• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RX Vega 64 Owners Thread

Soldato
I need some help guys, I hate Wattman. When I set balanced my GPU gets to 80c (well thats what MSI Afterburner says but im not even sure MSIAB is working as it doesnt show voltage nor does fan speed budge from 13%)

With no overlay onscreen, im scared to run this thing unless I can see what my temps and fan is doing.

Last edited:
Soldato
Sadly I got no Haribo even though I spent over £1000 =(
Ouch. I remember when spent £1000 on single transaction at OCUK but a BIG bag of haribo. (295X2, 1000W platinium PSU and some extra fans).

In the same boat with my screen, has random glitches and black outs, on my second replacement now and Benq still claim its something else besides the monitor. I've seen people on other forums say the shielding inside it is crap and that's a cause of it but Benq won't have it. My original screen was pixel perfect, the replacements have both had dead pixels. So they're on my **** list for future ********* to avoid.

I perfectly understand. First one failed December 2015 (April 2015 got it), got a refub replacement which lasted until August 2016, then another refub which lasted until December 2016 and now this which was new monitor replacement.

So atm contemplating between LG 34UC89G-B or wait the PG35VQ. And in the mean time use the 29" LG monitor I have on the top bedroom.

Soldato
I need some help guys, I hate Wattman. When I set balanced my GPU gets to 80c (well thats what MSI Afterburner says but im not even sure MSIAB is working as it doesnt show voltage nor does fan speed budge from 13%)

With no overlay onscreen, im scared to run this thing unless I can see what my temps and fan is doing.

Afterburner does not work with RX Vega yet, best to leave it off.

You have to use Wattman.

Just use it and see what happens. Nice setup BTW. Very nice case, what one is it?

Associate
Trying to figure out the score with the core clocks; so on GPU-Z and Furmark it lists the card as having a core clock of 1750Mhz although I can't get it to go any higher than 1668Mhz when pushing the card. The card is listed as having a boost clock of 1677 on the product page on OCUK so can anyone explain these varying figures? I have the profile set to 'turbo' in the Radeon settings so wouldn't it boost up to either of 1677 or 1750 when using the likes of Furmark?

Maybe this will help ?

Soldato

V F

V F

Soldato
so that's it, time to start playing..What a joyful afternoon taking apart the loop, cleaning the PC then putting in the RX 64. Case looks so bare now, I kinda like the look of the card though, pretty cool. Roll on EK getting these goodies shipped to me, this thing going to be painful on air while I wait.

Question also. How do I control the power mode, between Power Saving, Balanced and Turbo? Do I need to run Wattman?

Before and afters.

22564254222_4a0f0f415c_c.jpg
36545685116_666dbdec9d_c.jpg
36195380520_310c026f99_c.jpg

It needs a Ruby loop. ;)

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Trying to figure out the score with the core clocks; so on GPU-Z and Furmark it lists the card as having a core clock of 1750Mhz although I can't get it to go any higher than 1668Mhz when pushing the card. The card is listed as having a boost clock of 1677 on the product page on OCUK so can anyone explain these varying figures? I have the profile set to 'turbo' in the Radeon settings so wouldn't it boost up to either of 1677 or 1750 when using the likes of Furmark?

Select "turbo" mode - rather than default "balanced" - there are others like "custom" and "power save" too.

Soldato
Ah thanks. I need to speak to someone e about using Wattman, absolutely clueless. Put it to balanced mode but can't control anything

I was trying to find his quote, but failed :(

And sorry man, can't help you with Wattman, I am using a 1070 at the moment and have never used it.

Soldato

Maybe this will help ?
Thanks for that - it's certainly helpful although I have to admit I'm a bit reluctant to move the power slider over to +50% given the power draw of the AOI 64 and I'm on an 850 PSU! I did increase the frequency by 2.5% which the core clock up to 1712Mhz in Furmark though. Might try moving the power slider over half way and see what happens...

Edit: Ok so just noticed if you select the 'turbo' profile it automatically moves the power slider across to 25%.

Is there something I can download that will allow me to measure the power my whole system is drawing?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I had some issues - the same as I had with FuryX installing the drivers - goes to a blank screen (though this is a different mobo/cpu but same monitor on dp1.2 or hdmi) and never comes back though PC is still alive in there but the monitor powers down after a while.

On reboot can see the 2 drivers - video and audio got installed, so installed the other two individually and all is in there now. Ran DDU before power down so it should have been quite clean except anything windows installed on reboot.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Yeah I had turbo selected but it's only boosting up to 1668Mhz.

I'm mainly seeing 1750 (I'm on the AIO) in wattman when benching/gaming (not done much yet) apart from the odd dip - usually in cut-scenes between tests. CPU got upto 57c and rad was just about too hot to touch

It will throttle back if it gets too hot - what are your temps/fan-speeds in wattman ?

Last edited:
Soldato
As wattman is utter crap, I've not massively tweaked the card yet - just some basic stability and slight performance tweaks. Set Power Limit to +50%, Core clocks to +10%, Core voltage to 1075mV, Whatever-Fan-Profile-You-Need-To-Keep-Cool. These basic tweaks got my Timespy score up by over 4000 and keep the clocks stable instead of throttling constantly. Once Afterburner updates to support Vega, I'll go deeper - but I really can't be bothered with Wattman.

Associate
so that's it, time to start playing..What a joyful afternoon taking apart the loop, cleaning the PC then putting in the RX 64. Case looks so bare now, I kinda like the look of the card though, pretty cool. Roll on EK getting these goodies shipped to me, this thing going to be painful on air while I wait.

Question also. How do I control the power mode, between Power Saving, Balanced and Turbo? Do I need to run Wattman?

Before and afters.

22564254222_4a0f0f415c_c.jpg
36545685116_666dbdec9d_c.jpg
36195380520_310c026f99_c.jpg
what gpu did you remove? sli or crossfire? are you getting more performance and will you get a 2nd card?

Associate
isnt the 1080ti faster and more fps than the new vega cards?

also apparently you cannot crossfire these cards

i would only consider vega as you can get nice freesync hdr monitors for cheap!

Soldato
I'm mainly seeing 1750 (I'm on the AIO) in wattman when benching/gaming (not done much yet) apart from the odd dip - usually in cut-scenes between tests. CPU got upto 57c and rad was just about too hot to touch

It will throttle back if it gets too hot - what are your temps/fan-speeds in wattman ?
Peak temp is 64 on the card and 2048 fan speed - I'm on the AOI also. I keep fluctuating from between 1560 and 1668 on Wattman although in GPU-Z I have the refresh set to 0.3 seconds and I've seen the occasional very brief flash of 1750. I guess that does suggest some throttling behaviour but 64 degrees is surely ok is it not?

Edit: Getting worse now - now it's fluctuating from 1408 to 1560 on the turbo profile...

False alarm I think - I tried running the Rise of The Tomb Raider Benchmark it's showing 1750Mhz throughout so perhaps it was just that the Furmark benchmark wasn't enough to push the card to it's limit. Right, enough messing around - time to play a few games...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom