*** The Official Samsung Galaxy Note II Thread ***

Associate
I am so torn between the bleeding edge of this phone and the spec vs. price point of the imminent Nexus 4. Can I just ask you guys who own this phone a couple of questions? Thanks

1.) After the initial goofing around with the S-PEN do you find it actually enhances, improves or changes your day to day usage of the phone? Or is it a case of, "hey look at what you can do with this"...then weeks later you never use it again?

2.) The screen! I had a look at an actual sized mock up in a shop and it really did seem big. I love the idea of it but I cant assuage my fears that I'll get to grips or feel comfortable with it. Many state you "Do" get used to it after a few days, is this a fair comment? Or perhaps like I have seen on the ones coming for sale on ebay, people think the phone is amazing but just too "BIG" (yes I imagine some of these are just excuses to make a quick buck from upgrades etc)

3.) Also N7100 no LTE N7105 LTE. Do you think the resale value will be "noteworthy" (sorry) buy forking out a bit extra for the LTE version ?

Thanks guys

Soldato
^ ^

2) have you ever bought a new TV or monitor and thought that it looked massive, only a week later for it to look normal and every other TV to look small ? That is what i imagine the phone is like (i dont have one yet) but someone that i know that has one says every other phone just looks like a toy now and she would never go back

Soldato
My dad has just bought one, and yes they're big, especially compared to my iPhone, but in the 20 mins play I've had with it, you will get used to it and it's certainly comfortable enough to hold. I don't have massive meat hooks either.

Associate
^ ^

2) have you ever bought a new TV or monitor and thought that it looked massive, only a week later for it to look normal and every other TV to look small ? That is what i imagine the phone is like (i dont have one yet) but someone that i know that has one says every other phone just looks like a toy now and she would never go back

lol yeah good point :D, you just reminded me of my X's face when I turned up with a 42" plasma a few years back, I was alright with it, she wasn't. Ever! We separated.

I think its more like having it in your pocket and doing daily stuff like standing up or sitting down, does it get on ones wick?:)

Associate
The Note 2 is big at first, but now my S3 feels small, iPhones feel like toys, Note size is normal.

Also my hands aren't that big, and I'm even using it/typing with one hand without the one handed feature enabled which is great.

Don't see myself ever getting a smaller phone in the future.

Get it!

Associate
PadFone 2 is a quad-core 1.5Ghz snapdragon S4 pro with 2GB RAM and a 13MP camera.

I think you looked at the original PadFone from last year...

Indeed I did, I stand corrected :cool:. Having a quick look at that one your getting that seems like a really, really decent piece of kit. What made you jump to this then, have you had a trail on one, read great reviews or just two birds one stoning it with the tablet / phone cross over? :)

Associate
I always want the newest stuff and I love the Note but I feel like its time to try something new (I know it's been a month).

I was actually looking for a Lumia 920 but I already got a good deal on contract with EE but they keep delaying it so I decided to buy one sim free on eBay but it was insane for a phone I will get next week anyway so I decided time to buy something else.

And I remembered the awesome PadFone 2. Which Engadget and the verge think is the best phone ever so I found someone who shipped FedEx (who I trust the most and who don't make you pay tax before delivery) and bought it.

The guy shipped it within half an hour and now it's tracking for Tueaday arrival. It is in the Philipines. No idea why Taiwan to the UK is via there!

The PadFone 2 has some of the coolest tech on a new phone and docks into the 10.1 inch display that comes with it. It is definitely a different approach to the Note but something I want to try out.

Last edited:
Associate
Look it up... It's the most powerful android phone there is with a tablet dock and it just so happens to be LTE ready on EE as well.

To be fair it's basically the same specs as the Nexus 4 but its got a tablet dock!

Actually, the LG optimus G got better scores in the various benchmark tests.
Also the padfone 2 is pretty ugly and the resolution + quality of the tablet part isn't that great + many reviews say the tablet screen sucks.

The cpu + gpu is fairly decent, but I won't get something like that since I don't need a tablet. That's why the 5.5" phones / phablets are better for me :D

In the benchmarks, even though the cpu in the Note 2 is based on the older A9 architecture.... in many cases it outperforms the s4 pro in the optimus G, nexus 4 and padfone 2, even in geekbench and antutu.

Since the note 2 is pretty darn powerful, you won't notice any speed differences anyway between any of the phones, since the phones, in general use - reading news, browsing the internet, watching movies.... won't perform any differently. In gaming though, you might notice the difference in the very top demanding games like Need for speed most wanted, although playing on the note 2, even with a slightly lower frame rate, will feel much more pleasant due to the screen size, and quality of the screen itself.

The note 2 also has a huge battery - 3100mah and it's removable, so you can switch it around, and it has a micro sd card slot :D. S-pen is actually great and I use it a lot, to make my to do list, and browse through emails, even doodling on sketchbook pro + I can use it when I'm wearing gloves etc....

On the camera tests the Optimus G + Nexus 4 + Padfone 2 performed not so great, if you actually look at the sample pictures on gsm arena you'll see..... Megapixels don't mean much, it's the quality of the sensor and the note 2 / s3 have a much better sensor, and video recording is far superior.

All in all, Note 2 is a tablet / phone which means you don't need to carry 2 things around, it's great for browsing the web, tremendous battery life and has great extras like the micro sd card slot, s-pen and removable battery, you can carry a spare but it lasts you all day anyway, great to have the option though!

Back
Top Bottom