**** The Official Samsung Galaxy S20 Family Thread ****

Soldato
Thinking of the 5 mainly down to the size. Similar to that of the S10e. Not a fan of the huge phones!

The Note 10+ I had (6.8" screen) was more usable with one hand than my 5.8" iPhone XS. It's all down to the gesture control and the universal back swipe. Samsung also has a really great one-handed mode where you do a little diagonal swipe and the entire screen shrinks into either the left or right hand corner (depending on your preference), making it easy to reach the upmost corner even if your hands are normal size.

Admittedly if you do a lot of walking about while on your phone, a smaller device is preferable because it's easier to hold it securely.

Neither Google nor OP currently have one-handed modes, though OP is working on one. With the Pixel 5 you shouldn't need one.

Associate
And the OP 8T a couple of weeks after. The OP will out-spec both the FE and the Pixel 5, but will likely be let down by its cameras. We will see!
For some reason I don't see them adding wireless charging or IP ratings to the 8t either, as it'd chew into the 8 pro market. Sounds like there's only going to be an 8t and no pro, and in theri talks they kept saying how much time and cost it adds to do IP certification. Samsung undoubtedly already have their production lines setup fully for it, seeing as all their top end phones have had it for years. Wireless charging seems to be new ground for Oneplus too, and that's something I wouldn't be without now.

But yeah, the cameras on the Galaxy S lineup are generally fantastic, so I'd expect they'll beat the 8t. Pixel phones always intrigue me but there always seems to be one area they end up lacking hugely in.

I'm not a fan of OneUI really, but I just use Nova launcher to get the homescreen and app drawer how I want.

Soldato
For some reason I don't see them adding wireless charging or IP ratings to the 8t either, as it'd chew into the 8 pro market. Sounds like there's only going to be an 8t and no pro, and in theri talks they kept saying how much time and cost it adds to do IP certification. Samsung undoubtedly already have their production lines setup fully for it, seeing as all their top end phones have had it for years. Wireless charging seems to be new ground for Oneplus too, and that's something I wouldn't be without now.
I disagree, OnePlus have never shied away from chewing into their own market share with the T variants in the past.
I'd be mighty surprised if the 8T didn't have wireless charging. They've crossed that threshold now and to omit it would be a big step backwards IMO, along with IP rating. But time will tell...
Back on the topic of this thread, although I have a 7T Pro the S20 FE has definitely caught my eye. Flat screen, wireless charging and that red colour are looking very appealing. Although could I go back to a hole punch, I'm not sure.

Associate
I disagree, OnePlus have never shied away from chewing into their own market share with the T variants in the past.
I'd be mighty surprised if the 8T didn't have wireless charging. They've crossed that threshold now and to omit it would be a big step backwards IMO, along with IP rating. But time will tell...
Back on the topic of this thread, although I have a 7T Pro the S20 FE has definitely caught my eye. Flat screen, wireless charging and that red colour are looking very appealing. Although could I go back to a hole punch, I'm not sure.
Fair point, but I think the FE is still likely the best choice in my circumstance. Can always sit on the order until the 8t is announced or leaked, but the generous trade in against any old android of £100 along with a freebie I'll use, cashback and the option of 0% credit with paypal works out to be a decent package. 3 years of guaranteed OS updates is useful too, albeit I accept Samsung are way behind Oneplus with speed of updates.

Soldato
Fair point, but I think the FE is still likely the best choice in my circumstance. Can always sit on the order until the 8t is announced or leaked, but the generous trade in against any old android of £100 along with a freebie I'll use, cashback and the option of 0% credit with paypal works out to be a decent package. 3 years of guaranteed OS updates is useful too, albeit I accept Samsung are way behind Oneplus with speed of updates.
The whole update thing isn't as important as in the past I feel, especially since Android versions have so little difference in them now. I don't think I'll just jump at an FE now anyway. I'll happily wait and see if I can pick one up on sale around Black Friday or even unwanted upgrade units on eBay. If I was in the market for a phone right now then I'd probably have my pre-order in already.

Soldato
I accept Samsung are way behind Oneplus with speed of updates.

I'm not convinced that's the case anymore. All reports say that Samsung are getting the security updates out really quickly, while OP are not. Also, the three years of upgrades from Samsung is a big plus (OP offer 2 years). Although Samsung are really slow to bring the new Android versions to their phones, they often already have similar features of their own in OneUI. And with Android updates being more incremental these days, I reckon it doesn't matter too much if they're delayed a few months.

Associate
I'm not convinced that's the case anymore. All reports say that Samsung are getting the security updates out really quickly, while OP are not. Also, the three years of upgrades from Samsung is a big plus (OP offer 2 years). Although Samsung are really slow to bring the new Android versions to their phones, they often already have similar features of their own in OneUI. And with Android updates being more incremental these days, I reckon it doesn't matter too much if they're delayed a few months.
Yeah, OS updates is what I meant. Security updates tend to come through around the 20th of the month on my Note9, so decent pacing. Did some reading on Android 11 onwards and how Google are actually breaking it down into smaller packages, so things like security updates will be handled through the Play Store in future thus cutting out any manufacturer input requirements. Certainly sounds like a much smarter way of dealing with so many phone makers adding their own features, let Google do their own OTA updates to the core parts then manufacturers can add their own tweaks

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm sure the FE will have better cameras. The only thing I really like about OnePlus phones is Oxygen OS.

You might be surprised if you sit oxygenos11 next to oneui 3.0

Samsung have really struggled to shake off it's android bloat image, but take a look at oneui3...or if you can find a device running oneui2.5 have a play. It's nowhere near as bad as you probably think.

What samsung have done in recent times, is at initial boot they ask you what apps you want, and what ones you don't. Plus, they have made it very easy to disable system stuff like bixby, music share, toolbox etc etc. It's simply a toggle switch in settings. You can make it very stock like in literally 10 seconds.

The doubling up of apps is now a non issue, which was a real pet hate of mine.

Last edited:
Soldato
after using my samsung tablet this last week I've been really impressed in how far samsung have come over the last couple of years. Most of the things which really annoyed me have been addressed.

Just bought a galaxy s20 5g brand new sealed off ebay for £499. Think that's a good price, certainly cheaper than using my works perkbox.

Now on the hunt for a case. My usual go to is spigen, so I'll check those out first.

Associate
Haven't had a Samsung since the S6, I'm very interested in the S20 FE to replace my Mate 20 Pro especially as it comes with the SD865.

One of the doubts I have is the drop in ram to 6gb, do you think there is any performance concerns with the ram drop?

Soldato
...especially as it comes with the SD865.

One of the doubts I have is the drop in ram to 6gb, do you think there is any performance concerns with the ram drop?

Im sure you’re aware, but only the 5G version has the 865 :)

Re: 6gb, i personally think you will notice a difference in the number of apps reloading. It won’t ruin the experience, but it’ll always be there while you own the phone.

I’ve had an 8gb phone which used to reload games regularly (but all other apps used to stay in memory) and a 12gb phone which hardly used to reload anything. 6gb puts me off the FE and Samsung have clearly decided that releasing the 8gb/256 version in the UK will tread too heavily on the toes of the ‘premium’ S20 lineup.

Soldato
Haven't had a Samsung since the S6, I'm very interested in the S20 FE to replace my Mate 20 Pro especially as it comes with the SD865.

My mate 20 pro has 6gb ram and at no point have I wished it had more! S20 FE definitely looking like my next upgrade given what we know about the pixel 5

Associate

I imported S20 Snapdragon model and it has 12gb ram. Shame storage is still 128gb.

Back
Top Bottom