US: The Orville

Soldato
Friday's episode was awful, they make first contact with a "pre-warp" civilization based on just radio message, they do no research on the culture at and you can guess that something happens. Anyway, for reasons (which make little sense) two of them are captured and instead of waiting to be rescued or for the "union" to arrange release they attempt to escape murdering at least a dozen alien guards, they were there a month tops.

To top it off shortly after they get released they celebrate the characters birthdays as if nothing happened, there were some good episodes in season 1 but season 2 so far is just dire.

Sorry for spoilers, just do yourself a favour and don't watch it.

That's the only episode of it I've ever caught! What really hit me about it was that the internal logic for why their solution (with the solar sail) would work was just ... completely absent. Why would they think that a star reappearing would immediately make them change their minds about everything? It just doesn't hang together. It's like the worst kind of Deus Ex.

Soldato
Completely disagree. The Orville has had some truly dire episodes this season. Discovery finally feels like trek again.
The quality of the first few episodes of season 2 weren't great, the 2nd one I believe was an old unused episode from season 1 which they have appeared to recycled for season 2 but since then it's got better and better, A Happy Refrain will have you wife/girl friend in tears I've not seen anything that good from any sci-fi show for years.

STD........its i like watching poorly written fan fiction at times, the writers just don't seem to be able to create any likeable characters. The Orville lost one it's most liked characters this season and Jessica Szohr has replaced Halston Sage and even though the Talla character has only had one episode where she was the focus her likeability us all ready ahead of any of main characters in STD.

Soldato
I understand ToS, TNG, all Treks had underlying messages, be it racism, sexism etc and that's fine, but The Orville is shoving this down our necks on most if not all recent episodes.

I would like to see story arcs, battles, new life and new civilisations, if i want drama and programs about relationship issues and 'will they, won't they', then i'll watch Corrie/Friends.

ETA i was so incensed about how preachy The Orville has become that i sent an angry Tweet to the showmakers - take that Seth!!!

R3X

R3X

Soldato
There are 7 more episodes left..... and I feel they will add the 'budget' or explosions, storyline's and action towards the end.

Rotten tomato currently score season 2 93%, am guessing many women scored that one.

Permabanned
That's the only episode of it I've ever caught! What really hit me about it was that the internal logic for why their solution (with the solar sail) would work was just ... completely absent. Why would they think that a star reappearing would immediately make them change their minds about everything? It just doesn't hang together. It's like the worst kind of Deus Ex.

Yeah, it never made any sense. There are actually quite a few methods to judge the distance to a source of light so for them not to investigate the reappearing star was odd, it wouldn't have taken them long to figure it out.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm still enjoying it but i think series 2 is much weaker. Strange, on IMDB 'A Happy Refrain' is one of the highest reated this series and it was easily my least favourite. No accounting for taste :p

Soldato
I'm still enjoying it but i think series 2 is much weaker. Strange, on IMDB 'A Happy Refrain' is one of the highest reated this series and it was easily my least favourite. No accounting for taste :p
It was by far my favourite, well written, directed and acted. It probably was boosted by the weak STD episode in the week before so looked good in comparison.

My biggest criticism is the pacing of the season so far hasn't been well thought out. To many Macled and character based episodes and not enough action imo. That should change in the next episode, unknown space and finally a bit action.

Soldato
Holy poop! What started out as yet another emotion and feelings episode soon took a turn!

Episode was very reminiscent of the Borg and I initially thought that that's what the Kaylon were doing, assimilating other species.

Best episode this season however you just know love is going to save the day. Isaac will realise his love for the doc and her kids and he'll turn on his own kind.

Soldato
Bloody excellent episode that! So glad it ended up being sinister. For a moment I had a nagging doubt that they might've taken the easy, touchy feely, route of the skeletons being the bodies of the original Kaylons who had transferred their consciousnesses across to the artificial bodies.

Soldato
Holy mother of god was that good! I would never have thought Gordon would have such a good singing voice, Gordon also had the best one liner 'I bet that gives you cancer'.

Some nods their to Empire Strikes Back and Bespin, Cylons and Best of Both Worlds (add in Cyberman and Darleks pretty much a nod to every major sci-fi show ever made). Again excellent writing all this build over a season and a half for this payoff now I can't wait for next week.

Penny Johnson clearly has a thing of Emissarys!

Last edited:
Soldato
Well that was a out of nowhere genuine surprise. Tone really did take a huge turn there! Knew something had to be brewing but figured Krill or something.

just thinking though. We see Issac taken away and they open his head and attach some device to his chest, was it reprogramming etc? Someone else controlling him or all of them?

Last edited:

R3X

R3X

Soldato
So true felt like another boring episode but they surprised the fans for once.

Time for the action and gfx :)

Soldato
Another great episode, but called it! Shame it was wrapped up so quickly and neatly though - could have stretched out an epic battle over a few episodes. But it looks like they will be back at some point.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
We enjoyed the last two episodes a lot also. Hopefully they will see how well it worked and how people enjoyed it and go more in this direction. Overall enjoying this show more than Discovery. Still got many episodes of that piling up and don't feel the rush to watch them :(

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Now I know what Adrianne Palicki was saying in the convention when she was asking fans to wait since orville is building up to better episodes and it will showcase but later on...

The 2 parter was solid but yeah rushed is what it was the last 5 minutes wrapped it up just like a standard tng episode. Agree with above comments it could have been spanned across the whole season ala like the dominion wars and at least a reason to watch orville rather then watching Moclans pouring baby oil all over each other.

I got a bad feeling the next episode will be back to normal like nothing even happen.... the TNG effect I call it

Back
Top Bottom