• Digital Only Version

Votes: 171 16.1%
  • UHD Optical Version

Votes: 660 62.3%
  • Unlikely to buy either

Votes: 228 21.5%

• Total voters
Associate
What options are we going to have with regards to graphics and FPS on ps5 games?

I’ve seen videos of miles morales using two options. Performance and fidelity mode. Performance having high FPS and fidelity mode using ray tracing.

Are all the games having the same two options and is there a chance of having the both combined at lower resolutions. Seems a bit limited at the moment.

Soldato
What options are we going to have with regards to graphics and FPS on ps5 games?

I’ve seen videos of miles morales using two options. Performance and fidelity mode. Performance having high FPS and fidelity mode using ray tracing.

Are all the games having the same two options and is there a chance of having the both combined at lower resolutions. Seems a bit limited at the moment.
Will depend entirely on the game, but you'll see a lot of resolution/fidelity or high FPS options on new games.

It's doubtful that many games will have a 1080p/raytracing/60fps option as 4k (dynamic/checkerboard or native) is the aim for this generation.

Thanks. My PS4 game total is about 2.4GB right now. :p
GB or TB? If that's 2.4TB then well done! If GB then I don't think you'll have much to worry about!

Soldato
Well - in the absence of laughter - a link to the item in question is here:
https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B083Y15Z9M
If you go directly to the Vendor you cannot get anywhere near that price. I'm not a massive fan of extended warranty - we've all dodged one at Currys etc. But £15 per years 2/3 doesn't seem too bad.
Biggest limitation is "three repairs over a 12 month period" by looks.

For people ordering from Amazon, just a reminder about this extended warranty option found by @stoofa, seems like a really good deal but does need to be bought within 30 days of purchasing the console.

Soldato

The PS5 lets you set default options applied to all games (e.g. difficulty, inverted axes etc) and one of those options is Performance or Resolution, so I imagine many or most games will let you choose between the two. There might be additional options offered too but I doubt they'll want to make it too complex.

Associate
I may live stream the DPD 'where is my driver' tracker thingy
Don't buy anything until Digital Foundry et al have done some tests.

They have already said on a video about usb drives. Iv been trying to find the video but Im sure they said most usb ssd or hdd will work for ps4 games mainly. Main differences being speed and capacity.

Soldato
Two things going on there I think.

Microsoft have turned backward compatibility in to an interesting feature. There's always been a bit of a "Or... you could just keep the old console(s)" thing with BC. But this time out, there are a host of automatic enhancements alongside "Enhanced for Series X|S" and "Xbox One X Enhanced" improvements. The end result is old games looking better than they ever have done before. So it's now a talking point.

Aside from that, Microsoft has been showing off Series X for almost a year now. There isn't really much launch software to talk about. The UI is the same one that's on Xbox One, with minimal features exclusive to X|S. The controller is almost exactly the same. Simply put, if you take BC out of the equation then there really isn't a huge amount to look at with the new Xbox generation. Media will want to fill a certain amount of time combing over the new Xbox consoles, and right now it would be difficult to fill that time without focusing on BC and Quick Resume. And if they're focusing on these features on Xbox, comparisons will inevitably be drawn to what PlayStation is doing in the same area.
But what is there to talk about for the PS5? They have a new UI, which is nothing interesting to me - I’d rather they improved the old one and optimised/fixed issues.

the controller, sounds good but not sure I’d be bothered a few months down the line and will many devs use it?

games, yes a handful - certainly nothing new or groundbreaking.

ultimately, would I take a ps5? Hell yes...but I’ve chosen the Xbox as I’m a fan of their engineering talent and currently it looks to be a more solid, finished product. GB had some interesting points about the new UI on Ps5 being a bit ropey, rushed (to be new) with a backend that ultimately felt like a PS4 ui.

ditherway, seems ms and Sony have poured a lot of effort into these consoles/infrastructure....which is only good for us!

Soldato
They have already said on a video about usb drives. Iv been trying to find the video but Im sure they said most usb ssd or hdd will work for ps4 games mainly. Main differences being speed and capacity.

They've shown performance comparisons for the Xbox, but not for the PS5. I wouldn't be spending £130+ on a Samsung-branded SSD when an £80 one in a caddy achieves the same performance, for example.

Soldato
Exactly the drive I am looking at also. I don't think I will have amny ps4 games to install on it so capacity is not a concern. On the NVME side of things I think Sony will confirm the Samasung 980 will be OK to use once they do their testing.
I'm the reverse. I'll be replaying a number of PS4 games to experience a) 4k b) hdr c) boost-mode. Coming from an OG PS4; I'm genuinely looking forward to replaying mostly PS4 games for the next 3/4 months till hopefully the exclusives start droping.

Associate
I'm the reverse. I'll be replaying a number of PS4 games to experience a) 4k b) hdr c) boost-mode. Coming from an OG PS4; I'm genuinely looking forward to replaying mostly PS4 games for the next 3/4 months till hopefully the exclusives start droping.
Now that you have said that its got me thinking.....PS5 will be great way to replay ps4 games the way they were meant to be.

Soldato
I've actually purchased that a few times this year already seems really good value.

Yeah it does almost seem too good to be true but as it's seemingly an Amazon-exclusive product and you get Amazon vouchers back rather than cash value it make sense really. For the sake of £30 I think I'll probably go with it, and I never normally buy extended warranties.

But what is there to talk about for the PS5?

All the things you listed and then immediately wrote-off. Whether you're bothered about them or not, they're new features and innovations and that's what a lot of people look for in a new console.

Soldato
I enjoyed the original Spider-Man, disappointed to hear they retained the stealth sections... They were awful. The hacking was pretty repetitive too after the first 20 times.

https://metro.co.uk/2020/11/06/spider-man-miles-morales-ps5-review-pretty-spectacular-13545488/

Do think Sony taking Mick charging £50 for this, I guess it is discounted compared to full releases for next gen on PS5 costing £70, but to me this shouldn't be more than £30 since it's reusing so much of the old game.

Will definitely pick this up but not until it's discounted to the £20-£25 mark in a year.

Soldato
I'm happy with my 2x spiderman games, both with ray racing, with a total of 35+hrs playing time for just the main story missions, for £58.

Now that you have said that its got me thinking.....PS5 will be great way to replay ps4 games the way they were meant to be.
Which I'll be doing a lot of, I put 75hrs into completing RDR2, but other than that I've not played a single console game since 2011/2012, on the PS3.

Horizon Zero Dawn
God of War
Days Gone
Doom Eternal
Borderlands 3
Infamous Second Son
Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End
Batman: Arkham Knight
Battlefield 1
No Man's Sky
Destiny

And then the actual PS5 games:
Miles Morales
Spiderman Remastered
Bugsnax
And whatever PS+ games are free in the next few months...

Yeah, I've got PLENTY to be getting on with! :D

Last edited:
Associate
I'm happy with my 2x spiderman games, both with ray racing, with a total of 35+hrs playing time for just the main story missions, for £58.

Which I'll be doing a lot of, I put 75hrs into completing RDR2, but other than that I've not played a single console game since 2011/2012, on the PS3.

Horizon Zero Dawn
God of War
Days Gone
Doom Eternal
Borderlands 3
Infamous Second Son
Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End
Batman: Arkham Knight
Battlefield 1
No Man's Sky
Destiny

And then the actual PS5 games:
Miles Morales
Spiderman Remastered
Bugsnax
And whatever PS+ games are free in the next few months...

Yeah, I've got PLENTY to be getting on with! :D

"I am out of office until Jan 3 2022" :D

Back
Top Bottom