** The Official Space Flight Thread - The Space Station and Beyond **

Soldato
Looks like it only landed on one engine. 3 lit for the final flip, then one cuts out as expected, immediately followed by a second. Not sure if their engine cutoff procedure was wrong and incorrectly shut 2 engines down, or if one correctly shut down and one failed. Time will tell.

x4wqGT4.jpg

xRsX8JX.jpg

gaf8CHd.jpg

I think they pre-light all engines prior to landing more as a precaution. From what I just read in previous test flights they tried lighting a single engine before landing and that failed resulting in a crash.

I guess at least this way they have two backup engines to engage braking thrusts if one engine doesn't work.

I was very impressed with the landing. It doesn't seem clear why it blew up though, news article mentioned something about one of the legs had caused it to tilt or something.

Soldato
I think they pre-light all engines prior to landing more as a precaution. From what I just read in previous test flights they tried lighting a single engine before landing and that failed resulting in a crash.

I guess at least this way they have two backup engines to engage braking thrusts if one engine doesn't work.

I was very impressed with the landing. It doesn't seem clear why it blew up though, news article mentioned something about one of the legs had caused it to tilt or something.

I may have got my wires crossed somewhere but I thought they were lighting 3 then shutting off one one they had 2 good engines confirmed.

Soldato
Just watched the video of this, I don't remember the constant stream coming out of the side on the other SN's, also, when they dropped to 2 engines, they both appeared to be burning different colours, odd?!
It did go off with a bit of a bang didn't it, wonder if that fire was the source of ignition, noticed the water jets didn't seem to be getting close to SN10..

Associate

I mentioned a few posts back that the landing legs not deploying properly was caught on Labpadre's nerdle camera stream but this video does an even better job of showing the problem. Also uses SN5 for comparison.

I'm not entirely sure the little legs would have dealt with the falcon 9-esque drop and bounce even if they had all fully locked into place. :p

Caporegime
Looks like it only landed on one engine. 3 lit for the final flip, then one cuts out as expected, immediately followed by a second. Not sure if their engine cutoff procedure was wrong and incorrectly shut 2 engines down, or if one correctly shut down and one failed. Time will tell.

x4wqGT4.jpg

xRsX8JX.jpg

gaf8CHd.jpg

Must have been a drone or something to get that view, looked like something out of a movie.

Soldato
I mentioned a few posts back that the landing legs not deploying properly was caught on Labpadre's nerdle camera stream but this video does an even better job of showing the problem. Also uses SN5 for comparison.

I'm not entirely sure the little legs would have dealt with the falcon 9-esque drop and bounce even if they had all fully locked into place. :p

Looks like they got to test the self destruct button :D

Soldato
they had the same view on the last 3 landing attempts, has to be a camera in/around the pad somewhere as when it flips and comes down lower it goes out of shot. 6 mins would work out right to be just before landing too.

Back
Top Bottom