• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RX Vega 64 Owners Thread

Associate
:D

So, been playing around this morning looking at what the default Wattman profiles actually give us with standard Vega 64. That would be Power Saver, Balanced and Turbo. Just to see the difference in the clocks, temps and the amount of watts going to the wall socket. Got a small breakdown here if anyone interested. I don't understand why AMD recommend a 1000w PSU, absolutely bonkers if you ask me.

There's going to be a bit of randomness in the numbers, not sure all the sensors are reporting exacts at the moment, but I believe GPUz is to be trusted the most.

Power Saver (-25% power limit)
GPUz Core - 1200mhz (rough average)
Temp - 68c
Fan Speed - 2000rpm

36436882612_1a1f40b991_n.jpg

Balanced (0% power limit)
GPUz Core - 1536mhz (rough average)
Temp - 78c
Fan Speed - 2400rpm

36467628861_3225049a94_n.jpg

Turbo (+50% power limit)
GPUz Core - 1630mhz (rough average, did start to throttle at 85c)
Temp - 85c
Fan Speed - 2430rpm

36436881242_7a68053f67_n.jpg

Thx for this :)

Associate
Nope - like I said before just the card/rad/fan (all pre connected/assembled - though probably need to remove/reverse the fan for my case), a little bag of very-small case screws and two small white paper "manuals" - but at least there was no hack-n-slash going on with the foam.

Yeah those very small screws are useless in a Corsair 550D case with the large fan mounting holes with rubber anti-vibration grommets. Sapphire should have supplied alternatives.

Soldato
I'm having some real problems with my Vega right now - System keeps rebooting when in games (Especially battlefield 1) and after a longer period of time when stressing it with synthetic benchmarks like fur mark and uniengine. It isn't as bad when in power save mode, but still does it at some point.

I suspect it is my power supply crapping out, which I find odd because it's a good quality one - EVGA 550watt Gold Modular. It's rated for 540w on the 12v rails so I don't see why it feels out of spec. I have a power meter running and in balanced mode with CPU loaded and GPU loaded to the max, I see no more than around 400w being pulled. Maximum I have seen in turbo mode was about 460w total system load. In power save total loading in game goes down to less than 350w.

It seems odd, it's not hot to the touch either...

Anyway, I will confirm this theory soon as I have an Cosair rm650x on the way. If it does fix the problem I think EVGA will be getting a message from me!

That's odd, 550W should be plenty fine. I hope it is just a faulty psu and not and not a faulty card. Just out of interest have you tried the second bios, just to see is it a bios problem?

Soldato
:D

So, been playing around this morning looking at what the default Wattman profiles actually give us with standard Vega 64. That would be Power Saver, Balanced and Turbo. Just to see the difference in the clocks, temps and the amount of watts going to the wall socket. Got a small breakdown here if anyone interested. I don't understand why AMD recommend a 1000w PSU, absolutely bonkers if you ask me.

There's going to be a bit of randomness in the numbers, not sure all the sensors are reporting exacts at the moment, but I believe GPUz is to be trusted the most.

Power Saver (-25% power limit)
GPUz Core - 1200mhz (rough average)
Temp - 68c
Fan Speed - 2000rpm

36436882612_1a1f40b991_n.jpg

Balanced (0% power limit)
GPUz Core - 1536mhz (rough average)
Temp - 78c
Fan Speed - 2400rpm

36467628861_3225049a94_n.jpg

Turbo (+50% power limit)
GPUz Core - 1630mhz (rough average, did start to throttle at 85c)
Temp - 85c
Fan Speed - 2430rpm

36436881242_7a68053f67_n.jpg

I fully agree, been trying to tell people that for ages. The power requirements were blown out of all proportion.

How are the noise levels? I had a 290 on a stock blower and I thought that was ok. It could be loud but it was pretty easy to get a good fan curve going.

And, how are you finding the card to use generally?

Soldato
I fully agree, been trying to tell people that for ages. The power requirements were blown out of all proportion.

How are the noise levels? I had a 290 on a stock blower and I thought that was ok. It could be loud but it was pretty easy to get a good fan curve going.

i got some flak for saying pretty much the same that vega would not burn down your house.. Some people didn't like that i found it silly that vega 64 would need a 1000watt PSU. i dont see the 2-3x the power draw of a 1080..

Soldato

to much noise for my liking but that was to be expected. At 2500rpm it's fairly noisy, and that's where you'd need to keep the rpm if you want to clock it up around 1600mhz to keep it around 80c. The stock blower is rubbish but I knew that was going to be the case. Didn't buy this card for the blower, was always my intention to put a full cover on it once EK ship my order.

Soldato
i got some flak for saying pretty much the same that vega would not burn down your house.. Some people didn't like that i found it silly that vega 64 would need a 1000watt PSU. i dont see the 2-3x the power draw of a 1080..

It's the GPU forums, it's always worst case scenario, over the top and extreme life ending reactions from both sides.

Soldato
card is good and it has given me a nice boost from an AMD 390. Plus, can finally rid of that wasted 390 crossfire lmao.

Just hit 7600 in Timespy, and only drawing 420w of power from the wall to do so. It's not all doom and gloom, I'm pleased with it so far.

Associate
That's odd, 550W should be plenty fine. I hope it is just a faulty psu and not and not a faulty card. Just out of interest have you tried the second bios, just to see is it a bios problem?

I've not noticed that the bios switch actually does anything! it restarts in both modes anyway.

I do hope it is the PSU, The weird thing is that it could be good at 450w draw when in turbo for a good while, then will just die out and restart. It seems to do it more often once warmed up so maybe a faulty component inside that is getting too warm...

I have completely open case with lots of air so it's not as though components should be getting too hot... Anyway, waiting for the damn rainforest man to turn up as was only option to get something when I ordered at 12 last night!

Associate
was trying to replicate his results, i'm fairly certain it wasn't changing voltages as I couldn't get it to throttle the clockspeed whatever voltage; don't have a current meter so also couldn't tell immediately either.

seems like his press driver was better for wattman and/or its broken with vega 64!

Depending on what video you were watching, IIRC the original one he used WattTool because WattMan wasn't working properly, and last nights live stream I believe he gave up on WattTool because it wasn't doing much and switched to WattMan which to his surprise was actually working. Basically drivers are screwy.

I'm interested to see undervolted stock performance personally.

Soldato
I've not noticed that the bios switch actually does anything! it restarts in both modes anyway.

I do hope it is the PSU, The weird thing is that it could be good at 450w draw when in turbo for a good while, then will just die out and restart. It seems to do it more often once warmed up so maybe a faulty component inside that is getting too warm...

I have completely open case with lots of air so it's not as though components should be getting too hot... Anyway, waiting for the damn rainforest man to turn up as was only option to get something when I ordered at 12 last night!

Hope it works for you :)

The bios switch reduces power use even more. So if it's restarting in both modes, its definitely not overloading your PSU. Could be something wrong with one of the cables going into the card.

Have you tried the card in another PCIe slot? Might be worth doing if you are having problems after installing the new PSU.

Back
Top Bottom