• Digital Only Version

Votes: 171 16.1%
  • UHD Optical Version

Votes: 660 62.3%
  • Unlikely to buy either

Votes: 228 21.5%

• Total voters
Soldato
The next big PS5 firmware update is coming and its a doozy with some massive much needed changes!

The new firmware just dropped today in BETA form, final release cant be too far away, lets look at the changes:

* Adds Sony 3D audio output for speakers (the dual sense microphone must be turned on, they are used to measure your rooms acoustics for the 3D audio)

* Updated User Interface and new user customization options, including:
- Control Center can be more personalized (rearrange controls etc)
- view/write messages
- updated Friends Tab
- PS4/5 game versions are now separated on the homescreen/library
- added a trophy tracker for games (you can track the status of up to 5 tropies at a time while playing your game)
- added resolution options for playstation now

* M2 SSD expansions is now available, the SSD you put into the PS5 must meet these specs:
- Driver interface must be PCIe Gen4 x4 M.2 NVMe SSD with the following form factors: M.2 type 2230, 2242, 2260, 2280 and 22110
- Must have at least 250GB capacity, maximum capacity is 4TB
- It is reccomended your SSD has a heatsink, the PS5 will not cool your SSD for you
- Your SSD must support a read speed of at least 5,500MB/s

There are several drives that meet these requirements so far, including the Samsung 980 Pro and Western Digital SN850

Associate
The whole storage thing has been a total farce with the PS5 in my opinion.

Sony are completely full of **** for 1 thing. They claim they have been waiting this long because of drives needing to be fast enough. This speed of drives have been out since before Xmas. More likely they were in no rush because there not making any money on the drives.

Also the design of the console, tucking it away in a tiny slot with no cooling and it then needing a heatsink on and lots won't fit just screams **** poor to me. Why was it necessary to have the slot so small? It stinks.

Soldato
I wouldn't call that a massive update at all there is very little to get excited about from what i can see apart from enabling internal storage which should have been there on release anyway. Still no sign of VRR support either:rolleyes:.

Soldato

Sony are completely full of **** for 1 thing. They claim they have been waiting this long because of drives needing to be fast enough. This speed of drives have been out since before Xmas. More likely they were in no rush because there not making any money on the drives.

Also the design of the console, tucking it away in a tiny slot with no cooling and it then needing a heatsink on and lots won't fit just screams **** poor to me. Why was it necessary to have the slot so small? It stinks.

It is ****** for older gen 4 drives like the Corsair mp600 which has a large Heatsink strapped to it. But newer drives like the 980 pro using nextbgen controllers don't need large heatsinks and easily fit into thenps5

Soldato
I wouldn't call that a massive update at all there is very little to get excited about from what i can see apart from enabling internal storage which should have been there on release anyway. Still no sign of VRR support either:rolleyes:.

Ssd expansion is awesome, 3d audio is awesome and trophy tracking is awesome

Caporegime
I really hope they release additional models with 1.6TB SSD capacity so you don’t have to faff about with this SSD lark. And then to say there’s no guarantee that any games you install to these expansion SSDs will run as well as when they’re on the internal? What’s that all about? It seems like no SSD manufacturer is managing to get the sustained 7GB/sec speed Sony initially wanted so it’s a make-do situation.

Associate
I really hope they release additional models with 1.6TB SSD capacity so you don’t have to faff about with this SSD lark. And then to say there’s no guarantee that any games you install to these expansion SSDs will run as well as when they’re on the internal? What’s that all about? It seems like no SSD manufacturer is managing to get the sustained 7GB/sec speed Sony initially wanted so it’s a make-do situation.

More than likely sony covering their own arses and putting out the usual BS. There is no reason why it shouldn't if the drive is the recommended specs.

Soldato

Dont be ridiculous, many drives exceed Sony's requirements.

I'm actually more worried that if Sony doesn't cap the transfer speeds, the newest drives will load games like Ratchet and Clank too fast

Soldato

Sony are completely full of **** for 1 thing. They claim they have been waiting this long because of drives needing to be fast enough.
Fast enough.............and cheap enough as well

Its a bit silly saying they should have done it earlier and then saying well you have to spend the price of the console to expand the ssd.....

Soldato

You know the answer to this right? Don't buy a PS5 - simples.

Soldato
Will this fit?

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Storage/M-2-SSDs/MP600-PRO/p/CSSD-F1000GBMP600PRO

I don't think it will with that heat sink right?

(I think i can link to the manufacturer's page...)

I used to have one of those before selling it, so I can't check the fit now oh well

Edit: I can still picture in my bed the height of it and just took apart the ps5 to have a look

I would say there is a chance it might fit but if it does it will be very tight

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom