*** The Official WWDC 2020 thread - Keynote 22nd June at 18:00 BST ***

Associate
* I'm not a game dev so could be way off the mark here, but i'm imagining it would be in the same vain as having to port from a console game to Windows/PC (and visa-versa) and a overall a complete pain in the aris.

Games consoles and PC architecture have never been more similar. That's one of the reasons most big budget games come out on Xbox/PS4 and PC.

Soldato
To be fair the Venn diagram of those who play AAA games and only own a Mac hardly even cross. Not only that the most popular games like fortnite, mine craft and pubG are already ported to iOS and therefore ARM.

The sorts of games an average Mac user wants to play doesn’t exactly need a dedicated GPU and that’s who they target.

Soldato
Damm! My Late 2013 iMac doesn't make the cut for Big Sur :(

Gutted!! :(
My Early 2011 MacBook Pro is stuck on 10.13. The urge to buy a new one gets a little stronger each day, but now with the ARM announcement, I think I'll wait the MBP (or even just a normal MacBook depending on features/performance) release with the ARM chips in tbh. Just gotta hope this laptop keeps going for another year or two now. Going strong considering I bought it literally 9 years ago for £900 (edu discount at the time) - it's being a bargain when it comes to value/longevity.

Man of Honour
Soldato
Wait. Did they use someone in a wheelchair to talk about walking and cycling in Apple Maps? Hmmm.

As for ARM. Ok very different architectures so difficult to compare, but I've not seen anything that is even remotely in the same ball part as current I7 or I9.

I know they have said the developers will have to be clearer on privacy, but I really wish they do something about App updates. It's not ok to just say "includes bug fixes and improvements".

Any app where you are forced to upgrade to use it should have a properly summarised change-log.

Last edited:
Soldato
Wait. Did they use someone in a wheelchair to talk about walking and cycling in Apple Maps? Hmmm.

As for ARM. Ok very different architectures so difficult to compare, but I've not seen anything that is even remotely in the same ball part as current I7 or I9.

I know they have said the developers will have to be clearer on privacy, but I really wish they do something about App updates. It's not ok to just say "includes bug fixes and improvements".

Any app where you are forced to upgrade to use it should have a properly summarised change-log.

I’m a wheelchair user and wasn’t in the least bit offended by it....I think it was a mobility scooter anyway! :p

Soldato

Oof, completely agree! Developers! We demand full changelogs! :p

Associate
I was thinking of yester-year consoles rather than current generations (although Switch springs to mind) ;)

Either way, i'm sure everyone gets my drift :p

I'd probably argue that isn't an issue for older consoles. Switch ports of 360/PS3 games are a thing and Apple will have more grunt in their devices.

Only issue I would see would be current and upcoming future generation games but, no one buys a Mac for gaming.

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

I'm not convinced Apple are that interested in games (iPad/iPhone aside) anyway, who the hell is buying a Macbook or iMac for games anyway?

Yeah thats what I suspect. Sure it may be okay for the apple arcade games, but I doubt anyone will really be playing them. Its like how they bought gaming to the Apple TV, but barely anyone uses it (that i know of anyway)

Caporegime
I think one of the interesting things will be what can your computer now do whilst it's "off" as the A processors are always on. Probably things like background downloading whilst in sleep.

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

Gawd, some of the icons in Mac OS 11 is terrible.

same as ios and ipados but with weird shading affects... Not a fan at all.

But I guess they're just making all the OS' more and more like to each other. In a few years there won't even be a need to get a macbook pro cause the ipad will cover most use cases

Man of Honour
So Rosetta doesn’t support apps that virtualise x86_64 platforms, so no support for running Windows via VMWare, Parallels or any other software.

Also confirmed there’s no Bootcamp equivalent. Colour me surprised, amazed they are willing to alienate a lot of users like that

Soldato
So Rosetta doesn’t support apps that virtualise x86_64 platforms, so no support for running Windows via VMWare, Parallels or any other software.

Also confirmed there’s no Bootcamp equivalent. Colour me surprised, amazed they are willing to alienate a lot of users like that

Couldn’t the makers of VMware or Parallels not recompile or rebuild their apps to work natively on ARM? Sure that’s a big ask but there is decent demand for that kind of software and they can charge good money for it.

At the end of the day Rosetta 2 is only meant to be a stop gap like it was before.

Boot camp isn’t surprising as they are no longer running x86. Perhaps when windows for arm is more mature it might come back but you’ll still get the rubbish experience windows currently offers on arm. Priorities and all that I guess.

Caporegime
Unless there is some law against it, I can't see why VMware and Parallels won't make ARM versions of their software. Especially if Boot Camp is out of the window, their software sales will increase as it'll be the only way to run Windows programs.

Another thing I was wondering about - how will this move affect computer configurations? Will there be options like 4-core, 6-core, 8-core A12Z processors and things or will it just be one-size-fits-all A12Z processor?

Soldato
Unless there is some law against it, I can't see why VMware and Parallels won't make ARM versions of their software. Especially if Boot Camp is out of the window, their software sales will increase as it'll be the only way to run Windows programs.

Another thing I was wondering about - how will this move affect computer configurations? Will there be options like 4-core, 6-core, 8-core A12Z processors and things or will it just be one-size-fits-all A12Z processor?

I remember VMworld 2019 having ESXi running on ARM, although not heard much since then I would suspect that the major consumer level / homelab style apps like Fusion etc will be redeveloped as well.

https://virtualg.uk/esxi-7-on-raspberry-pi-arm/

Back
Top Bottom