** The Official Space Flight Thread - The Space Station and Beyond **

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

The whole thing was automated wasn't it? It would be like sitting at a 2 seater F1 car and call yourself a F1 driver.

But they aren't calling themselves spaceship pilots are they?

People seem to be confusing the terms pilot and astronaut as if they are the same thing.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
I feel that to call these people astronauts is an insult to the word astronaut. They are passengers, nothing more.

The technology is fantastic, that rocket landing back was incredible to watch and hopefully it will progress further but they're really not astronauts.

Eeeeennhh..

If we take that attitude, then Al Shepard and Gus Grissom weren't astronauts until their respective second flights since their first Mercury missions were suborbital lobs just like this one. And Yuri Gagarin had no control over his flight either - the Soviets at the time viewed pilot control of the spacecraft as a bug rather than a feature after all.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

And today they are passengers. It's a bit like me getting on a plane/car/bus/boat as passengers.

They were passengers today.

And astronauts.

The definition will probably have to change when consumer spaceflight becomes normal, but they are still astronauts as the definition stands today.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Who's the hell is Wally (this is rhetorical), I am talking about Bezos?

And Bezos still had training for this flight.

We're still a long way from handing a ticket over at a gate and going into space with no training.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Yes, he was involved directly with the training/operations of the mission and he orbited, and he trained to control the spacecraft manually if necessary :)

So in 2023 when they send the crew (and untrained to fly) up to the ISS on the fully automated Crew Dragon, the "passengers" wont be astronauts?

Why does the ability to fly the space craft have to be a qualifier to be an astronaut? 80% of the people who went up in the space shuttle couldn't fly it.

Back
Top Bottom