1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

** The Official Space Flight Thread - The Space Station and Beyond **

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cosimo, 7 Aug 2011.

1. Colonel_Klinck

Soldato

RIP SN10 :eek:

2. The_One

Capodecina

i think it landed pretty hard and must of ruptured something it wasnt exactly a smooth touchdown

3. VaderDSL

Capodecina

I think they ran out of water sadly, there was definitely a leak from the bottom and when the water turned off, about 60 seconds later it went up. There was a fire ongoing I think on the side that it was leaning on, and when you freeze frame the explosion started at the bottom on the side that was crumpled.

4. Flibster

Caporegime

Pressure vessel failure? Bottom blew out forcing the rest of the craft upwards.

5. amigafan2003

Capodecina

Well, I don't think that one is going in a museum!

Impressive though SpaceX, impressive!

6. JRS

Capodecina

I mean...it took off, it flew up, it came back down, it landed and it stayed landed for a few minutes.

Good enough.

:D

7. Flibster

Caporegime

They fired up the fire suppression system again after they rapidly burnt off all the excess fuel *cough*

Maybe keeping the fire down while the methane leaked out was taking too suppressant or would take too long so they decided to allow it to kaboom?

Then took off again. Landing wasn't so good that time.

8. bliss

Wise Guy

I just couldn't help but laugh. :p

What a show!

9. Colonel_Klinck

Soldato

Yeah that is what it looked like. A fire under the skirt and probably just got too hot for possibly compromised pressure vessel after a hard touch down. Impressive stuff though.

10. no idea what

Capodecina

Looks like it only landed on one engine. 3 lit for the final flip, then one cuts out as expected, immediately followed by a second. Not sure if their engine cutoff procedure was wrong and incorrectly shut 2 engines down, or if one correctly shut down and one failed. Time will tell.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Pigeon_Killer

Caporegime

Guy on the SpaceX feed said one engine landing was planned.

12. no idea what

Capodecina

Oh really? I thought the whole idea of lighting 3 was to land on 2.

13. bliss

Wise Guy

Just watched the landing that was caught on the labpadre nerdle camera. The landing legs dropped but some or all failed to lock into place. They were swinging back and forth as starship touched down.

14. Grim5

Soldato

It landed hard, not hard enough to explode but it hit the ground, then bounced up slightly and hit the ground again. So velocity was not 0 at the point of impact to the energy transfer was pushed back through the rocket - the rocket may have sustained some damage on this landing. The fire is normal on engine cutoffs

15. Somnambulist

Capodecina

That shot from underneath as it was flipping to land was some proper looks like CGI from a sci-fi moment. Pity about it joining it’s brothers after a few mins but it looks like they won’t have to see too many more obliterated before one sticks the landing properly.

16. Longbow

Sgarrista

It was the same with SN9, the 2 engines help de-accelerate it enough for a suitable landing speed which it does on a single engine.

17. no idea what

Capodecina

Maybe that's where I'm getting confused!

18. PlacidCasual

Soldato

Bit dissappointed with myself, after the abort I gave up for the night and watched telly and missed it. The BBC version of the SpaceX stream was ace though. Just waiting for Everday Astornaut or Marcus House to get their video out hopefully with boom attached.

19. Malevolence

Capodecina

Yeah, just about to hit the hay so am hoping the videos will be edited and out by the time I return to the land of the living.

20. TNA

Capodecina

Amazing!

I wonder where they will be by SN20? Rapid progress being made.