The Ricky Gervais Show : your opinions?

Associate
I have a friend that comes out with many crazy ideas that would make Karl seem normal. She's a business Manager working her way to the top within Car sales, yet you ask her "What's heavier - A ton of bricks or a ton of Feathers?" and every time she will say the bricks, convince herself she is right, ignore the logic of what I am telling her. There's endless amounts of examples of times where I literally think "Are you being serious?"

Therefore to see Karl as a successful producer and yet still comes out with some of the crazy ideas he has doesn't surprise me in the least.

To me it just seems like a legitimate friendship between the 3 of them, all of whom enjoy each others company and therefore the ribbing Karl receives is like water off a ducks back.

Soldato
You really should wake up to the genius that Karl Pilkingtn is and not the crap that Gervais as you believe.
Some of the stuff Karl comes out with has been worked out before they hit record.
The bloke has written books so he knows what he's doing.
He was also their PRODUCER and anybody who studies production will tell you how hard it is to reach those heights.
Karl is not dim and you've all been had.

The first time I heard about Pilkington I checked him out and his background does not equal the character the three of them have made.
I've also read Merchants and Gervais explanation of the Karl character and choose not to believe most of it.

I can only imagine you're a compulsive liar. If you'd checked out his background, you would have checked out his family history, education and the environment he was brought up in.so it's definitely possible for him to be that dim.

Katie Price wrote a book, so I don't think that can be used as a sign of great intelligence.

Soldato
OP
I'm still finding it hard to believe that some clever people on here can't see that Karl Pilkington is a character.

so what youre saying hes 100% character, as if he was an actor in eastenders or something?

i find that hard to believe...

whislt i believe hes not stupid, he does have some wierd imagination and a good proportion of what you see/hear from karl is actually very real indeed, but of course the scripted stuff does seem to taint this perception

Caporegime
I'm still finding it hard to believe that some clever people on here can't see that Karl Pilkington is a character.

I don't think he's a character, but he certainly plays on the concept of being a bit dim for comedic effect. I believe he's a fair bit smarter than he lets on.

Soldato

Actually Ricky & Stephen have both said he is definitely not a character they have made up, and that Karl is just using a type of comical effect called "Deadpan" in which the comedian delivers humour without a change in emotion or body language.

Last edited:
Soldato
I love pretty much everything Gervias. A lot of people seem to get confused by his act, thinking that he's an annoying prat who doesn't know anything about decency. You have to read under the lines to get his comedy, it's not obvious and handed to you on a plate.

We saw him live in New York a few months back, hilarious. His stand up isn't the strongest if you're into stand up, the first was his best but seeing him live was easily the funniest I've seen him.

IMHO his Xfm show is has to be the best stuff he's ever done. There's no way in a million years it's scripted, trust me, I've listened to the entire 92 episodes about 20 times over. When I've finished, I literally go straight back to the start and listen to them over again. You catch different things every time you listen and Rockbusters just gets funnier, it's truly timeless comedy. I just love how they've put jack-all effort into it (remember I'm talking about the Xfm show not the Podcasts) and they just deliver absolute comedy effortlessly. This to me is the very core of why Gervais is a comedy genius, effortless comedy without genuine arrogance.

The podcasts are where they started to appear scripted, but that's just because everyone knows the popular stories so Gervais and Merchant just prod Karl so they can go over it again. I guess that's why the main 'Ricky Gervais Show' podcasts aren't my favourite, it's only worth it for the sparse new material but that's coming from a massive fan like me. The 'Ricky Gervais Guide To...' podcasts are completely new though, so I love those.

That leads me to the cartoon from HBO. It's a bit unfortunate really, as much as I love Gervais, I just couldn't get into the cartoons. It's a good laugh if you're drunk or trying to kill time, but it's again another repetition of their Podcasts (which are repetitions of their Xfm show) that avid fans like me have heard too many times. His cartoon character also laughs really weird, it just doesn't look like the way Gervais would laugh.

Last edited:
Soldato
Where can I buy this on Audiobook? Had a nosey on iTunes last night but could only find the sample chapter.

I tell you what mate, I bet you NO ONE in this forum can find it.
Yeah that's a challenge.

I've tried hunting it down but to no avail. The audiobook is called 'Karlology' and the sample given in first the youtube video above is the only thing I can find (even on iTunes it's just the same audio sample).

Last edited:
Caporegime
I tell you what mate, I bet you NO ONE in this forum can find it.
Yeah that's a challenge.

I've tried hunting it down but to no avail. The audiobook is called 'Karlology' and the sample given in first the youtube video above is the only thing I can find (even on iTunes it's just the same audio sample).

Ironically, I can find it for download illegally. Wonder if the excuse "Well, I couldn't buy it anywhere" would stand up in court...

Back
Top Bottom