*** The Official WWDC 2020 thread - Keynote 22nd June at 18:00 BST ***

Soldato
Also makes sense that they dropped the existing 12" MacBook a few months ago.

I didn't think they would do it but it's all falling together now.

Soldato
latest Ipad Pro really flies through any app you try and use on it. I'm sure the new arm chips will be really good once the software is all ready to go

Permabanned
Going to be an interesting few years. 2 years to complete the transition, that means a new ARM Mac Pro in a couple of years, wonder what chip that will have lol.

Associate
wwdc-2020-13.36.25-PM.png

This was well overdue as well.

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

Wait so, the Macs are now going to use the same processor as the ipads? Or are they getting their own specific chips

Associate
Add context to photos and videos with captions
View and edit captions to add context to your photos and videos, and easily find captions you’ve added in the Search tab. With iCloud Photos enabled, captions sync seamlessly across all your devices.

I like this.

Soldato
Wait so, the Macs are now going to use the same processor as the ipads? Or are they getting their own specific chips

They are going to use the same family (ARM) but performance will be scaled up to the level required, like how they scaled down the development for Apple Watch.

The Developer Hardware is shipping the latest A12Z from the 2020 iPad Pro, to allow developers to update their apps to run native on Apple Silicon.

Soldato
Shadow of the Tomb Raider at 1080p running x86 code and without a "proper" GPU?

Was that actually running the x86 emulated version of the game on ARM hardware live in real time or was it running a specially created ARM version of the game?

Because if it was emulated using Rosetta2 that's a serious "drop the mic" moment there demoing how impressive their x86 emulation on ARM hardware is .........:eek:

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't get how Apple can code this stuff in such a short space of time,

Rumours circulated when Apple released the A4, so i wouldn't be suprised if its been in the works since around then (in various forms). But you have to remember it's still in Beta and if it ends being like the PowerVR/Intel transition then it could take many years before performance, in the 'suite' applications, ends being equivalent/better to x86/x64 - it was painful when i worked in studios using ProTool's on new Intel systems; made G5's feel like supercomputers!

I’m a little concerned because I still have a handful of Windows apps that I need to run from time to time via a VM.

Emulation, only way they can do it without adding x86/x64 instruction sets. Be interesting to see what the performance will be like though...

...Intel must have lost a big chunk of change from losing Apple

Probably but Intel have fingers in a lot of pies, especially the server market and workstations, so i'm sure they'll be perfectly fine.

I'd expect this to start with an all new low power Macbook in the fall and scale up from there.

They'll start lower end, so i suspect an Air and/or a basic Macbook as that's where their own SOC makes sense (Apple control aside), ie - battery performance.

I'm still not convinced with anything "Pro" related where users need pure grunt but no one will know until developers get dev kits and leaked benchmarks appear.

Back
Top Bottom