The price of petrol

Associate
SB118 said:
Nah, what is really confusing is how diesel used to be 10p/l cheaper than petrol and now costs 5p/l more :confused:

Honda Design Team: “Ok lets make a new super efficient diesel engine so we can sell lots of cars on the grounds it will save the drivers money”
English Taxman: “Well we cant have that now can we. Ok let’s raise diesel prices to balances things out”
English car driver: “My arse is sore”

Associate
basically areas have differing prices because broadly speaking the stations fall into different area groups. Now each group gets different price support (what price the petrol should be given by supplier) depending upon prices of other petrol stations (i guess game theory would be perfect for application here). Certain brands give better prices / are more aggressive. Plus if you have a station that is company owned (ie actually owned by BP/etc instead of being an independant they get better support).. Basically it all works out so that the independant retailers get pennys whilst the big companys make millions :/

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

SB118 said:
Nah, what is really confusing is how diesel used to be 10p/l cheaper than petrol and now costs 5p/l more :confused:
Now that is worrying :(

Permabanned
Norbert666 said:
No, this isn't supposed to be in motors.

Why is it that petrol is a different price in different petrol stations?

I mean, a Mars Bar for example is the same price in Sainsburys, as in Tescos, as in the local corner shop all over the country. Why is petrol different?

I don't get it?

I guess it's pretty basic economics, if we'll pay it, then they'll charge it

Associate
DAVEM said:
I guess it's pretty basic economics, if we'll pay it, then they'll charge it

lol people would prolly say its supply and demand than that but.. ;)

personally i think the price is more to do with overzelous funds buying up futures combined with other factors obv.

Associate
My petrol station is currently selling unleaded at 96.9p/ltr, whereas another local garage is selling it for 92.9p/ltr..... It's amazing that we are still a really busy station (probably the busiest in the area for fuel / grocery sales).

I guess brand loyalty has a big part to play in it, and regular customers etc. Or maybe its the great, friendly, smiling service we give customers that you don't seen in a Tescos filling station.... (Honestly, they get paid enough, you think they would manage a smile, or even a hello!)

Suspended
Sparky__H said:
Honda Design Team: “Ok lets make a new super efficient diesel engine so we can sell lots of cars on the grounds it will save the drivers money”
English Taxman: “Well we cant have that now can we. Ok let’s raise diesel prices to balances things out”
English car driver: “My arse is sore”
Diesel is taxed at a higher rate for envrionemtal reasons, officially. It produces more crap when it burns than petrol does. Even with the lower consumption rates of the cars.

Consigliere
Kind of on topic except with a different product. Working at Tesco, our staff vending machines have the real prices of food. For example Hula Hoops cost us just 17p and chocolate bars are 30p. Shocking really what the public has to pay.

Soldato
SideWinder said:
Kind of on topic except with a different product. Working at Tesco, our staff vending machines have the real prices of food. For example Hula Hoops cost us just 17p and chocolate bars are 30p. Shocking really what the public has to pay.

They'll still be making a profit even at those prices.

I wish I could find a nice cheap petrol station round here, the new car drinks the stuff and the petrol stations won't let me have it for free. :(

They're so mean! :p

Soldato
Dont forget the likes of tesco can sell it cheaper, say for example a local filling station makes 3p per litre tesco can say cut that 2p off and make it up elsewhere in food sales for example. I wont start another oil moaning session but get used to the price of petrol going up real soon. As the summer comes in and the bad weather in the states kicking in, in a few months it gonna stay well over £1.00

Soldato
Mohinder said:
They're pre marked with a price though, aren't they :p

Often stock is sold at different prices, depending on if it's price marked or not. Un-price marked stuff is more expensive to buy, but obviously they can sell it at what they want.

At least, that's how things used to be when I last saw a wholesale catalogue ;)

Back
Top Bottom