Man of Honour
OP
My day at the Olympics part 5:

oly74.jpg

oly75.jpg

oly66.jpg

oly76.jpg

Soldato
SLR battery decided to die on me 15 minutes before the race but here's my video of the 100m final that I managed to get with my old little camera from our strangely positioned seats! The bottle ****** (person who tosses) was a few rows in front. You can see him chucking it at 0:17.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Hey, Captain Planet, on the final loop I was standing next to those guys with the Spanish flag :D

Oh man, I've done so much Olympics stuff in the last few weeks.

This is the lad running the torch through my home town:

Olympic%20Torch.jpg

Rinky-Dink, the well-travelled work Pink Panther accompanied me to the opening ceremony:

Rinky1.JPG

I took my bins so he could get a better look:

Rinky2.JPG

I got a load at the men's road race, which was over near where I work, but I haven't uploaded them yet.

I got a shot of Wiggins in the TT though, skiving when I should have been at work :D:

Wiggins.jpg

We scored some last-minute beach volleyball tickets for Saturday night. This was crazy. It starts off with music, beer, clapping and Hula dancers:

beach-volleyball-1.jpg

Then more music and the girls come out and start playing:

beach-volleyball-2.jpg

But practically nobody actually watches the game because it's all clapping, Mexican waves, drinking, OLÉ!, stamping and then the crowd starts messing around and doing stuff like a 300+ people congo!

beach-volleyball-4.jpg

Up early again on Sunday for the women's marathon. Now this was a messed up day. We scored some comps to get into the stretch along the Mall. My back was playing up so we decided to duck into the Foreign Office for a sit down in the dry and ended up watching most of the race, just the two of us and a security guard, on a giant screen in the Grand Hall! Then went outside for the final stretch and pitched up next to those guys with the Spanish flag in Captain Planet's pic! I missed the leaders because I clicked the camera onto the wrong setting, but I managed to get Freya Murray in mid air:

marathon-murray.jpg

Finally, and probably the last of my Olympic adventure is the Greco Roman wrestling I went to this afternoon. As I said in the other thread, Iraq v. Iran, Russia v. Georgia and USA v. Cuba, raised a few chuckles between us! Here is a couple of the 120kg guys grappling on the floor:

Greco-Roman_1.jpg

Greco-Roman_2.jpg

Soldato
SLR battery decided to die on me 15 minutes before the race but here's my video of the 100m final that I managed to get with my old little camera from our strangely positioned seats! The bottle ****** (person who tosses) was a few rows in front. You can see him chucking it at 0:17.

I saw that bottle come flying in when watching the race on TV, but promptly forgot about it.

Man has been arrested and charged.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-19145035

Soldato
Hey, Captain Planet, on the final loop I was standing next to those guys with the Spanish flag :D

Some excellent photos you have there! We were cheering on Murray, looks like that photo was right about where we saw her? Shame I didn't catch you on camera! Standby, those photos were from my phone, when I look at the GFs compact she may have some more at that location :)

Soldato
There are a few rules when it comes to attending a major sporting event in the UK.

1) Never aim a big camera at a man with a gun in case he mistakes you for a terrorist. Or lunch, apparently.

IMG_1720.jpg

2) Never aim a big camera at a freshly famous athlete in case he mistakes you for a pap. Or ginger stalker.

IMG_1725.jpg

3) Never aim a camera at a minor media celebrity because... well, because they already get enough attention.

IMG_1726.jpg"

4) Never get a job in advertising, because you may be forced to write drivel like this.

IMG_1727.jpg"

5) Never allow yourself to think "what a lovely day!"

IMG_1732.jpg"

Because...

IMG_1739.jpg"

Just as you're trying to watch our cyclists collect another medal, with the velodrome in the background...

IMG_1743.jpg"

It is likely to rain a bit.

IMG_1748.jpg"

Then a bit more.

IMG_1753.jpg"

And some more.

IMG_1754.jpg"

Then it will start raining properly, because by now it's got the hang of it, and wants to qualify for the Rio raining team.

IMG_1757.jpg"

IMG_1811.jpg

But if you think positive thoughts and relish our unique summer weather, the sun may kimonout again.

IMG_1812.jpg

Eventually.

IMG_1901.jpg

Giving you chance to see the incredible crowds rather than just the inside of your hood or the underneath of your umbrella.

IMG_1936.jpg

IMG_1945.jpg

You may even remember that you're supposed to be visiting an actual event.

IMG_1823.jpg

IMG_1824.jpg

IMG_1837.jpg

IMG_1841.jpg

IMG_1872.jpg

Or maybe it's a show, not an event. Strange sport. Tough, but strange... and pointless. But curiously entertaining all the same... even if you have to be on your guard in case you're staring a bit too hard at a 15 year old.

IMG_1876.jpg

And here's an entrant in the asim18-a-like competition.

IMG_1873.jpg

Eventually it was time to head for the hills at the end of a superb experience.

IMG_1970.jpg

But it was very hard to walk past the stadium without frequent pauses to listen to the crowd's roar. It was enough to raise goosebumps. Somewhere in there Usain Bolt and the fastest men on the planet were performing.

IMG_1972.jpg

There were a few distractions to take your mind off it...

IMG_1978.jpg

...but walking away from the Park at the end of a 26 hour day was very hard. And not just because I was completely cream crackered!

IMG_1985.jpg

Soldato
Spent Tuesday in town to catch the triathlon and evening semi-finals of the beach volleyball. The latter was a pretty damp affair but the stadium still packed out even if it didn't perhaps rock as hard as the players would have wanted.

A couple of snaps from the day here - for the full set pop over to Flickr and have a look Olympics London 2012 Day 11 - a set on Flickr

Alistair Brownlee wondering where everyone else is by Greg Kingston, on Flickr

The chasing pack 2 by Greg Kingston, on Flickr

Ross serves by Greg Kingston, on Flickr

Reinder Nummerdo by Greg Kingston, on Flickr

And, for those that believe they've seen rain at the Olympics...!

London 2012 beach volleyball weather by Greg Kingston, on Flickr

London 2012 beach volleyball weather 2 by Greg Kingston, on Flickr

Back
Top Bottom