• Digital Only Version

Votes: 170 16.1%
  • UHD Optical Version

Votes: 659 62.3%
  • Unlikely to buy either

Votes: 228 21.6%

• Total voters
Soldato
Peopled in the US have been testing the ssd expansion.

Its confirmed the Samsung 980 pro runs perfectly and you can just chuck a EKWB M2 heatsink on it and it fits great.

Also confirmed, the PS5 seems to limit the drive's read speed - so it doesn't matter if your drive is faster than 5500Mbps, the PS5 will limit it to that speed

Caporegime
Peopled in the US have been testing the ssd expansion.

Its confirmed the Samsung 980 pro runs perfectly and you can just chuck a EKWB M2 heatsink on it and it fits great.

Also confirmed, the PS5 seems to limit the drive's read speed - so it doesn't matter if your drive is faster than 5500Mbps, the PS5 will limit it to that speed

I forgot about the EKWB M2 heatsink....I guess this is the one to go for? and I take it SSD don't generally come with these as standard?

Sorry, never bought an NVME before!

Soldato
Oh that's a good shout, I do have a spare EKWB M.2 heatsink lying about since my previous motherboard did not have M.2 cooling. I guess I can save a bit and go for the heatsinkless SN850, the price difference between the two versions is crazy.

Soldato
Thanks for that very insightful posts. Are you 1 of those who cant say anything negative about a brand? The design is crap, end of discussion.
No, not at all - but I'm also not one of these people who "bash because it's cool to bash".

Sony have absolutely nothing to gain by holding back the release of internal SSD support. I take it you're one of the opinion that it should have been a 10 minute job to enable it and that was it - off you go public?
I can then only assume you're not involved with anything on a daily basis that does require testing before it can be released.
The initial wait was always for drives fast enough for the unit and then once those drives were available an awful lot of testing would have been completed before we reached the point we are at now - a beta release. This beta release is not aimed at anyone not willing to "get their hands dirty", it's the whole point of such a release.

The beta is over-specified when it comes to just what is and isn't compatible and again, this is because it's a limited audience beta release. Once this goes into a production release then it'll be a simple matter of picking a drive from a list of "known compatible", slamming it in and 10 minutes later everything is up and running.
When you read through the document released yesterday you soon discover that most of it is fluff and not required - the key parts being the generation of drive you can use, the recommended transfer rates and the height of the unit including heatsink. In fact they could have released a single paragraph with that information alone and it would have been enough to get people up and running.

You seem to think you know how to design a console better than Sony - as if their numerous years of being in such an industry means nothing and it "completely stinks" that they decided to add the NVME slot in the way they did.
I suppose once these drives start overheating and failing you'll have the last laugh - or, as I strongly suspect, there will be no such thing happening and the placement and design of the NVME slot was absolutely perfect and allowed them to use the saved space for something more important.

Associate
No, not at all - but I'm also not one of these people who "bash because it's cool to bash".

Sony have absolutely nothing to gain by holding back the release of internal SSD support. I take it you're one of the opinion that it should have been a 10 minute job to enable it and that was it - off you go public?
I can then only assume you're not involved with anything on a daily basis that does require testing before it can be released.
The initial wait was always for drives fast enough for the unit and then once those drives were available an awful lot of testing would have been completed before we reached the point we are at now - a beta release. This beta release is not aimed at anyone not willing to "get their hands dirty", it's the whole point of such a release.

The beta is over-specified when it comes to just what is and isn't compatible and again, this is because it's a limited audience beta release. Once this goes into a production release then it'll be a simple matter of picking a drive from a list of "known compatible", slamming it in and 10 minutes later everything is up and running.
When you read through the document released yesterday you soon discover that most of it is fluff and not required - the key parts being the generation of drive you can use, the recommended transfer rates and the height of the unit including heatsink. In fact they could have released a single paragraph with that information alone and it would have been enough to get people up and running.

You seem to think you know how to design a console better than Sony - as if their numerous years of being in such an industry means nothing and it "completely stinks" that they decided to add the NVME slot in the way they did.
I suppose once these drives start overheating and failing you'll have the last laugh - or, as I strongly suspect, there will be no such thing happening and the placement and design of the NVME slot was absolutely perfect and allowed them to use the saved space for something more important.

Show me where I said I can design a better one?

So you think it's perfect? It couldn't be designed any better? Have you seen the memory temps on GN? Wake up.

Soldato
Show me where I said I can design a better one?

So you think it's perfect? It couldn't be designed any better? Have you seen the memory temps on GN? Wake up.
Just leave it, not worth it. They went off on one yesterday when I mentioned the Xbox cartridge system but somehow that turned into main board and production lines :confused::cry:.

Soldato
Series X is a far better designed console than the PS5. Ps5 seems a bit rushed and not very well thought out. The high ram and internal SSD temps should not be happening. Otherwise as a system PS5 is fantastic and a joy to use I’m just hoping it lasts longer than it suggests it will..

Soldato
The 1 TB is 200quid.........
I very much doubt it was £200 8 months ago or so when the PS5 was released

and probably a very small % have a problem compared to the 10m units already sold....

Series X is a far better designed..
Im not 100% convinced there was any "design" at all - its an elongated cube in black

Last edited:
Soldato
I really hope they release additional models with 1.6TB SSD capacity so you don’t have to faff about with this SSD lark. And then to say there’s no guarantee that any games you install to these expansion SSDs will run as well as when they’re on the internal? What’s that all about? It seems like no SSD manufacturer is managing to get the sustained 7GB/sec speed Sony initially wanted so it’s a make-do situation.
Sliding off a side panel and working with 2 screws is hardly faff?

Digital Foundry will soon have benchmarks of various drives, just buy one of those.

Back
Top Bottom