• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RX Vega 64 Owners Thread

Associate
Yeah :(

The fact that it hasn't crashed yet on the unigine valley benchmark makes me sceptical if the card is broken or if the benchmark somehow does something super funky though. Can anyone else run unigine heaven for 30 minutes without any issues? On the latest driver that is.

I've not tried Heaven but I have run the Superposition benchmark all the way through in 4K without issue.

Noticed over the past few nights that in games where my card is being fully worked my temps are between hitting 69 in either turbo mode or with a slight overclock - that's with leaving the default fan profiles. Given the max limit for the card is set to 70 I was wondering if anyone else is seeing these sort of temps? I have my fan exhausting out the back of the case and I know the optimal position would be behind the intake fan at the front which would be an option but that's likely to only bank me 1-2 degrees isn't it? Thoughts?

My GPU temp hit 69 in turbo mode a handful of times during a ~1hr session playing The Witcher 3 at 4K Ultra/High.

Associate
Big difference, HBM2 overclocking is supported on Vega in our drivers, it was never supported on Fiji. If it was supported, in the bios or via drivers, it would've been available in Overdrive/Wattman.

If HBM2 overclocking ever stops working on Vega, please let me know and I'll ensure engineering takes a look at it.

Let's get back on topic now as instructed by Stanners.

Join me here for discussion, thank you :) .

Soldato
Why is it doing this for me, shouldnt be throttling as temps are no where near throttling territory. Look at the state of the graph, I find this is happening with all my games UNLESS I make "state 6" the minimum state, then it will be solid at the required clock. But leaving minimum state at state 1, this happens all the time when gaming.

35933942023_3801801d55_o.png

Soldato
Why is it doing this for me, shouldnt be throttling as temps are no where near throttling territory. Look at the state of the graph, I find this is happening with all my games UNLESS I make "state 6" the minimum state, then it will be solid at the required clock. But leaving minimum state at state 1, this happens all the time when gaming.

Your activity levels are also all over the place. Perhaps it's not thermally throttling but balancing clocks with the activity asked of it? Infact, I just noticed you have Frequency set to Dynamic -- which is exactly how it sounds ;)

Associate
OK, so I think I've got an update but no good news on the monitor cutoffs/freezes leading to hard reboots. My new data points, after a complete format, reinstall of windows and only running the essentials (Drivers, GOG Galaxy, Corsair CUE/Link) are the following:

• Prior to the re-install I managed about 50 mins to an hour of playing The Witcher 3 with the card in Turbo mode without a crash, seeing as it was way approaching 2am I gave up and went to bed. So now crash here. Power draw on the 12V and across the whole PSU was significantly higher than in Balanced and the GPU temp hit 69 degrees then throttled I guess.
  • PSU back in single rail mode after reinstall.
  • I've just managed about an hour or more of playing the Witcher 3 with the previous settings, and the whole thing back in defaults... with Radeon Chill enabled. Then I got a similar crash/system freeze.
  • No dumps are created despite being enabled so there's no crash log to analyze, nor is there anything of note in Event Viewer.

So tl;dr the card is about as stable in Turbo as it is in Balanced.. I think.

I'm still at a loss. Do I hope it's buggy drivers and the problem goes away. I guess I'll need to contact Overclocker's support for advice at this juncture, I've had no reply from Corsair yet. Really impressed with the performance and Vega 64, thoroughly worn out with my experience thus far though.

The only two things I can think of now are:

• Shove my Fury X back in and see if it still crashes. :( Then again it might not even if the PSU is an issue.
  • Or crazily, my boss returned my old PSU (HX650W) to me today having tested a PC out he was struggling with... I could potentially power the Vega 64 just off that PSU by shorting the ATX to power it on. So the HX1000i powers the PC and HX650W is just for the Vega. Not keen on the idea, and not entirely sure it would prove anything.

Associate
{snip}

It certainly doesn't look like throttling, so my guesses are something to do with FRTC or Radeon Chill. Are you getting the framerates you should be getting?

Associate

Dumb question, but have you got Radeon Chill turned on? Could that be the cause of the symptoms. I only realised I had it switched on because whenever I stopped moving in a game the FPS counter stayed bang on 40fps, then leapt up as I moved!

** damnit, ninja'd **

Associate
about as stable in Turbo as it is in Balanced

Does seem less like a PSU problem.

The only two things I can think of now are:
  • Shove my Fury X back in and see if it still crashes. :( Then again it might not even if the PSU is an issue.
  • Or crazily, my boss returned my old PSU (HX650W) to me today having tested a PC out he was struggling with... I could potentially power the Vega 64 just off that PSU by shorting the ATX to power it on. So the HX1000i powers the PC and HX650W is just for the Vega. Not keen on the idea, and not entirely sure it would prove anything.

Heh - you could test the whole system on the 650W to see if that makes any difference. If you're only seeing problems with that one game though, it seems less likely to be a problem with your hardware.

Soldato
Does seem less like a PSU problem.

Heh - you could test the whole system on the 650W to see if that makes any difference. If you're only seeing problems with that one game though, it seems less likely to be a problem with your hardware.

Doesn't dynamic just float between state 6 and state 7 though? It better to adjust clocks as a percentage instead?

Associate
Soldato

I am getting the exact same problem. As soon as I set the voltage tab to manual it throttles to state 3 and 4 only ignoring 6 and 7. It only does this in games, Heaven works fine.

Back
Top Bottom