1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The PLO and Hamas

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Merlin5, 3 Jun 2010.

1. Merlin5

Capodecina

Where does the PLO fit into all this stuff going on with Gaza and the blockade? Are they with or against Hamas?

According to an article written in 1996: "The May 1994 agreement that spells out the terms of PLO control over the Gaza Strip and the city of Jericho explicitly required it to "take all measures necessary to prevent" terrorists operating on its territory from attacking Israelis. The Oslo II accords of September 1995, which gave the PLO and its governing arm, the Palestinian Authority (PA), control over seven major cities in Judea and Samaria (the West Bank), reaffirmed that obligation: "The Palestinian Police will act systematically against all expressions of violence and terror."

At that time, Shimon Peres had also said, "Why should we chase the Hamas when the PLO can do it for us?"

If Hamas are controlling gaza, does that mean the PLO aren't anymore?

2. Gaidin109

Mobster

Pretty much. The Palestinian Authority have no control in Gaza since Hamas won the last election.

Hamas are not a member of the PLO. Fatah the largest party within the PLO and Hamas are deadly rivals.

Last edited: 3 Jun 2010
  3. Merlin5

Capodecina

So the PLO are like a governing body that comprises lots of smaller organisations, is that how it works? Is Hezbollah a member or rival of the PLO?

4. Floogie

Hitman

Yes, that's how it works.

Hezbollah are primarily based within Lebanon and are Lebanese, so they exist outside the sphere of the PLO and Palestine. I think Hezbollah had low-level ties with the PLO, but I think these are now diminished as they seem to be more closely aligned with Hamas recently.

5. Merlin5

Capodecina

Ok thanks. I should probably have posted this thread in GD rather than SC, but, ah well.

6. Yas786

Caporegime

You probably wouldnt have got a straight answer in GD...so you were better off posting in here if you want to get rid of childish remarks that happen in GD.

7. Gaidin109

Mobster

It should be said that extremist groups such as the Al-Aqsa Martyrs who operate in the Gaza Strip are not affliated with Hamas, and have been responsible for a significant amount of the Rocket fire into Israel in recent years. The Al-Aqsa Martyrs claim to be afffliated to Fatah, claiming to be their militant wing. Fatah distance themselves from this claim but evidence exists that they have financed the militant group in the recent past.

I mention this because Israel blame all rocket attacks out of Gaza on Hamas supported groups, this is not true and highlights just how complex the situation on the ground is.

8. dowie

Capo Crimine

hezbollah is a political/terrorist org in Lebanon - they are currently an opposition party - the military/terrorist wing is recognised by the lebanese govt and they're pretty much allowed to crack on and lob missiles at Israeli homes

PLO were the governing party in Gaza, they lost the election Hamas is now in control - Israel isn't happy with this result and so has decided to collectively punish all 1.5 million Palestinians with a blockade - UNHCR thinks this blockade is illegal under international law - Israel chooses to ignore the UN as per usual

9. PlacidCasual

Soldato

I'm not sure quoting UN organisations gives any opinion legitimacy.

Israel is apparently conducting a naval blockade of Gaza because they do not want missiles being delivered to Hamas. At present small missiles of limited potential are smuggled in and fired at Israel. Larger missile components would require large transports like boats. Israel is rightly worried about this and is blockading Gaza.

Ships are allowed to take goods to Gaza but not directly, they are required to dock at an Israeli port and be customs inspected for weapons. Then the goods will be passed on.

From Israels point of view its like a mini Cuban missile crisis I guess.

10. Gaidin109

Mobster

UN sources would be somewhat more legitimate than Israeli ones I would have thought. However the issue isn't whether Aid is given to Gaza, but how much and what items are banned.

It is not just weapons that are proscribed, innocuous items such as Fresh Meat, Tea, Chocolate, Wood, Clothing Material, Tarpaulin, Cardomon, Sage, childrens toys, and so on. Food stuffs allowed are basically limited to Flour, Bulger Wheat, Dairy, and frozen items.

The US Cuban embargo is not a total blockade such as the one inflicted on Gaza. The Cuban Embargo is also illegal under international Law, in fact the EU made it illegal to for EU citizens to comply with the US Helms-Burton act in 1996. It is a totally different situation and bares no real relation to the Gaza Blockade.

11. PlacidCasual

Soldato

Having re-read my post I just wanted to clarify lest I've given insult by mistake, it was not dowie's opinion I was questioning but specifically that of the UNHCR. The UN gives legitimacy to despots and thugs and holds little place in my heart.