***The Pond Discussion Thread****

Caporegime
This is my first pond so go easy on me :)

I have posted pics in the main thread but this is really advice on the step by step process facing me next with my pond. TBH Now I have this massive hole in my garden I feel slightly overwhelmed :p

I finished the dig yesterday and will be lining it tomorrow. I'm just a bit unsure on what pump and filter to get. Its 7.8m x 6m measure straight and 9m x 7m when measure with a flexible table down the side and bottom.

Its 1M deep in the middle and from the pictures it has a number of shelves.

I also created a waterfall. I have been looking at the PondXpert EasyFilter 30000 + Pondpush 15000 Pump https://www.pondkeeper.co.uk/pondxpert-easyfilter-30000-pondpush-15000-pump/p1304

Do you think this is suitable? Thanks :)

EDIT: I now have been looking at the Oase Aquamax ECO Premium due to its variable speed and incredible power usage. And the option to add another placement filter somewhere else.

ef4kwYml.jpg

hH7Gj4Wl.jpg

Ty7EZLUl.jpg

EOEAWkTl.jpg

ZLeYzkUl.jpg

jBHJQocl.jpg

LFDNqdQl.jpg

2Bpy6cLl.jpg

nL14AXml.jpg

I was speaking to pondguru on YouTube and he said go big if you can and there is space...so I did
veryhappy.gif

I hopefully want:

Fish- Roach
Plants- yes I'll be having some plants...Lily's...bull rushes...etc...I want to attract wildlife and other recommendations?

I would like cleanish water but not koi carp clear...I want a natural pond.if I can make it look natural with rocks and things I'll be happy.

It's In the Sun part of the day but there is some shading from nearby trees etc. See in the picture the shadow at around 2pm

Cheers

Soldato
If your going for a natural pond why are you using a filter. Get the correct amount of plants in the pond before adding fish get it setup and it will take care of its self.

Caporegime
OP
If your going for a natural pond why are you using a filter. Get the correct amount of plants in the pond before adding fish get it setup and it will take care of its self.

Yeah I think I'm going to scrap the filter for the time being. Buy the Oase Pump. And the waterfall will aerate the water. Fingers crossed.

Associate
if you want to attract wildlife you need to make sure you keep the area 'low traffic'. It's a slow process building a new ecosystem, so don't expect overnight success (ie it could take years).

Caporegime
OP
if you want to attract wildlife you need to make sure you keep the area 'low traffic'. It's a slow process building a new ecosystem, so don't expect overnight success (ie it could take years).

What do you mean by low traffic?

Yeah I understand that getting a decent natural pond is not an overnight thing :)

Soldato
More depth :)

+1
In my last house i had a pond about the same size as in your pics. The center depth though was about 6ft. Fish need a nice safe deep safe hiddy hole in winter. There may well be no fish in it at the moment, but if you intend to have some once the pond is established then give them a nice depth to go to in the winter.

Caporegime
OP
More depth :)

+1
In my last house i had a pond about the same size as in your pics. The center depth though was about 6ft. Fish need a nice safe deep safe hiddy hole in winter. There may well be no fish in it at the moment, but if you intend to have some once the pond is established then give them a nice depth to go to in the winter.

They depth in the middle is around 1.2m I feel this is adequate for 5 roach and a few Rudd. TBH the picture is deceiving, All the people that have seen it say its deeper than they expected.

The pond is huge in my book!

The guy who dug it has dug ponds 500 times as big on farms. Once I decide the shape I pretty much left him to it. I told him I was going naturl and might have a few fish in. As soon as I said Roach he said 1.2m was more than enough. That bottom bit is about 2.5m x 4m bigger than some actual ponds keeping many more fish!

Soldato
I have a 1.2m depth pond. In full sun in summer it needs plants to remove nitrates and blanketweed if the plants don't hover it up fast enough.

Don't forget there will be an organic layer at the bottom which will eat into the depth.

Caporegime
OP
I have a 1.2m depth pond. In full sun in summer it needs plants to remove nitrates and blanketweed if the plants don't hover it up fast enough.

Don't forget there will be an organic layer at the bottom which will eat into the depth.

Before I line it I'll take it down another spade depth :)

Caporegime
OP
Tonight when I got in from work I decided to create more of an edge. I packed the sides with clay so raise the edges as one side was to just to low for my liking even though the first shelf is level using a laser.

asfC7Gsl.jpg

Nrf94eAl.jpg

SLQTQXql.jpg

Caporegime
OP
I've decided to fit a stop valve and drain pipe in the blue reservoir so I can control the level of the pond manually. I was going to put a overflow pipe in the side of the liner but figured I don't need to if I use the stop valve method.

Soldato
Proposed Reservoir flow at top of waterfall mound.

lE3uCEOl.jpg

Can anyone see any issues with this? Advice on improvements etc...?

Cheers:)

How are you going to get the crap that will collect at the bottom out? If left there without oxygen flow through it (the bottom layer) it will be anerobic and take oxygen from the water (plus be stinky rotten eggs).

Soldato
I think you need to rethink the design.

Do you know what plants you will put in? Also how will you tackle a deluge of rain?

The elevated sides are a good idea as it prevents the soil being eroded and then filling the pond, clogging the pump and filling the barrel with soil.

Soldato
Just thinking - better to have a automatic level/overflow. Given the surface area, the pond will collect rain fast, if there's large amount of rain then it will likely do that faster than you think. Just create a drainaway (long tube with rocks in) and put a grill in front of it to stop the tube from getting blocked.

Back
Top Bottom