• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Radeon VII Owners Thread

Associate
Wow, been reading through this thread slowly, and I actually discovered something called the washer mod, took the card and installed 4 of these that I had laying around in my nuts and bolts tin, they are 0.6mm thick: https://imgur.com/bJkp5iG

shaved another 8oC of the junction temps, I was waiting through the benchmark for it to go above 90oC, it never did, so quickly took a screenshot towards the end: https://imgur.com/ZLyzJCp

WOW, that will do I think: https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/47548119
Looking very good for the stock cooler! You might want to give the HBM is little push. I use 1140MHz, my brother runs 1130MHz. So 1100MHz+ shouldn't be an issue. Should give a couple of extra fps in some games that can make use of the extra bandwidth.

Soldato
Looking very good for the stock cooler! You might want to give the HBM is little push. I use 1140MHz, my brother runs 1130MHz. So 1100MHz+ shouldn't be an issue. Should give a couple of extra fps in some games that can make use of the extra bandwidth.

Thnaks, a quick run of firestrike with HBM at 1100mhz: https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/47777049

Associate
Hi, I've been unlucky with my temps and just decided to run at 1700mhz with a uc but the weather is making it too hot again. I've lapped my cooler and but applied some mx4. Junc is same b(between100-110 depending on the game) but the problem is taking it apart so many times I've rounded the screws completely. Does anyone know what size they are so I can order some more. I tried asking amd and they told me they don't sell them when all I asked was what size they were so they were useless
Thanks

Caporegime
Hi, I've been unlucky with my temps and just decided to run at 1700mhz with a uc but the weather is making it too hot again. I've lapped my cooler and but applied some mx4. Junc is same b(between100-110 depending on the game) but the problem is taking it apart so many times I've rounded the screws completely. Does anyone know what size they are so I can order some more. I tried asking amd and they told me they don't sell them when all I asked was what size they were so they were useless
Thanks

What screws are you referring to? The entire backplate or just the ones on the "x" that clamps the heatsink to the core?

Soldato
Found a Radeon 7 brand new for pretty cheap so thought I'd nab it, Sadly my luck with R7's seems to be pretty bad, This is the 3rd R7 that is faulty, Under a 99% sustained load after a few minutes it resets the system.

I know AMD only really recycled Instinct cards for the R7 but I wish they would've put a little more effort into it, It had such potential.

Associate
Found a Radeon 7 brand new for pretty cheap so thought I'd nab it, Sadly my luck with R7's seems to be pretty bad, This is the 3rd R7 that is faulty, Under a 99% sustained load after a few minutes it resets the system.

I know AMD only really recycled Instinct cards for the R7 but I wish they would've put a little more effort into it, It had such potential.
Morning, I'm trying to think what happened with your previous cards? I'd have a check on software, with May 2020 Windows update there was a re-release of 20.5.1 and there's an updated chipset driver too.

Last edited:
Soldato

Sounds like PEBCAK to me. Why go for 3 different Radeon 7 cards, if you had so many problems? Pretty masochistic behaviour.

Last edited:
Soldato
Welcome back. It's a copper vapour chamber. You'd need the red nail varnish if you're using liquid metal.
Red nail varnish? Sorry don't understand, it's there no block?

Welcome back to the fold! It's made of magic clearly! Just not very good magic!
It was the only way really, missed it and amd cards so much although nice to see what the other side was like.
Still think amd cards have much better image quality though, I noticed immediately graphics just look nicer

Man of Honour
Red nail varnish? Sorry don't understand, it's there no block?

It was the only way really, missed it and amd cards so much although nice to see what the other side was like.
Still think amd cards have much better image quality though, I noticed immediately graphics just look nicer

You aren't allowed to say that around here! Proof or it didn't happen :p

Soldato
Genuinely interested for the reason you moved back?

R7 owner myself so perfectly happy with them.
Hmmm, it was boring, it was nvidia, it wasn't really 4k ready enough, it wasn't worth 600 quid for the 25% improvement over a r7. I missed it.
The quality of the graphics I noticed instantly were just better, after 6 months of nvidia I could tell the second I ran a game everything just looked ummm better, lost fps but better.
Im hoping big navi is awesome, I don't want to go back to nvidia again it felt idk I cant put my finger on it. It was boring

Back
Top Bottom