*** The Official WWDC 2020 thread - Keynote 22nd June at 18:00 BST ***

Associate
Surprised Apple hasn’t added always on display considering the whole 2020 lineup is reportedly using OLED.

But I guess we’re asking too much and gotta save some stuff for 10 years down the line:p

I only came for the iOS segment don’t own other apple products and I’m satisfied with what they showed.

Soldato
Was that actually running the x86 emulated version of the game on ARM hardware live in real time or was it running a specially created ARM version of the game?

Because if it was emulated using Rosetta2 that's a serious "drop the mic" moment there demoing how impressive their x86 emulation on ARM hardware is .........:eek:

It was emulated. I’m sure that was specifically said. It was running at 1080p. Looked pretty impressive.

No new iMacs FFS. The Mac Mini and MacBooks have been updated. Why the hell hasn’t the iMac been tweaked? Bit hacked off at that as I was after a new one.

Soldato
Was that actually running the x86 emulated version of the game on ARM hardware live in real time or was it running a specially created ARM version of the game?

Because if it was emulated using Rosetta2 that's a serious "drop the mic" moment there demoing how impressive their x86 emulation on ARM hardware is .........:eek:
He confirmed it was running emulated.
Or rather , not emulated as such rather auto converted on install.
It’s very impressive - graphical quality was still low on the game but it was 1080p and unoptimised .. I think everyone’s going to be very surprised

Soldato

He said it was downloaded from the Mac store completely unaltered.

Soldato

Binary Translation, hence 'Hair Force One' comments on how x86/x64 applications convert on installation (Rosetta).

Arm's typically limited instruction set brings in the question of performance though....

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

I seriously doubt these ARM chips are going to be replacing intel and Ryzen when it comes to gaming.

Curious to see performance for laptops/desktops though

Soldato
I seriously doubt these ARM chips are going to be replacing intel and Ryzen when it comes to gaming.

Curious to see performance for laptops/desktops though

I kind of assumed the opposite in that gaming and GPU performance seems like one of the main areas that will benefit from a move to ARM and Apple's own silicon.

The GPU in the iPad Pro seems way more capable that what Intel can manage with their integrated GPU's so we could see some really impressive visuals on ARM based Macbooks IMO. Plus they could theoretically run any iPad game in the store at the moment with equivalent graphical fidelity!

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

I kind of assumed the opposite in that gaming seems like one of the main areas that will benefit from a move to ARM and Apple's own silicon.

The GPU in the iPad Pro seems way more capable that what Intel can manage with their integrated GPU's so we could see some really impressive visuals on ARM based Macbooks IMO.

well laptop GPU performance maybe, but who games on laptops really?

Desktop wise, i seriously doubt it

Soldato
well laptop GPU performance maybe, but who games on laptops really?

Desktop wise, i seriously doubt it

Absolutely, I'm not suggesting it's going to substantially outperform a high-end Ryzen7/i7 laptop CPU with a discrete graphics card.

However, if Apple can make thin lightweight laptop that offers up iPad Pro levels of graphical performance (and there's no reason to think they wont given it's the same or a more powerful version of that chip) that'll be a paradigm shift as to what consumers will expect from a laptop in terms of visuals. Especially for those accustomed to the potato levels of GPU performance Intel offer.

Plus, like gaming consoles, devs will be able to optimise their games/apps for the exact ARM hardware CPU/GPU in the laptop.

Last edited:

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

Absolutely, I'm not suggesting it's going to substantially outperform a high-end Ryzen7/i7 laptop CPU with a discrete graphics card.

However, if Apple can make thin lightweight laptop that offers up iPad Pro levels of graphical performance (and there's no reason to think they wont given it's the same or a more powerful version of that chip) that'll be a paradigm shift as to what consumers will expect from a laptop in terms of visuals. Especially for those accustomed to the potato levels of GPU performance Intel offer.

Plus, like gaming consoles, devs will be able to optimise their games/apps for the exact ARM hardware CPU/GPU in the laptop.

But will there actually be a difference to visuals when the screen they're using is still quite low end? I know they're moving to MicroLED but in terms of resolution i suspect there will not be much difference.

I just cant see gaming becoming that big on ARM Macs and I don't think they plan on trying to compete in that sector properly anyway

Caporegime
I just cant see gaming becoming that big on ARM Macs and I don't think they plan on trying to compete in that sector properly anyway

I don't think it ever will as Apple doesn't seem the least bit bothered about preserving software compatibility. Even the annual updates to iOS can break apps until the developer updates them. But I did read rumours about them doing a dedicated gaming iMac.

Soldato
But will there actually be a difference to visuals when the screen they're using is still quite low end? I know they're moving to MicroLED but in terms of resolution i suspect there will not be much difference.

Apple makes some pretty impressive displays in their iPad pro. 120hz, etc. If they add similar tech and mini led then it would potentially be one of the best laptop displays on the market.

Given it's running MacOS it'll be easy to connect to an external display as well.

Soldato

Sure but given it's taken a fair while for devs/studios to be interested in making, a limited number of, games available on (Intel) MacOS (Valve/Steam massively helped) and that it's now vastly more complex having to port to completely new architecture*, would they bother?

Saying that, this is Apple with money to burn so they could literally throw cash at studios (like they've done for TV programming) and get triple A games ported and optimised for their shiny new ARM Macs ;)

It's great for iOS game devs though but, i'm not entirely convinced mobile games translate fully to desktop/laptop.

* I'm not a game dev so could be way off the mark here, but i'm imagining it would be in the same vain as having to port from a console game to Windows/PC (and visa-versa) and a overall a complete pain in the aris.

Back
Top Bottom