• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RTX 2080 pre-order thread

Soldato
Oh good another thread for people to whinge in, get butt hurt, and buy consoles instead.

I have preordered with the intension of not being disappointed on release if they turn out to be good. If less than 20% improvement over my Xp then I'll probably cancel. If they turn out to be 40% faster I'm betting they'll be more orders perhaps less stock and the price will defiantly go up, on some cards it has already, it'll be the 8700k all over again, that got flamed on release, a few weeks later the same people were clambering for them. We'll see, I'm hoping we see benchmarks well before the 13th though.

Why not just wait for them to be released and benchmarks available? Madness!

Associate
I don't think it's worth it from 1080ti although maybe if you can sell yours for a decent amount at least you stay up to date.

I'm on 1080 and couldn't bring myself to upgrade to 1080ti for a 25-30% improvement, especially as 1080 was doing a great job at 3440x1440 anyway. This should give me quite a large improvement and I really like the sound of the raytracing tech.

It might only best 1080ti by 25-30% but that makes it significantly quicker than 1080.

Yeah, fair enough then. You didn't go for a gsync monitor? I'm on the same resolution as you but went with gsync, it was expensive but monitors usually last through several upgrade cycles.

Associate
Ordered to 2080ti from the NV website. Been on a Titan X Maxwell for over 3 years now so due an upgrade, so might as well get the best.

Good to see the same old faces still having the same tired old arguments. Stay salty guys.

Out of interest, how long have you had your car? Do you become desperate to upgrade that after 3 years too :p

Whatever lies you have to tell yourself in order to justify this, umm, interesting purchasing decision :D

Last edited:
Associate
Yeah, fair enough then. You didn't go for a gsync monitor? I'm on the same resolution as you but went with gsync, it was expensive but monitors usually last through several upgrade cycles.

No the monitor is a few years old now, its a dell 3415w and at the time cost £650 odd the gsync ones came a bit later. I think eventually I'll move my 55" OLED upstairs to the PC room instead of buying another monitor as that is another area where prices are getting stupid. I'd like to put a 65" downstairs or maybe 75" and then use the one upstairs for games and 3d films.

I'm getting a bit old for twitchy shooters on high refresh rates tbh so one of those gsync displays are probably a waste on me anyway.

Associate
So, who else has ignored the hype and pre-ordered a 2080 or 2080 Ti?

Me? I've gone for the Gigabyte 2080 Ti.

It's still only 11GB of ram like 1080 TI maybe 8% faster that's it not worth the upgrade so I don't understand what all the fuss is about!;)

Last edited:
Associate
So I don't miss out on stock and have to pay another £200 more when they turn out to perform well????

Yeah but what happens if it turns out to be another leaf blower 5800U? I was around then and had to defend them against the ATI hordes for a long time until they got their mojo back first with 6xxx series and then went ahead with 8xxxx, the 8800 being a killer card of courser.

Nvidia took some big gambles with that that did not pay off. this is a gamble on Ray Tracing.

If you have that amount of money another 200 is neither here or there

You just like the glamour of the shiny new thing, go on admit it :p

Back
Top Bottom