The Ricky Gervais Show : your opinions?

Associate
Haha trentlad, I can always rely on you to keep this thread alive with your spontaneous posts, even after months of dormancy!

I'm currently going back through the new Monkey News complications that are up on Pilkipedia. I wonder if I'll ever get tired on them.

Soldato
I know I said I hate this earlier in the thread, but that was when I thought this was all new stuff. I didnt realise they were using bits from the pod casts etc. Seemed like they were just re doing all their old material again for these animations, which seemed far too scripted.

Looking forward to their 4th season which will use all new material :).

Soldato
Haha trentlad, I can always rely on you to keep this thread alive with your spontaneous posts, even after months of dormancy!

I'm currently going back through the new Monkey News complications that are up on Pilkipedia. I wonder if I'll ever get tired on them.

Hehe thanks!

That's the best part about their radio shows, there's so much funny stuff going on that you can literally get to the end then immediately start from the very first episode and get just as much enjoyment from it.

How do I keep forgetting about Pilkidedia?? Thanks for the link mate.

Soldato
Hehe thanks!

That's the best part about their radio shows, there's so much funny stuff going on that you can literally get to the end then immediately start from the very first episode and get just as much enjoyment from it.

How do I keep forgetting about Pilkidedia?? Thanks for the link mate.

This is true :). I listened to them all a while back and then recently went through them again and it was just like listening for the firs time. Amazing how much stuff I must have missed the firs time.

Associate
Yeah the Monkey News and the really, really bad Rockbusters clues are probably my favorite bits of the entire show. Which when I think about it is just when Rickey gets proper mad.

The guys at Pilkipedia do a great job, especially with these new compilations. The have done all the hard work going through the series' and bringing it all together. Crazy how much you miss, and Iv lost count how many times Iv listened to them all.

Soldato
Really really bad rockbusters :)

I couldn't stand Rockbusters at first but it slowly became one of my favourite parts. The clues were barely enough to even have a chance at getting the answer right. No wonder Gervais is blown away when people got it right.

For example, the clue here is "they're having problems, they don't have any rice left"... I mean... wh... hahahaaaaa!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBQNCWn9SD8&t=0m38s

Last edited:
Soldato
Nice one fozzy. Thanks for the heads up.

So I was under the impression that HBO had a bunch of podcasts and animated their favourite scenes. Do they sit down and re-record each one again?

I only assumed that with no idea of any effort. But I've heard Ricky actually say that they've 'he's been working on the next season', which implies some effort on his part. I wonder if that's just his input on which scenes to select. I just found this promo to season 2 and their sitting there live talking about it.

Permabanned
Spider with Tippex was apparently series 5 of the podcasts (last episode):

Ricky talks about a spider-infested village in Indonesia; Karl discusses his mother’s pet spider with "Tipp-Ex on its back". Steve discusses living under the Nazi regime. Karl is asked to consider whether he would harbor Anne Frank. Finally, Karl muses on learning new vocabulary on a desert island.

Here are all the mentions of Karl's brother:

Mentions on the show

16 February 2002 - Karl tells that his brother had girls all over the house as a child, so he had to utilize Feng Shui and sleep on the couch.
02 March 2002 - Karl tells that his brother would apply for jobs without any skills. He applied to be a mechanic without even picking up a spanner. Karl also compares his brother to Rasputin.
09 March 2002 - Karl lets out that his brother got out of the Falklands War because of a note from his mother. Karl also tells that he got kicked out for going for a pack of fags in a tank (and sleeping with the sergeant's wife). Karl hasn't seen his brother in 11-12 years.
21 December 2002 - Karl recalls the Christmas that his brother broke his brand new train set.
05 July 2003 - Mark moved away from Manchester, but they don't know where he is now.
Fame Souvenir Program Podcast - "Family Reunion" for the boiler

Soldato
Think I'm the opposite of most, I don't find Karl funny at all really, I like how Ricky makes fun of him but that's about it. Towards the end of the series, Karl featured too much, I prefer more of Ricky & Steve!

Back
Top Bottom