
Started Lego Marvel last night, very fun game I think. AC IV is beginning to get a bit tedious now so I'm going to have a break for a bit

i've got this too but it seems all a bit too childish and repetitive to me.

break things, build things, solve simple puzzle and kill a few little lego baddies then use character "x" to do a certain thing to procede until you get to final boss.

i dunno but i just feel it's built for 8-12 year olds but then why have they added the type of humour only 12+ would understand fully at times?

game just feels mixed up to me overall, trying to appeal to both markets but it's ideal for kids to play and enjoy.

i have only done like 7 or 8 levels out of 120 is it? does it get better or is it pretty much the exact same as what i've described above?

Associate
My first PS4 platinum last night from LEGO Marvel, its the first LEGO game I have played and I did the entire 100% in co-op mode with the GF which I think is the first time she was the one eager to sit and play games.

Kinda glad its finished now though as she always wanted to play it so any attempt to play AC4 of KZSF ended up with us playing Marvel LEGO.....

Soldato
i've got this too but it seems all a bit too childish and repetitive to me.

break things, build things, solve simple puzzle and kill a few little lego baddies then use character "x" to do a certain thing to procede until you get to final boss.

i dunno but i just feel it's built for 8-12 year olds but then why have they added the type of humour only 12+ would understand fully at times?

game just feels mixed up to me overall, trying to appeal to both markets but it's ideal for kids to play and enjoy.

i have only done like 7 or 8 levels out of 120 is it? does it get better or is it pretty much the exact same as what i've described above?

I know what you mean but then I have the issue with AC IV, it's not childish but it's repetitive. To be fair, could be argued for a lot of games and sadly I don't have a lot of choice with the PS4 'library'. I just like Marvel so I'm enjoying it.

Associate
My first PS4 platinum last night from LEGO Marvel, its the first LEGO game I have played and I did the entire 100% in co-op mode with the GF which I think is the first time she was the one eager to sit and play games.

Kinda glad its finished now though as she always wanted to play it so any attempt to play AC4 of KZSF ended up with us playing Marvel LEGO.....

Congratulations. Did you find it a grind at all to get the plat. Looking for something new to play as don't want to start the AC4 multi-player grind to plat

Back
Top Bottom