The Ricky Gervais Show : your opinions?

Soldato
after listening to a fair chunk of them again last night, I kinda see where you're coming from and at a few points did doubt myself. Either way I really don't care

I also see what dmpool is getting at. I've always been a little confused by Karl's reactions to Gervais' heckling during monkey news. Sometimes he does defend the story but there's been times where he's just ignored the heckles and carried on. IMO he knows they are bull but he's defending the plausibility of components, not like he truly believes there's a monkey who was a builder.

(the Ricky Gervais Show cartoon failed at recreating this story, here's the best version)

I think people find it hard to distinguish between a scripted conversation and something Karl has discussed with Ricky/Merchant off air which they prompt to bring up on air.

Here's a thought, isn't it strange that Ricky's shows all have a dumb person as a major focus of the entire show? I can't help but think that was inspired by Karl Pilkington (which could also be used as a pillar of defense for dmpool's argument too).

Radio = Das Pilka
Office = Gareth Keenan
Extras = Maggie Jacobs

Last edited:
Caporegime
I don't like it. I've only seen one episode and that was enough, Ricky Gervais ruins it with his annoying, over the top laugh at even the slightest bit of amusing dialogue. Also, I agree with dmpoole, having heard nothing of this shows history or any of the backstory I just picked an episode up when it was on Channel 4 last Friday. I assumed Karl was a made up character simply by some of the complete dumbass things he says. I've known some very, very dull people but none that are on Karl's level, some of the things no 'real' person would believe.

I think the point that was made regarding Ricky making believable characters is a fair one to be honest, although at the end of the day for fans of the show it shouldn't really matter if Karl's dialogue is completed scripted or somebody's genuine thoughts. As long as fans of the show find it funny then it shouldn't matter what the lines are based on.

Associate
Killswitch, have you listened to the Podcasts? It's just I think that your comment about Ricky's laugh is a little unfortunate, because in the Podcasts you can see the gradual build up of his Laughter throughout the show. Whereas in the TV show, it's just instantly over the top as you say, which doesn't truly reflect reality.

My personal opinion of Ricky's laugh is that it makes me laugh even more when the context is right, and this can only be felt when listening to the full podcast shows.

Therefore I feel your interpretation of his laughter would be different when listening to the Podcasts. If however you've listened to the podcasts prior to watching the show..well then my post can be ignored lol.

Caporegime
Killswitch, have you listened to the Podcasts? It's just I think that your comment about Ricky's laugh is a little unfortunate, because in the Podcasts you can see the gradual build up of his Laughter throughout the show. Whereas in the TV show, it's just instantly over the top as you say, which doesn't truly reflect reality.

My personal opinion of Ricky's laugh is that it makes me laugh even more when the context is right, and this can only be felt when listening to the full podcast shows.

Therefore I feel your interpretation of his laughter would be different when listening to the Podcasts. If however you've listened to the podcasts prior to watching the show..well then my post can be ignored lol.

No I've not listened to the podcasts but if you say it might make me think differently about the show then I might give them a listen. Is it just entitled The Ricky Gervais Show? :)

Associate
No I've not listened to the podcasts but if you say it might make me think differently about the show then I might give them a listen. Is it just entitled The Ricky Gervais Show? :)

Thats the podcasts there, but if your really hardcore go back and listen to the ORIGINAL XFM shows. Free to download...

Clicky again

Sorry, but I have no time at all for anyone who bases their opinions about Gervais or his work solely on this new animated series. Its merely snippets, the persevered 'funny' bits of hours and hours of material which in most cases is several years old. And As Macca says, its a build up of laughter throughout an entire show, so its not so much the final 'Joke' as like most comedy...but everything that has come previously.

Soldato

Couldn't agree with you more mate.

The only time it's annoying is when your forced to krank up the sound on your headphones (because Karl must stand about a mile away from the mike sometimes) and then Gervais burst out laughing and you have to emergency eject your earphones.

Associate
Is there anywhere I can stream them at all, I've heard some of the earlier stuff before but not much and loved it. Would much rather stream it than wait to download loads.

Soldato
I heard the original Xfm shows when they were aired over digital radio. When I missed them I used to be able to go to the Xfm website and stream the show in small 6 minute clips.

In fact, I think the Xfm radio shows found nowadays are these very clips just glued together to form each show.

Let me check and I'll post a link to the Xfm site if I find it.

Soldato
Ah jeez they've completely revamped the website, the closest I could find was this worthless page where they let you listen to one minute.

You're best off using Pilkipedia to be honest, it's the same site that good old Digitalle has been linking. Here are all the Xfm shows listed

Oh mate, you're gonna love The Ricky Gervais Film Review.. Review... Review...

Last edited:
Soldato
Exactly mate, he's unheard of in those early stages.

I like Ricky's film review of Jungle Book the best, cos he "wasn't really paying attention".

Caporegime
Soldato
You know what... I just found a completely unheard XFM season!!

I thought I had all seasons including 'The Early Years' which I just assumed was Season 0 but I guess they aren't. If you go here you can get each episode of season zero but last night I figured I'd get the entire archive of all XFM shows from the same site (here) since it's all tagged and iTunes/iPod ready and was happily surprised with the new content in the season zero folder.

Back
Top Bottom