• Digital Only Version

Votes: 171 16.1%
  • UHD Optical Version

Votes: 660 62.3%
  • Unlikely to buy either

Votes: 228 21.5%

• Total voters
Soldato
Sony fans criticised Microsoft for their proprietary SSD, but it's the most consumer friendly by far! Now they are justifying the costly NVMe drives despite arguing that Microsoft's plug and play solution was expensive! Double standards much?

Microsoft's SSD will always be expensive

pcie gen 4 ssd for the ps5 will cost peanuts within 2 years - and don't forget that the ps5 SSD is DOUBLE THE PERFORMANCE of the Xbox!

Soldato
Is a nvme drive and heat sink of a similar cost? I'd have thought the propietry version would be more (although not sure what speed the xbox plug in uses, I'm assuming the ps5 will max the speed).
The XBox storage upgrade is literally half the speed for a similar cost.

Quick question. May seem silly but here goes.

Is the PS5 made to be sat on its side as well? Any issues doing so?

Yeah it works in either orientation. Had mine horizontal since launch.

Soldato
Im not 100% convinced there was any "design" at all - its an elongated cube in black

I think the design is compact, understated and stylish. I guess it's down to personal preference but I much prefer the series x design to the PS5. The ps5 design seems to have gone backwards and feels closer to a ps3 than anything really next gen. It's bigger than I feel it should be and looks like the console equivalent of a Japanese boy racer car, which is fine if that's your thing, but it isn't mine.

If we are going to talk technical design, the series X is well ahead in my view. A compact and efficient solution. Sony seem to have gone down the route of massive form factor = more space for airflow so fans don't have to sound like jet turbines. Feels like it lacks innovation.

Don't get me wrong I love the performance of my ps5 but I don't like looking at it. It stands out like a sore thumb. On the other hand my series X fits in well and is super stylish - I would say classy and mature vs the PS5's garish and attention seeking form.

Personal choice, obviously, but those are my thoughts.

Caporegime
Sony's design screams of someone sitting in front of a desk with a blank piece of paper and asked to design a new shape for the console, the appearance, without thinking about function. And then once the design was born, then tried to fit the function inside it. It's size was stretched/scaled to fit the function.

The Series X was function first, form second. It's form came from a simple idea that heat travels upwards and a natural and best way for best ventilation is upwards.

Most consoles in the past are designed in the former category, the Series X IMO is the first one that is designed with its functions in mind. But most consoles for the first couple of decades didn't produce as much heat back then, consoles like SNES or PS1 didn't have massive fans, they only had heatsinks or small fans if there was one, like the one on the side of the Game Cube. If you give engineers a blank slate to design an enclosure to fit everything in, they would design it in a way to best dissipate heats in a more natural way.

I have both the PS5 and Series X. I don't mind how they both look. The Series X is a much more discrete console, especially if you put it sideways (then not taking full advance of its design), the PS5 will dominate any room it's in and screams "Look at me". The only thing I don't like about it is the gloss black personally, I hate gloss black.

Soldato
Sony's design screams of someone sitting in front of a desk with a blank piece of paper and asked to design a new shape for the console, the appearance, without thinking about function. And then once the design was born, then tried to fit the function inside it. It's size was stretched/scaled to fit the function.

The Series X was function first, form second. It's form came from a simple idea that heat travels upwards and a natural and best way for best ventilation is upwards.

Most consoles in the past are designed in the former category, the Series X IMO is the first one that is designed with its functions in mind. But most consoles for the first couple of decades didn't produce as much heat back then, consoles like SNES or PS1 didn't have massive fans, they only had heatsinks or small fans if there was one, like the one on the side of the Game Cube. If you give engineers a blank slate to design an enclosure to fit everything in, they would design it in a way to best dissipate heats in a more natural way.

I have both the PS5 and Series X. I don't mind how they both look. The Series X is a much more discrete console, especially if you put it sideways (then not taking full advance of its design), the PS5 will dominate any room it's in and screams "Look at me". The only thing I don't like about it is the gloss black personally, I hate gloss black.
Does the series X run hotter when it's sideways then?

Associate
I think the design is compact, understated and stylish. I guess it's down to personal preference but I much prefer the series x design to the PS5. The ps5 design seems to have gone backwards and feels closer to a ps3 than anything really next gen. It's bigger than I feel it should be and looks like the console equivalent of a Japanese boy racer car, which is fine if that's your thing, but it isn't mine.

If we are going to talk technical design, the series X is well ahead in my view. A compact and efficient solution. Sony seem to have gone down the route of massive form factor = more space for airflow so fans don't have to sound like jet turbines. Feels like it lacks innovation.

Don't get me wrong I love the performance of my ps5 but I don't like looking at it. It stands out like a sore thumb. On the other hand my series X fits in well and is super stylish - I would say classy and mature vs the PS5's garish and attention seeking form.

Personal choice, obviously, but those are my thoughts.

How about just taking off the 2 white side panels and spraying them black? Looks a lot better imo.

Associate
Microsoft's SSD will always be expensive

Not true, it's already £179.99 on some sites. Besides, Major Nelson has previously said:

You'll see multiple options and different form factors and different sizes. But what was really important for us is that we had a simple, easy-to-use option available day one. You can expect to see more options moving forward.

DOUBLE THE PERFORMANCE of the Xbox!

On paper, but most comparisons are either marginal or in favour of the Series X. Only Sony's first-party exclusives will take full advantage of the SSD, whereas most multiplatform developers will cater to the lowest common denominator.

Soldato
Not true, it's already £179.99 on some sites. Besides, Major Nelson has previously said:

On paper, but most comparisons are either marginal or in favour of the Series X. Only Sony's first-party exclusives will take full advantage of the SSD, whereas most multiplatform developers will cater to the lowest common denominator.

The Ascent takes 14 seconds to load on the Series X, it takes 6 seconds on my PC with a 980 Pro. A faster drive does make a difference

Back
Top Bottom