**** The Official Samsung Galaxy Note 20/Ultra Thread ****

Soldato
I really didn't like the fingerprint sensor on the Note 10+. The optical version used by most other manufacturers is vastly more reliable, quicker and generally less frustrating.

Associate
I really didn't like the fingerprint sensor on the Note 10+. The optical version used by most other manufacturers is vastly more reliable, quicker and generally less frustrating.

It is, but it's also way more prone to screen burn as it just sends a massive flash of light to the area.. the Samsung way is at least more secure and less prone to damaging my screen.

Soldato
It is, but it's also way more prone to screen burn as it just sends a massive flash of light to the area.. the Samsung way is at least more secure and less prone to damaging my screen.
Really? I haven't seen any widespread evidence to point to this. I had my 6T for over a year and my 7T Pro for coming up on a year and I have seen no burn in at all. An, admittedly quick, Google search doesn't seem to present much in the way of Optical FPS burn in. In fact when I search the first entry that appears is for burn in related to the Note 10.
Realistically the FPS light is on for so little time I cannot see how burn in could be an issue.

Soldato
Nice one, mine ended up cheaper than I thought to be honest.

Funnily enough I'm always a bit suspicious of when couriers pre-charge you customs duty before It's actually entered the destination Country. Granted it gets you through clearance faster but it obviously eliminates any chance that your parcels sneaks in. ( I mean they can't check every single parcel can they??? ) . So what happens if it doesn't get taxed, do the couriers actually pay it? knowing how shady even companies can be I'm a little suspicious of it.

Most imports go through on the paperwork only, very few packages are physically checked. Mainly ones which look suspicious/uncertain/dangerous on the paperwork or randomly physically pulled for inspection or targeted physically pulled for inspection.

Generally the courier or other third party does the customs declarations. If they make a mistake on that paperwork they'll be liable for the cost, notwithstanding any civil attempts to recover from elsewhere. If it's discovered on a physical stop and search that the paperwork is incorrect then that will be the senders/recipients liability.

Soldato
Anyone willing to offer up some real world examples of SoT time for the Note 20 Ultra now that the device has been out long enough to have learned usage patterns? Also is the camera good at night (again I know this appears in reviews but it's good to hear opinions)? I generally like how Samsung does colours, but they've always lacked in low light.

I loved my Note 10+ and was content with its 7 hours-ish SoT and had planned to move to a 120hz iPhone 12. Since that doesn't look like it's happening, I'm considering other devices. I could likely stomach the Exynos SoC at Black Friday prices.

Associate
Anyone willing to offer up some real world examples of SoT time for the Note 20 Ultra now that the device has been out long enough to have learned usage patterns? Also is the camera good at night (again I know this appears in reviews but it's good to hear opinions)? I generally like how Samsung does colours, but they've always lacked in low light.

I loved my Note 10+ and was content with its 7 hours-ish SoT and had planned to move to a 120hz iPhone 12. Since that doesn't look like it's happening, I'm considering other devices. I could likely stomach the Exynos SoC at Black Friday prices.

I personally get around 5 hours but I don't mind or care for screen times as I always have the charger at hand.

The camera is very, very good and the night mode is 2nd only to the pixel in my opinion.

Associate
I normally finish the work day on around 80 - 85% and by the time I put it on charge in the morning the lowest it's been is 60% I am in no way a power user, no gaming but plenty of photos, few videos, bit of S pen productivity and internet, little YouTube.

My Screen on time varies but average 2 - 3 hours between charges so take that around 5 - 6 hours on a full charge.
No heating up generally but does get warm in extended video usage but not hot.
Camera is good and if you look on YouTube v the P40 Pro Plus it fares well.

I think we all know that the Snapdragon version is the better buy but for me the Exynos is performing much as expected and does me fine for my usage but for power users and gamers li would expect less screen on time for sure.

Soldato
I normally finish the work day on around 80 - 85% and by the time I put it on charge in the morning the lowest it's been is 60% I am in no way a power user, no gaming but plenty of photos, few videos, bit of S pen productivity and internet, little YouTube.

My Screen on time varies but average 2 - 3 hours between charges so take that around 5 - 6 hours on a full charge.

That's not too bad when you consider standby drain. The Note 20 Ultra addresses the main concerns I had with the Note 10+ (low light camera performance and 60hz screen), so it should be perfect for me. Then I keep remembering about Exynos 990 vs SD 865+ and how someone in Samsung decided that Europe should get an inferior chip for the same price as elsewhere and I think 'stuff it', I'll get another phone :p

Associate
That's not too bad when you consider standby drain. The Note 20 Ultra addresses the main concerns I had with the Note 10+ (low light camera performance and 60hz screen), so it should be perfect for me. Then I keep remembering about Exynos 990 vs SD 865+ and how someone in Samsung decided that Europe should get an inferior chip for the same price as elsewhere and I think 'stuff it', I'll get another phone :p
Yeah it does grate on me too!
They are pushing more people to either buy imports or buy a different phone.
This is why its a shame Huawei have been screwed to the bone, their hardware is pretty damn good along with battery life and cameras and at competitive prices, if google was included then Samsung would not be winning the sales count for this year.

Edit:
But there may be hope for next year...

https://youtu.be/xLo7YHy-VlU

Last edited:
Associate
Any tricks to get around a Samsung account verification? Signed up for a Samsung account not realising it put the old number associated with my sim and not my ported number and now I am not able to receive the codes.

Associate

Yep I'm the same. Mind, it might make a decent second hand buy in a years time :D

Associate
You be able to get a decent second hand buy in just a few months time when the S21 comes out and folk try to flog their Note 20 Ultra's. :p

Associate
Any tricks to get around a Samsung account verification? Signed up for a Samsung account not realising it put the old number associated with my sim and not my ported number and now I am not able to receive the codes.
Isn't there an option to try another way with the Samsung account so that you can ask it to email the code?

Back
Top Bottom