1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Post-Brexit Thread

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Irish_Tom, 1 Jan 2021.

Tags:
  1. Greebo

Caporegime

Won't be Boris's fault. his Brexit supporters will be blaming Biden and saying it would have never happened with Trump and who needs a Trade deal with the Us, it was worthless anyway (it is, I agree)

2. inogen

Soldato

yeah, we’re better off without a trade deal with the US. At least one that includes food and their healthcare system.

3. Murphy

Soldato

Who knows, but apparently offering the UK a way out is adversarial, threatening, and generally being unhelpful. /s

4. jpaul

Capodecina

You're right that Boris doesn't want to be known as the special relation of the USA anymore, too, because it sounds needy ... and cognitivelyeconomically impaired

5. Murphy

Soldato

Well if the shoe fits. ;)

6. StriderX

Caporegime

So long as the US remains in a deadlock between the two parties, the Irish lobby which stretches across both of them will ensure the US government's frigidness.

7. RxR

Mobster

8. garnett

Sgarrista

The fascinating part for me is how the Brexiteers have been permitted by the press to separate out the NIP from the rest of the Brexit deal, and focus on how that particular part in isolation is unsuitable.

It's like subscribing to Netflix, and happily accepting the "watch loads of TV" part, but then demanding a review of the "paying Netflix their subscription fee" part.

Is this "Expect all the benefits; shirk all the obligations" approach to honouring commitments really how many Brexiteers operate?

In truth, the NIP is just a number of clauses in the Brexit deal most Brexiteers championed a few months ago...

As David Schneider puts it, "the people saying the Northern Ireland protocol is ridiculous are the same people who negotiated it, signed up to it, fought an election built around it and sold it as an "oven-ready" triumph that would get Brexit done."

9. jpaul

Capodecina

interesting - you wonder (like potential usa meat) how any uk resellers of such meat will be obliged to label it ... or brexit also obviates such a responsibility;
    when there were discussions about irradiated food , whether a radiation symbol was planned - I suppose a syringe would work though ?

The news last night didn't ackowledge any NIP/brexit based protests down in Cornwall, just extinction rebellion (they could do with Greta, down there, to tone that back);
    I thought someone could have stuffed a cartoon sausage, or lumps of coal, in Boris's mouth at Mount Recyclemore if they are looking for ideas

10. Murphy

Soldato

It's even more fascinating to remind ourselves of what they said about the NIP to perform a confidence trick on voters, and what they say about it now...
    It's like the blind leading the blind, anyone feeling like they've been taken for a ride yet, anyone still believe we've taken back control?

11. doodah

Capodecina

Seemingly lazy journalism yesterday with the NIP, I think it was BBC. They showed the mobile phone clip of Boris swearing blind there wouldn't be any checks, though not providing distinction to which way he meant. The journalist plays this clip for the MP and he wiggles out saying something along the lines of "he didn't make the distinction of which direction, maybe he meant this way......". If only they had played the Sophie Ridge interview where he categorically says no checks GB>NI and NI>GB.

As for the Telegraph - 6 months it took them from praising the most amazing deal and brinksmanship to, we were forced to sign the deal under duress and we were always going to break protocol.

12. JRS

Capodecina

On the plus side they are at least admitting to the (blindingly obvious) fact that Brexit made us weaker. Better late than not at all.

13. jpaul

Capodecina

nonetheless, it does represent the part that will most likely leave Boris with indelible blood on his hands - Biden knows that too
    Will all great Neptune’s ocean wash this blood Clean from my hand?

14. a1ex2001

Capodecina

It's staggering how for the entire time we were in the EU they said everything bad that happened here was the EU's fault, they then negotiated a deal to leave the EU and apparently everything is still the EU's fault. I find it staggering that people will continue to swallow this but I know from just a casual look around the interweb people still think Boris is our saviour and the EU is like the Evil Empire out to get us all.

15. Tony Edwards

Soldato

Even the USA is evil to rightwingers (mainly those that claim they are centre ground) now that Trumpy has left the building, where as before he was going to be the man that saved us from our own self inflicted death roll.

16. Irish_Tom

Capodecina

17. Tony Edwards

Soldato

Yes fancy an Australian media telling people to not be bothered about all the things we have banned that they still use.

Despite increasing production we banned them. Surely that is the whole point here.

Then again the Tories are trying to bring back banned pesticides and have probably had some very long talks about hormones and lets not foget the amount of Tories (mainly brexiters) that came out in support of all those banned substances.

18. Mr Jack

Capodecina

In your opinion, which concern does it address? I don't see a single concern addressed, I just see this utter babble:

National Farmers Federation President Fiona Simson said the reality was any potential increase in Australian beef and sheep meat exports to the United Kingdom as an outcome of an enhanced trade partnership would be dependent on UK demand.

“The NFF continues to support Trade Minister Tehan and the Australian Government in the collaborative and productive negotiations with their UK counterparts as they strive towards securing a free trade agreement that is to the overall benefit of both parties.”

“The aim of any free trade agreement is to provide both parties options. Australian red meat producers would like to have the option to export to the UK if and when the UK needs it.”​

I mean it's no surprise that Australian farmers are all for this, is it?

19. Greebo

Caporegime

20. McGray

Soldato

It's a shame the farmers weren't warned about this.