*** The Official WWDC 2020 thread - Keynote 22nd June at 18:00 BST ***

Commissario
3PZTWAO.png

Posting this in Software because WWDC is a developers conference and primarily about software (although there have been a few hardware announcements in the last couple of years).

What do we expect?

iOS 14 / iPadOS / tcOS 14
macOS 10.16
watchOS 7

There are rumours about a switch to AMD or ARM processors (see thread here.

Also rumours about a new AppleTV. This interests me as I need to replace my 4th gen AppleTV so I'm holding off buying the 4K model in anticipation of an announcement.

What else are you hoping for?

Soldato
Heard rumours about a new iMac though I'm surprised folks still buy them given they aren''t much more powerful than laptops now any way and it's super easy to connect an external display to any laptop now with USB-C/Thunderbolt.

I think the move to ARM will be the big announcement here. Be interesting to see if that announce any ARM based consumer/development hardware or just an emulator for xcode to develop/test it on current X86 devices?

WWDC tends to me more about software though and given the workload involved in switching to ARM I can see that being the focus of the event.

Commissario
OP
Heard rumours about a new iMac though I'm surprised folks still buy them given they aren''t much more powerful than laptops now any way and it's super easy to connect an external display to any laptop now with USB-C/Thunderbolt.
Each have their place. If I were going to replace my iMac, I'd be very happy to replace it with another iMac.

Soldato
If it's virtual this year, the biggest positive is to not to hear the claps every few seconds, they're so irritating because they interrupt the flow. I hope it's a very software focused one this year though, as I think there needs to be some refinement there more than hardware.

Soldato

When I was looking - which was a while back admittedly - there just weren't any good 5K displays unless you paid crazy money. I'll have to have a look and see if things have improved in that regard as it seemed at the time the market was going more towards ultra-wides.

Soldato
I'm pretty happy with my i9 iMac. If there was a new form factor iMac together with improved performance then I'd be tempted. But what I would really like is a beefed up Mac Mini so that I can plug in an ultra-wide display.

Lol. Enjoy that MacBook after 20 seconds on full load :)

Associate
Also rumours about a new AppleTV. This interests me as I need to replace my 4th gen AppleTV so I'm holding off buying the 4K model in anticipation of an announcement.

Hoping for a new ATV as well! Held off getting one as I've got the Firestick 4K which has been fine but recently got the Sonos ARC so I need ATV which does Dolby Atmos to fully utilise it.

Associate
My Apple TV 4K still seems very capable but I would love some kind of integrated speaker that's as good as the HomePods. I know you can set them up on AirPlay but it's a bit of hassle (especially if you AirPlay anything else to the HomePod(s) in between). Having some kind of Apple TV soundbar would be ace!

Back
Top Bottom