The Official Xbox 360 FAQ & Sticky thread

Associate
As a quick note - the returns for a dead console work slightly differently to how hilly explained them now. I started the returns process last night as my console is doing the three red rings of light. Differences now are:

- Support DO NOT supply an empty box, just a shipping label. You need to find a box and appropriate packaging for yourself. Not a big deal (i am able to nab a load of bubble wrap and a decent box from work).

- You now send only the console back. You keep hold of your HDD, leads, controllers etc.

Other than that everything else is the same.

Matt

Soldato
player said:
Guys, when are they planning on releasing the reworked xbox 360 (not the elite), the one with the new internal design etc?

Rumours are that it has been "soft launched" and that the HDMI premium consoles (presumably with the 65nm parts) are available, but MS aren't confirming this so they can sell through the old stock.

I'd like to know as well. May delay buying the Elite for a couple of weeks if it means getting rid of the 90nm ones from the shops.

Associate
At the beginning of the thread I noticed the spec was only up to 1080i but I have a version connected via component with an HD DVD drive attached outputting 1080P through my TV alongside my PS3 60GB outputting the same resolution. So I would update the thread if I were you.
I have a Toshiba HD-E1 and that outputs up to 1080i and there is a noticeable difference in quality. Most notabley is the lack of flicker during action films and 1080 Video.
Like Sky, the worst thing about Sky HD is 1080i in sports which gives a juddering effect on motion instead of free motion and movement. Most games are in 720P anyway so the higher resolution doesn't effect gameplay just HD decoding in HI Def movies.

Soldato
The 360 will only output in 60hz I believe.

As for resolutions, if you set a 4:3 res like 1280x960, it'll give you black bars top and botton, resulting in a widescreen picture with the correct ratio.
Hi there.

Can some nice soul confirm that this is definitely the case?

My friend's offered to buy me a 360 Elite for my birthday (we usually go a bit nuts on each others presents) but I've got a list of problems about actually owning a 360 and I'm wondering if I should choose the practical present (photography stuff) over the exciting one!

I have a few questions:

1. The only screen I could use for the 360 would be my 22" LaCie CRT monitor. It's got dual VGA ports, but it's a 4:3 aspect ratio. I can't really afford a HD capable screen right now - will I get a decent picture from the 360 on a CRT?

2. I'm slightly concerned about the reliability issues around the 360 and I'm wondering if I should wait for the 65nm Elite models to start surfacing? Time wouldn't be an issue - I've waited this long for a 360 so I can wait longer if need be!

3. I haven't got an all-singing all-dancing audio setup in the room where my PC is; I use a set of Creative Gigaworks T20's for my sounds. Will the 360 suit these and a relatively small room?

Soldato
1. The only screen I could use for the 360 would be my 22" LaCie CRT monitor. It's got dual VGA ports, but it's a 4:3 aspect ratio. I can't really afford a HD capable screen right now - will I get a decent picture from the 360 on a CRT?
Yes, but it will be downscaled obviously
Bear in mind the selling point of a elite is the hdmi which you are kind of skipping :p

2. I'm slightly concerned about the reliability issues around the 360 and I'm wondering if I should wait for the 65nm Elite models to start surfacing? Time wouldn't be an issue - I've waited this long for a 360 so I can wait longer if need be!
3 yr warranty on them afaik, we wont know if they have fixed it till they start breaking really

3. I haven't got an all-singing all-dancing audio setup in the room where my PC is; I use a set of Creative Gigaworks T20's for my sounds. Will the 360 suit these and a relatively small room?
Cant see why not, that issue is really seperate from the console itself

Soldato
Yes, but it will be downscaled obviously
Bear in mind the selling point of a elite is the hdmi which you are kind of skipping :p
For the sake of £50 over the price of a Premium, wouldn't you say the Elite was the better buy? I thought Premium's were starting to trickle through with HDMI ports on them anyway? And irrespective of that, isn't VGA the way to go?

I'm sure at some point in the next 12 months I'll either be replacing my CRT TV with a Plasma or LCD or replacing this LaCie with a LCD screen.

3 yr warranty on them afaik, we wont know if they have fixed it till they start breaking really
Fair enough!

Cant see why not, that issue is really seperate from the console itself
I agree it's got nothing to do with the console, but just wanted to check it would be a suitable arrangement.

Soldato
Anyone bought a Premium recently? Interested to hear if the HDMI models are trickling through yet as I've seen a few sites offering 'guaranteed version 2' HDMI-equipped Premiums.

Associate
I bought a 360 yesterday, I'm wondering, is there an easy way of getting music onto it from my PC or am I going to have to pop every cd I own in there and select which tracks to rip? I had a swift browse on google for an answer but they mainly seem concered with the original xbox.

Man of Honour
OP
I bought a 360 yesterday, I'm wondering, is there an easy way of getting music onto it from my PC or am I going to have to pop every cd I own in there and select which tracks to rip? I had a swift browse on google for an answer but they mainly seem concered with the original xbox.

If you have your PC connected to the network the 360 is, then you can stream the music from there. Else you can plug in MP3 players / portable HDDs and play from there. Easier in the long run.

Associate
Yeah you can no problem :) unless some games don't allow it?

Ahhhh, got that sorted out now, had it setup as a media extender and thought that should have let me get at my music in game, but didn't have the media sharing set up seperately, so that's done now. \o/

I love how this thing can interface with windows live messenger too!

Associate
Quik q about how MS warranty works, Thinking of buying a 360 online and getting it delivered to my work address. Would I still be able to claim from MS in case of a faultand have them send to my home addy? Or will console need to be returned to original shipping address?

Soldato
Quik q about how MS warranty works, Thinking of buying a 360 online and getting it delivered to my work address. Would I still be able to claim from MS in case of a faultand have them send to my home addy? Or will console need to be returned to original shipping address?

Won't make any difference where it gets delivered too, warranty is for the console

Back
Top Bottom