*** The Official WWDC 2021 thread - Keynote 7th June at 18:00 BST ***

Soldato
Which is probably some of the reason why you'll be less happy about losing the insight - you think it's fine therefore think it's fine for others; however, others think it's not fine so this is a welcome block.

I think it's fine because I know in the grand scheme of things there's companies doing far more intrusive tracking than getting basic marketing insights from email tracking pixels, which are pretty inoffensive and innocuous however loud the privacy advocates will shout claiming you're letting these companies know everything about your life because of them.

Apple promotes this hard line privacy stance, yet their iOS14 app privacy feature seem pretty half arsed when you read that most of the large companies are completely ignoring or sidestepping it anyway. As always, the bigger companies with the advanced tech will figure out ways around it regardless and are ruining some of the basic original benefits of digital marketing for the entire industry and it's the small companies that will suffer as a result.

I do think overall the privacy push is good, but there is going to be collateral damage for small businesses with small ad budgets, which will just result in more money in the pockets of facebook, google et al due to inefficient spending

Soldato
Looks like my 2013 MBP might make it to 10 years old at this rate! :D
Yea, just waiting to see that compatibility list :D my late-2013 MBP got Big Sur compatibility and as this update seems very incremental I'm hoping I'll get Monterey too.

EDIT: Bummer, we're not supported :(

• iMac - Late 2015 and later
  • Mac Pro - Late 2013 and later
  • iMac Pro - 2017 and later
  • Mac mini - Late 2014 and later
  • MacBook Air - Early 2015 and later
  • MacBook - Early 2016 and later
  • MacBook Pro - Early 2015 and later

Last edited:
Soldato
Not sure about that Mac Safari redesign. Moving the location of the address bar based on the selected tab seems like a terrible UX decision.

EDIT: The iOS Safari changes look promising though

Commissario
OP
Yeah, I’m not sure I want all my tabs synchronised between iMac, MBA and iPhone. I have very different sets open on each device.

I suppose that’s what tab groups are for though.

Soldato
While the iOS 15 compatibility list is the same as iOS 14, a few of the new features still need an iPhone XS or newer (A12 Bionic and above) - spatial audio, the new Maps city experience, HomeKey, and even the new animated backgrounds for the Weather app revamp.

Man of Honour
Pretty disappointing on the iPad front; seems like the M1 chip in the iPP was more of a industrial strategy (consolidating chip models) than any real desire to give it more powerful apps/features.
Watching some of the stuff later showing the linkage between Macbook/iMac and iPad makes it clear that Apple see the iPad as an "in the middle" device.

Back
Top Bottom