The Return of the 'King'

Associate
OP
So...

Spike are Premiering The Mist TV show on the 22nd June - two episodes starting at 10pm, with them showing the 90's TV film of It at lunchtime.

If anyone is interested.
I will be watching The Mist definitely, the latest trailers have got me wondering how the route they have taken with it compared to the film adaptation differ. TV needs a good horror show atm.

Associate
Mr Mercedes and Finders Keepers are pretty much similar - in that they're thrillers not horror.

End of Watch though - that's classic King, a supernatural tale of sorts.

I could understand that some readers might find the last book jarring considering the "thriller" vibe from the first two books in the trilogy

Soldato
So...

Spike are Premiering The Mist TV show on the 22nd June - two episodes starting at 10pm, with them showing the 90's TV film of It at lunchtime.

If anyone is interested.

It's not good! A bunch of poorly acted and overly cliched characters somehow manage to survive despite doing the stupidest things possible.

Associate
I love Stephen King - I've spent the last 20 years trying to upgrade all my books to hardbacks, I'm only missing 2 Dark Tower books now (come on, film related reprints...).

What upcoming Stephen King adaptation are you most excited for?
Dark Tower, but the IT trailer was brilliant

Favorite King adaptation?
Storm of the Century (if that counts as it was a screenplay). Cujo and Dead Zone if not. Running Man gets an honourable mention, although it's not much like the book

Least Favorite?

Dark Half for a clear case of TLDR by the screenwriter. The same guy plays the parts of Thad and George (because they're twins) despite the book making it clear that they look/sound different.

Novel or short story you would like to see adapted for the big or small screen?

If they did it as a limited TV series (like 11.22.63), Insomnia. Absolutely 100% my favourite King book.

I know Haven used it as inspiration, but a proper adaption of The Colorado Kid.

Also Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon, N, Blaze, Regulators and literally too many to list short stories.

Man of Honour
I'm still looking forward to Dark Tower, but I am somewhat worried by the Angry Joe review of it where they say that its pretty bad. I do find that usually my likes and dislikes match his so thats a concern.

Associate
Not holding my breath on The Dark Tower - I've read such a number of reports from King fans who have seen the film and they range from "it's great" to "it's ok" to "it's pretty bad".

I think this will come down to personal taste.

I've a feeling IT is will be better, one of my favourite novels, and Mr Mercedes is getting a much better reception (on the whole) from fans.

I've seen screen stills from Gerald's Game - and I'm hoping it's as uncomfortable to watch as it was to read!

PayDay Lover
Associate
I'm still looking forward to Dark Tower, but I am somewhat worried by the Angry Joe review of it where they say that its pretty bad. I do find that usually my likes and dislikes match his so thats a concern.

Is the concern that he rated it bad, or that you have similar tastes to Joe? :D

I haven't seen anything positive about the Dark Tower film, I thought it had been universally hated.
Personally I feel tv shows are a much better way to go for any decent books, the downside tends to be finding someone willing to not scrimp on the budget

Associate
OP
I'm kind of gutted that The Dark Tower has had a really bad reception, I will still watch it as a fanof the novels though.#

Booked Odeon Gallery seats with the missus for IT on release day, can't wait, trailer is brilliant and it looks to be the best horror film of the year. Looks like its had the reboot it deserves. Hoping they reboot a few others, rumours of Pet Semetary being rebooted sounds promising.

Need to catch up on Mr.Mercedes, I have heard really good things about it, some even calling it one of the best adaptations in years.

Associate
And whilst IT is receiving (what seems like) a mostly positive reaction, AND I'm still waiting for a UK service (Netflix or Amazon) to bring Mr Mercedes here; we get Gerald's Game on Netflix on 29th September.

Trailer just dropped, and it looks pretty good.

Soldato
The Dark Tower adapted to a 2-3 hour film is ridiculous. It'd be like sticking the whole of the Game of Thrones books into the same time slot. Daft.

I'd like to see the 2nd shining book in film I thought it was very good. I do think his shorter stories tend to adapt better to film though.

And there are rumours that the 3rd Talisman book is being written.

Associate
The Dark Tower adapted to a 2-3 hour film is ridiculous. It'd be like sticking the whole of the Game of Thrones books into the same time slot. Daft.

I'd like to see the 2nd shining book in film I thought it was very good. I do think his shorter stories tend to adapt better to film though.

And there are rumours that the 3rd Talisman book is being written.

Doctor Sleep is in development - I would think there's a pretty good chance this will make it through to film. I enjoyed the book too.

That Talisman Book 3 "rumour" has been circulating for years now. The good news is that Straub was asked in an interview back in 2014 that any Talisman sequel would be "a few years away" - and it was him holding it all up. I think if IT does well I'd love to see Andres Muschietti try this.

Soldato
i'm just rewatching the 1996 mini of The Stand, was pretty good for the time. The mini of The Shining was good too, as was the Rob Lowe version of 'Salem's Lot.
being as how Christine's my fave book of his, i'd also like to see a mini of Trucks. Maximum Overdrive was...not very good. i saw antoher version way back inthe late 90s, recall it was better than MO but that's about all i can.

Associate
Interestingly I read last week that Stevie King has taken back, or is currently taking back, rights to a lot of his older works (Cujo, Firestarter etc) which means he gets a say in movie adaptations (or "re imagining" of previous movie attempts). I also read that there are new versions of Cujo and Firestarter (plus one or two more) are in pre-production (started before King got control back).

Digitalspy also have a current article ranking (in their opinion) the best 10 King movie adaptations http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/it-movie/feature/a837457/stephen-king-movies-adaptations-ranked/

The new IT movie goes in at 5.

The top 3 could easily be joint #1 :D

Back
Top Bottom