** The Official Space Flight Thread - The Space Station and Beyond **

Associate
NASA had plans to put people on the moon again in 2025 but I think that's slipped. I'm not sure who could say we're not allowed. After all Musk's plans are to go to Mars.

Soldato
They're not astronauts. It's official.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-57950149

Common sense prevails.

Yeh I saw this, had to read it a couple of times because I thought the new requirements were a bit ambiguous. I guess in relation to these sorts of flights this statement basically means no space tourists?

"demonstrated activities during flight that were essential to public safety, or contributed to human space flight safety".

It seems as though they are still leaving a bit of an open door as the associate administrator can overrule this.

"The new order notes that honorary awards can be given based on merit - at the discretion of the FAA's associate administrator."

Soldato
The Nauka module is cursed! What else can go wrong with it! Was supposed to launch in 2007 but constant issues with the fuel/engines kept pushing it back. Finally launched last week and immediately it had issues with the engines again and there were doubts it could get into the orbit to rendezvous with the ISS, after some troubleshooting the Russians eventually got the engine firing and it docked with the ISS, yesterday I think.

then sometime after it was docked and secured the engines on it fired unexpectedly, pushing the ISS out of correct orientation, they had to counter fire other thrusters to stabilise while they tried to shut the engines off.

I bet the astronauts on the ISS currently will be keeping a wary watch on it! Not confidence inspiring.

Soldato
Yeah, there were a few tweets earlier from some very ****** of ISS scientists/engineers accusing Russia of having very lax QC which needs to be fixed before they are allowed to dock anything with the ISS again.

On the lighter side.

22nGmrz.jpg

Deleted member 236143

D

Deleted member 236143

The sheer speeds that this is progressing. :eek:

The sheer speed and progress of SpaceX overall is amazing energy indeed. Years ago and the whole world laughing off this mad Elon Musk paypal guy about his Mars ****.
He is going to put people on Mars. Not NASA. Not Russia. Not China. Elon Musk is going to put a human being on Mars! That is just mental!
The second small step for man........
Not a bad thing to push for.

Back
Top Bottom