• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RX Vega 64 Owners Thread

Permabanned
I think you'll be fine with the 850w PSU. I've had no issues at all with my XFX XTR 850 Gold PSU and I've got 1x HDD, 2x SSD, 1X PCIe NVME SSD, a Wifi PCIe card and a PCIe Sata adapter card for the extra drive. Also running a Corsair H100i GT Liquid cooler for the CPU so quite a few extras using power and I've got my AOI card overclocked to 1907/1075 and using +40% power. Can't see why any other quality 850 PSU wouldn't be up to the job...

It's too early to regret that PSU, it seems decent enough. It's not unusual for early production runs of any product to have a few that are marginal, and you'd better off in the long run getting a better sample than sticking with one that was likely flaky.

It does sound like mine was a lemon. At least now I can see if the aftermarket models are worth the wait.

One oddity I noticed was a tonne of coil whine from the Vega AIO when I moved to the HX PSU. It did it all the time even on the desktop, it even changed pitch moving from the desktop to Google or Youtube. It's strange because there was no whine with the TX850 and now I've got the 1060 back in with the HX there's no coil whine again.

Last edited:
Soldato
For those interested in "reported" power consumption this might be usefull

Me - to match my blue theme of course! Shame about the big red Radeon!

Anyway some more thoughts after playing for 2 hours. System is:

4790K @ 4.4 Stock volts
16gb 1866 DDR3
MSI Z97
VEGA64 air - was an RX480 8GB
2560x1080

Benchmarks - much higher numbers - about a 50% improvement e.g. Heaven score 1450 odd to 2200. Firestrike etc the same.
Games - PUBG was running around 50-70 fps, same settings now 90-140 fps - 85C. BF1 MP stuck at the max 60 online, but never dips and AB shows VEGA running at about 70% usage, sitting about 70C.

From Corsair Link - having been running the above max power in 520W max out 495W. GPU temp max 85C min 35C, GPU Fan max 2440 min 623 (even though a blower, very impressed with the lack of noise).

It's definately the boost my freesync setup needed, if a little expensive (I bought the £579 Powercolour). My gsync setups were there about 2 years ago though. Still overall, I'm happy!

PS: not fiddled with anything yet, all stock.

Caporegime
Anyone else have The Division and Freesync monitor that can test if it's working or not. Freesync doesn't seem to be working with TD for me. Seen some obvious tearing. What is it with Ubi titles and Freesync :mad:

Yup, had many issues with Freesync and Division not working. Really peeved me in the end. Never had an issue with it and Gsync.

Soldato
Is it me or is it weird that their is Vega stock around so soon after launch? You usually can't get a high-end card for love nor money within 2/3 weeks of it!!

No it's not weird or surprising considering the price they are currently going for. Should be £450 but going for £580 is a 35% price hike, 2x games for £130 is a joke. I refuse to exclusively blame AMD for this mess but AMD really need to get this sorted ASAP.

Associate
It doesn't sound like the PSU tripping out at all. For that PSU it doesn't matter which of the 12V outlets is used.

If no-one else gets the same problems with the same drivers, it's more likely to be a problem with his Vega. If it's not stable in balanced power mode (after having ruled out software issues), I'd RMA it. I wonder if upping the power limit makes the crashing more likely?

That was going to be my next experiment. I know it's stable for at least 1 hour in Power Save mode, I reckon it crashed around 15-20 mins in using Balanced. Hopefully tonight if not tomorrow I'll run it in a higher mode and see if it's less stable. It should be trivial to prove, and if it does trip the PSU in single rail i'll know because it will be full power down. Man that sudden silence, it puts a pit in my stomach when it trips!

Thank you both for your input thus far, I'll update as appropriate. I've also punted a support request corsairs way asking for advice.

So I guess, is the Witcher 3 crashy for any other Vega users out there? :D

** Edit: I've also considered a clean install of windows, because that's always fun right? Seriously though it's probably about time, it's been a year or two. **

Last edited:
Soldato
Yup, had many issues with Freesync and Division not working. Really peeved me in the end. Never had an issue with it and Gsync.

yup slightly annoying indeed, will just have to run it with vsync on.

What is lovely though, running the game absolutely maxed out, smaa on medium and running crazy fps again :) I've missed this so much. Just got a 72fps FRTC cap on, never drops one little bit, everything is so smooth with DX12. That's what will get me back to enjoying PC gaming again. As long as I can get solid FPS like that at 1440p in the majority of titles, then its £449 well spent.

Soldato
Why are people buying this card, 1080 is faster and cheaper

To go with a Freesync screen.

It's the fastest AMD GPU to date.

It's got a full DX12 feature set, with tons of potential

It's better in DX12 than Pascal

It won't be gimped in the future

And the 1080 is not faster, they are pretty much on par. Actually benching my V64 I'm beating out around 60% of 1080s on the benchmarks and that's with a 3770k and 1600mhz ddr3 so my rig base is pretty dated. Its faster in some tests, slower in others, hence being pretty much on par.

And also not cheaper, paid £449 for mine, I can't see a 1080 for less than £449.

