The Olympics in Image and Video

Soldato
Blimey Sean, you had a great seat! The clip gives a good idea what it was like to be there.

I rounded my Olympic experience off with a trip to Victoria Park for the closing ceremony among a humongous crowd. I won't say it was the greatest experience of my life, but when the fireworks went off at the end and you could finally see how close we were, it made the long evening worthwhile.

Arriving at about 5:30pm the queues were nowhere near as bad as Hyde Park on Friday.

f4050382.jpg

f4094350.jpg

f5166670.jpg

f5408142.jpg

Z4zAwtZOsT6UGbf2FXQwa9MTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0

f18263950.jpg

f18430414.jpg

f18604366.jpg

IMG_2350.jpg

IMG_2363.jpg

IMG_2383.jpg

IMG_2391.jpg

IMG_2398.jpg

IMG_2418.jpg

Nothing too spectacular there, but hand held & 1600iso isn't a great combination. :)
https://picasaweb.google.com/103830313279701032127/12thAug2012

Man of Honour
OP
simulatorman, excellent photos and videos - the panorama shots in particular! Sorry if you have already posted this, but what camera and settings are you using? Thanks.

The ones from the Olympic stadium were taken with a Canon PowerShot G1 X and from Wembley with a PowerShot S100.

Olympic Day 9 all with Panorama mode framing, jpeg with evaluative metering.

This one, hand framed, raw, P mode with centerweighted metering.

Olympic Day 13 hand framed, jpeg, P mode with centerweighted metering.

Wembley, both hand framed raw, P mode with evaluative metering.

The EXIF data should still be on the images. Stitching was all done in Photoshop. :)

Soldato
https://plus.google.com/photos/103830313279701032127/albums/5786868628528245217

I couldn't resist the temptation to go and get crushed in Trafalgar Square for the parade.

IMG_2728.jpg

It was a bit silly by the time the parade arrived, with folk trying to squeeze into gaps no sane person would try, and as a result I lost most of my carefully planned view. But such is the nature of mass events.

The whole Olympic experience might be best summed up by this shot...

IMG_2825.jpg

These seven weeks or so have been an unexpected bubble of captivating brightness, set against the mundane backdrop of everyday life, making us all think a little harder about where happiness comes from.

Alternatively it might just be an example of what you can do with 9 billion quid and seven years of preparation. ;)

If I had 9 billion I certainly wouldn't spend it like this...

IMG_2723.jpg

Though I might spend it on Laura Trott...

IMG_2771.jpg

...if she could ever tear her attention away from her phone. I'm not sure what the Five Live bloke's thinking, but I can guess. Though he might just be broadcasting her texts to the nation.

My 9 billion might be better spent buying a better viewpoint to letch from.

IMG_2740.jpg

Or cleaning some statues.

IMG_2737.jpg

Alternatively I could buy a factory making Union Flags. Or a landfill site to put them all in when autumnal gloom descends.

IMG_2746.jpg

Or I could make better use of it and buy this lot a drink for managing to keep the smiles going for hours.

IMG_2763.jpg
IMG_2767.jpg

IMG_2766.jpg

IMG_2799.jpg
IMG_2761.jpg

IMG_2816.jpg

IMG_2792.jpg

All too soon the parade had moved on, the aircraft had passed over...

IMG_2848.jpg

...and it was time to escape towards a little sleep before work.

IMG_2866.jpg

So all that remains is to thanks the thousands like these...

IMG_2716.jpg

...who helped make it such an exciting summer. Without their volunteered time the bill might have been more like 10 billion. :)

IMG_2832.jpg

Soldato
Absolutely fantastic pics throughout this thread guys.

Here are a couple of mine from Sunday's marathon.
I was going to the hospital to see my dad (chemo therapy) and just as I got out of St Pauls Stn I heard a racket and quickly grabbed my camera and squeezed into a spot. Got some pics with this being one of them (cropped):

img2724jk.jpg

Walked a little further down and got this one too:

img2740a.jpg

An hour or so later my missus called and told me her waters broke! She was 6 weeks early and I thought it must have been something else. Lo and behold she gave birth by c-section to our first child. :cool:

Soldato
Lo and behold she gave birth by c-section to our first child. :cool:
Congratulations, you got your own little Olympic souvenir! You realise whether it's a boy or girl it's got to be called Marathon, right?

Ok, maybe Marathon for a boy and Snickers for a girl.

(Good luck to your father too. It must be a bit of an emotional roller coaster for you at the moment).

Soldato
Congratulations, you got your own little Olympic souvenir! You realise whether it's a boy or girl it's got to be called Marathon, right?

Ok, maybe Marathon for a boy and Snickers for a girl.

(Good luck to your father too. It must be a bit of an emotional roller coaster for you at the moment).

Amazing, huge congratulations to you and your missus :)

Thanks guys.
Baby is still at hospital though under neonatal intensive care.

Soldato
A sample of my full set here, starting with the Olympic Torch Relay to the Closing Ceremony: http://www.flickr.com/photos/sameermannick/sets/72157631660674437/

Olympic Torch in Winchester by *SM*, on Flickr

Olympic Park by *SM*, on Flickr

Paralympics Athletics by *SM*, on Flickr

Table Tennis by *SM*, on Flickr

Table Tennis by *SM*, on Flickr

Sitting Volleyball by *SM*, on Flickr

Boccia by *SM*, on Flickr

Sitting Volleyball by *SM*, on Flickr

Paralympics Closing Ceremony by *SM*, on Flickr

Paralympics Closing Ceremony by *SM*, on Flickr