*** The Official Samsung Galaxy Note II Thread ***

Soldato
If I'd have broken a Note 1, I'd have bought and fitted this

This is doubtless available because the Note 1 has been out a while and there's now a plentiful spares supply due to lots of people breaking their phones in various different ways.

As I've broken a Note 2, I'll need this

Both are genuine, and the Note 2 one is far more expensive. So surely that's because it hasn't been out as long as the Note 1?

The Note 2 screen you've linked to is NOT genuine and it doesn't include the frame!!

It can be had here, from UK for less too : http://www.gultek.eu/genuine-parts/lcd-modules/samsung/gt-n7100-white.html

Soldato
If your happy with the fact this is quite a large phone at this moment in time is this probably the best smart phone you can get?
I havent upgraded my phone in about 5 years so whatever i get now will be a huge upgrade which is why i want the best phone thats available at the moment and the one that will last the longest before i need to update again. Im planning on getting a 24 month contract so i will have it for 2 years at least.

Soldato
If your happy with the fact this is quite a large phone at this moment in time is this probably the best smart phone you can get?

Yes - probably.

Always going to be a matter of opinion, but at the present time there isn't much around to match it. As always, "newer and better" phones will be on the horizon - expect the next round of high-end smartphones (from early 2013 onwards) to feature 1080p screens.

Associate
I havent upgraded my phone in about 5 years so whatever i get now will be a huge upgrade which is why i want the best phone thats available at the moment and the one that will last the longest before i need to update again. Im planning on getting a 24 month contract so i will have it for 2 years at least.

oh yes! Get yourself a nice bluetooth headset and enjoy the experience. The s pen hardly gets used by me now the novelty has worn off but the speed and slickness of the hardware makes using android a pleasure even when you are running many widgets or apps etc.

Really enjoy using this and now would be dubious of changing to a smaller screen :)

Soldato
Yes - probably.

Always going to be a matter of opinion, but at the present time there isn't much around to match it. As always, "newer and better" phones will be on the horizon - expect the next round of high-end smartphones (from early 2013 onwards) to feature 1080p screens.

Thats true but how much of an upgrade will they be. On such small screen sizes will 1080p make that much of a difference. I cant imagine it will...i mean its not even that noticible compared to 720 on a hdtv untill you get to about 50in + screen sizes.

Associate
Thats true but how much of an upgrade will they be. On such small screen sizes will 1080p make that much of a difference. I cant imagine it will...i mean its not even that noticible compared to 720 on a hdtv untill you get to about 50in + screen sizes.

You have to consider your distance from the display (your eyesight and the size of the display vs its resolution are also important), if you like to hold your phone far from your face you probably won't care but if you hold it very close you may.

Soldato
Damn can't see an amazon unlocked note 2 that I trust anymore. Looks like my best bet is to just buy from O2. Is it easy enough to unlock via root? My giffgaff sim works fine in my o2 locked iPhone, so O2 don't know what they're on about when they said it wouldn't work!

Associate
Damn can't see an amazon unlocked note 2 that I trust anymore. Looks like my best bet is to just buy from O2. Is it easy enough to unlock via root? My giffgaff sim works fine in my o2 locked iPhone, so O2 don't know what they're on about when they said it wouldn't work!

I was surprised how the in stock number kept dropping while I was placing my order!

Hrm that sounds a bit stupid, allow me to rephrase: I was surprised to see how quickly the stock levels were dropping while placing my order, I think I snagged the last one that's fulfilled by Amazon.

Last edited:
Associate
I was a little miffed at the ee tariffs...note 2 lte on 24 month contract at £41 per month is £139, but if you buy on t mobile 3g its only £79for the phone, if you switch to EE before end of december its free to change to same tariff.....heres hoping i have saved £60.

Soldato
I was surprised how the in stock number kept dropping while I was placing my order!

Hrm that sounds a bit stupid, allow me to rephrase: I was surprised to see how quickly the stock levels were dropping while placing my order, I think I snagged the last one that's fulfilled by Amazon.

You git! :D

Probably going to go with O2 and wangle my way out of buying an o2 top up that I don't need

Associate
Really hope Google ,samsung or even microsoft go for an all in one 7'' tablet with 4g in the future, that can also send and receive calls, would be the only worthy upgrade from this Note II :)

Last edited:
Associate
I was going to hold out for the 5" 1920x1080p HTC to come out in the UK. Pretty definite it's going to be released in New York on Tuesday..... Not sure if the resolution in a 5" is even worth it though. And the battery will be either 2100mah, or 2500mah. But it's not enough with that many pixels. Also you won't be able to notice the difference holding it at normal distances since the screens so small. I mean some tv's aren't even full hd, and most laptops + pc monitors aren't either.

But the width of that screen size in a phone is the same as the s3, and just a little taller. The viewing experience is nowhere near as good as the note 2 since the screen is too small.

I'm never going smaller than 5.5" now, and I'm sure I'll continue to get notes, or a true 'phablet' sized screen phone. Really hope that manufacturers, or Samsung at least continue to use removable batteries in their phones, and continued microsd card support would be nice, although if they do bring those super fast 128GB chips, I don't think we'll need it.

A 6" phone will be my limit though :p

Associate
I was going to hold out for the 5" 1920x1080p HTC to come out in the UK. Pretty definite it's going to be released in New York on Tuesday..... Not sure if the resolution in a 5" is even worth it though. And the battery will be either 2100mah, or 2500mah. But it's not enough with that many pixels. Also you won't be able to notice the difference holding it at normal distances since the screens so small. I mean some tv's aren't even full hd, and most laptops + pc monitors aren't either.

But the width of that screen size in a phone is the same as the s3, and just a little taller. The viewing experience is nowhere near as good as the note 2 since the screen is too small.

I'm never going smaller than 5.5" now, and I'm sure I'll continue to get notes, or a true 'phablet' sized screen phone. Really hope that manufacturers, or Samsung at least continue to use removable batteries in their phones, and continued microsd card support would be nice, although if they do bring those super fast 128GB chips, I don't think we'll need it.

A 6" phone will be my limit though :p

yep, that 5" looks nice, but the battery doesn't seem all that impressive, the battery on the note 2 is great, and i realised that charging on the AC unit which came with it, is so much quicker than from my PC - takes forever on that, i don't even need to charge it at work now, whereas with my iphone 4s, i had to charge it most of the time.

Associate
Thinking of rooting my Note 2, got a 64GB SD Card and can't move any apps to it, so I'm going to read up on it more and of what else you can do and may go for it.

Anyone here rooted? Any tips?

Associate
Does anyone know how to to take screenshots on the galaxy note 2? specifically in app? using the side of your hand doesn't always work with all apps, such as in games

Back
Top Bottom