Last edited:
Associate

Performance and price are just two factors to consider. They are not the be-all and end-all.
Here are some other points:
  • FreeSync allows greater monitor choice
  • Excellent Open Source driver support
  • AIO variant cheaper than 1080 AIOs (at least as I can find at OcUK)
  • Not having the GeForce Experience rammed down your throat.
I'm sure there more compelling points for the GTX range, but I'm too burned out from that eco system to find any.

Soldato
Well in my case:

1: Similar performance in games as a GTX1080 and this will increase as drivers mature.
2: Similar performance in applications as a 1080ti.
3: Only cost £450 (I know it costs more now but I'm explaining why I bought it).
4: Supports the VHS of Adaptive Sync (FreeSync) which means greater monitor choice than the Betamax (GSync).

Soldato
That was going to be my next experiment. I know it's stable for at least 1 hour in Power Save mode, I reckon it crashed around 15-20 mins in using Balanced. Hopefully tonight if not tomorrow I'll run it in a higher mode and see if it's less stable. It should be trivial to prove, and if it does trip the PSU in single rail i'll know because it will be full power down. Man that sudden silence, it puts a pit in my stomach when it trips!

Thank you both for your input thus far, I'll update as appropriate. I've also punted a support request corsairs way asking for advice.

So I guess, is the Witcher 3 crashy for any other Vega users out there? :D

** Edit: I've also considered a clean install of windows, because that's always fun right? Seriously though it's probably about time, it's been a year or two. **
No issues for me using my AOI 64 with the Witcher 3 although I only played it for around 10 minutes. Might have a longer playthrough later if I get time and let you know.

Man of Honour
OP
My Msi Vega 64 'Wave' AIO arrived yesterday.

https://ibb.co/c6vDSF

Sorry about missing your post.

Welcome and on TROH.:)

The Roll of Honour.
k0HZfc3.png

Date 21/08/2017, Make Reference AIO, diziet, Link
Date 19/08/2017, Make Reference Air, CapitalOne, Link
Date 18/08/2017, Make Reference AIO, NathG79, Link
Date 18/08/2017, Make Reference Air, Chrisc, Link
Date 18/08/2017, Make Reference Air, Richeh, Link
Date 17/08/2017, Make Reference AIO, DazQ87, Link
Date 17/08/2017, Make Reference Air, Smudge, Link
Date 17/08/2017, Make Reference Air, ChosenName, Link
Date 17/08/2017, Make Reference Air, mattyc123, Link
Date 16/08/2017, Make Reference Air, WhistleBlower07, Link
Date 16/08/2017, Make Reference AIO, Chewie, Link
Date 16/08/2017, Make Reference AIO, nashathedog, Link
Date 16/08/2017, Make Reference AIO, heartburnron, Link
Date 16/08/2017, Make Reference Air, vanpeebles, Link
Date 15/08/2017, Make Reference Air, Morve, Link
Date 15/08/2017, Make Reference Air, Howling, Link
Date 15/08/2017, Make Reference Air, Apache14, Link
Date 15/08/2017, Make Reference AIO, Dianbobo, Link
Date 15/08/2017, Make Reference Air, ubersonic, Link
Date 15/08/2017, Make Reference AIO, AMDMatt, Link
Date 15/08/2017, Make Reference Air, TonyTurbo78, Link
Date 15/08/2017, Make Reference AIO, MDPlatts, Link

To get on the Roll of Honour all you have to do is post a pic with your user name on it of your Vega 64.

Associate
yup slightly annoying indeed, will just have to run it with vsync on.

What is lovely though, running the game absolutely maxed out, smaa on medium and running crazy fps again :) I've missed this so much. Just got a 72fps FRTC cap on, never drops one little bit, everything is so smooth with DX12. That's what will get me back to enjoying PC gaming again. As long as I can get solid FPS like that at 1440p in the majority of titles, then its £449 well spent.

If the refresh rate goes above the top Freesync limit, then there will be tearing unless Vsync is enabled. In the drivers, there are four settings for Vsync (always off, off unless app specifies, on unless app specifies, always on) - what setting do you have this on for The Division?

Associate
To go with a Freesync screen.

It's the fastest AMD GPU to date.

It's got a full DX12 feature set, with tons of potential

It's better in DX12 than Pascal

It won't be gimped in the future

And the 1080 is not faster, they are pretty much on par. Actually benching my V64 I'm beating out around 60% of 1080s on the benchmarks and that's with a 3770k and 1600mhz ddr3 so my rig base is pretty dated. Its faster in some tests, slower in others, hence being pretty much on par.

And also not cheaper, paid £449 for mine, I can't see a 1080 for less than £449.

Im just going to quote you because i couldnt say it better myself.

Associate
Could it still be a power issue with the HX1000i?

It looks like Paul's Hardware and Tech Showdown were running Vega64 on an HX1000i, daisy-chaining the PCIe power connectors. Tech Showdown did run into problems with that (system restarting), and using separate cables fixed his issues:

From your photo it looks like you're already using separate cables, so that's not your problem, but the PSU itself should be OK. That PSU can either be run in single 12V rail mode, or multiple 12V rail mode; if in multiple mode I can see using a single cable tripping the PSU as each rail is limited to 40A; this might also explain why Paul didn't see the problem, but Kevin (Tech Showdown) did.

Back
Top Bottom