The Official Xbox 360 FAQ & Sticky thread

Associate
ok i dont understand this?
is xbox proccesor much more powerful then any computer proccesor?
cos xbox has the 3core 3.3ghz
and pc has max of dualcore 2.8ghz

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Noble-Kebab said:
ok i dont understand this?
is xbox proccesor much more powerful then any computer proccesor?
cos xbox has the 3core 3.3ghz
and pc has max of dualcore 2.8ghz

The processor is different to PC processors, but it runs on the same tech i believe, just the different cores will be used from the outset to perform different tasks. It's potentiall very powerful, and probably equals a decent AMD X2 these days, just the X2s aren't fully taken advantage of I guess still.

Oh, your signature is too big also, have a read of the FAQ about signature sizes.

Associate
You know when you switch the 360 on and it does its startup logo and that "chime" when the circle appears - does that sound do it in surround? i.e. the sound starts at the front of the speakers and as the circle gets bigger and disappears off the screen, the sound comes from behind you?

I'm curious as I only have a stereo speaker setup here. Probably missing out on a ton of stuff! :(

Soldato
Echo toxin said:
You know when you switch the 360 on and it does its startup logo and that "chime" when the circle appears - does that sound do it in surround? i.e. the sound starts at the front of the speakers and as the circle gets bigger and disappears off the screen, the sound comes from behind you?

I'm curious as I only have a stereo speaker setup here. Probably missing out on a ton of stuff! :(

I think missing out on a surround sound chime aint going to affect you much hahaha

Man of Honour
OP
alexuslakes said:
i'm thinking of getting an xbox 360 for christmas, was just wondering if i could connect it to my laptop screen?? its an asus a6k. thanks.
Depends if the laptop has video-input. If it has VGA input, then great, if only component/S-Video, it wouldn't look as good.

Associate
DaveyD said:
Depends if the laptop has video-input. If it has VGA input, then great, if only component/S-Video, it wouldn't look as good.
well yes it has both but (this might sound stupid) is it for signal in and out or just one way? i know i can duplicate onto another screen but not sure if it accepts an incoming signal. it is a new laptop so its not like its shoddy.

Man of Honour
OP
alexuslakes said:
well yes it has both but (this might sound stupid) is it for signal in and out or just one way? i know i can duplicate onto another screen but not sure if it accepts an incoming signal. it is a new laptop so its not like its shoddy.
Probably wont accept an input, probably just output.

Soldato
I have a pretty old unbranded CRT tv (4:3). It has one SCART socket, will it work with the xbox 360 because I heard it needs an RGB SCART socket or something

Man of Honour
OP
weringo said:
I have a pretty old unbranded CRT tv (4:3). It has one SCART socket, will it work with the xbox 360 because I heard it needs an RGB SCART socket or something
It'll work fine. The standard SCART that comes with the 360 is only composite SCART anyway, RGB SCART just is the better quality option if you got out and find the cable and your TV supports it.

Associate
a quick question regarding my console.

my 360crashes on me now and again - this lead me to believe that perhaps its a duff unit and will die on me sooner or later. Of late its been okay, I bought GOW the other day and noticed that sometimes once the initial low res image has been drawn on the screen it takes upto a second or so for the high res texture to be 'placed on top'. Is this shortcomings of the hardware or a possible fault with my machine?

Man of Honour
OP
player said:
a quick question regarding my console.

my 360crashes on me now and again - this lead me to believe that perhaps its a duff unit and will die on me sooner or later. Of late its been okay, I bought GOW the other day and noticed that sometimes once the initial low res image has been drawn on the screen it takes upto a second or so for the high res texture to be 'placed on top'. Is this shortcomings of the hardware or a possible fault with my machine?
From what I have read on here, it sounds like it's more a fault with the game rather than that of the console.

Soldato
Finally getting a 360 tomorrow :D I was going to get it today but a certain crappy high street store said they would shut at 6 but were closed when I got there at 5:10.

Anyway I was wondering if I played the 360 on my monitor, a Belinea 1925S1W using a VGA cable and playing at 1360×768, would the game get stretched to the edges of the screen but keeping the correct aspect ratio (16:9) or would it stretch to the corners of the screen?

Associate
Im thinking of getting a 360 and running it on my 19" crt monitor, and I know a lot of games are designed to be run in widescreen. So if i set the 360 to a 4:3 res like 1280x1024 will it automatically run in a letterbox mode, or do I have to set it to a 16:9 res and then manually faff about with the monitor controls to stop it looking stretched vertically?

Also, as its a crt monitor, I'm worried about refresh rates. As you know...on a pc you can force higher refresh rates using software. I'm not sure if you can do this on the xbox - 60hz on a crt is not so good for the eyez :)

Man of Honour
OP
The 360 will only output in 60hz I believe.

As for resolutions, if you set a 4:3 res like 1280x960, it'll give you black bars top and botton, resulting in a widescreen picture with the correct ratio.

Associate
"Also please note that the Xbox 360 renders everything in 720p, and then scales up/down accordingly based on what your TV output is."

Although this is true, whilst playing the Tomb Raider Legend demo I noticed the framerate took a hit in places at when running at 720p or higher, however running at a lower resolution (e.g 640x480) the framerate seemed more stable - I didnt notice any slowdown whatsoever. Having said that, this is the only game so far that I've noticed this.

Back
Top Bottom