US: The Orville

Permabanned
Friday's episode was awful, they make first contact with a "pre-warp" civilization based on just radio message, they do no research on the culture at and you can guess that something happens. Anyway, for reasons (which make little sense) two of them are captured and instead of waiting to be rescued or for the "union" to arrange release they attempt to escape murdering at least a dozen alien guards, they were there a month tops.

To top it off shortly after they get released they celebrate the characters birthdays as if nothing happened, there were some good episodes in season 1 but season 2 so far is just dire.

Sorry for spoilers, just do yourself a favour and don't watch it.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Its been ok so far its basically a direct rip off of the TNG naturally with some light humor thrown in.

You have to ignore those short falling's as best you can ie killings and crime just like any other tv or film otherwise your brain wont enjoy the rest.

Since discovery and the odd scifi show here and there we don't really have any real sci-fi shows with budget so ill enjoy orville :)

Soldato
I enjoyed the First Contact episode - this isn't Trek and there is no prime directive therefore i'm just enjoying the show for what it is.

This weeks episode is pretty dire though! I dislike the doctor and her family and a whole episode yet again dedicated to her - bleurgh!!!

Eta: apart from the scene with Isaac in his pants - that was hilarious.

Last edited:
Soldato
The problem I feel with The Orville is it is a little too pantomimesk to me. You never really feel like there is any threat as such and Seth looks smug the whole time. He has the sort of face you just want to punch.

"The Orville is an American science fiction comedy-drama series created by and starring Seth MacFarlane"

Also Seth and Chris Pratt are my men crush.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
haha quite true about seth, as much of a genius he is, him being captain here the smugness factor is off the scale.

You do have to ignore its star trek kinda even though its almost impossible to do so since its so similar to next generation, it has that classic trek story telling arc of a 'Start' usually all going well, then quickly a 'problem' introduced either early or half way into it, then a 'solution' which either works or fails leading to 'fireworks' and the end followed by the 'real solution'.

Sometimes I get the feeling Orville is it trying to take the biscuit that much on TNG since its not actually funny.

Its repetitive galore and somehow worked well for TNG and Voyager, DS9 had it also but become even more arc driven in the later on seasons with dominion wars.

Anyone notice Krill baddie race are just the Jem hadar from Ds9 ?

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Watched the last episode and watching Captain Siskos bird getting it on with fake data was pretty bland and budget saving, it doesn't come remotely as good or funny as tasha yars 10 second scene where she tested if data's fully functional.

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
Watched the last episode and watching Captain Siskos bird getting it on with fake data was pretty bland and budget saving, it doesn't come remotely as good or funny as tasha yars 10 second scene where she tested if data's fully functional.

I don't know what I watched but it was awful. What were they trying to achieve?!!!

Soldato
The last two episodes of The Orville have put the series firmly at the front of being the best sci-fi show around especially since STD has been average at best this year (they need to bring back Jason Isaacs asap). Last weeks episode 'A Happy Refrain' I'm struggling to find the words to describe just how good it was, so well written and the performs by Penny Jearld and Mark Jackson were excellent and this weeks episode was strong as well even though I sighed at the start as this was going to be another Macled episode but it also aloud Jessica Szohr to show off her acting chops and flesh out her character a bit.

Man of Honour
The last two episodes of The Orville have put the series firmly at the front of being the best sci-fi show around especially since STD has been average at best this year (they need to bring back Jason Isaacs asap). Last weeks episode 'A Happy Refrain' I'm struggling to find the words to describe just how good it was, so well written and the performs by Penny Jearld and Mark Jackson were excellent and this weeks episode was strong as well even though I sighed at the start as this was going to be another Macled episode but it also aloud Jessica Szohr to show off her acting chops and flesh out her character a bit.

Completely disagree. The Orville has had some truly dire episodes this season. Discovery finally feels like trek again.

Back
Top Bottom