• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RX Vega 64 Owners Thread

Associate
Good morning, thank you @Sumanji :)

Ok, thank you as well Shiari - maybe i give it a try without the original backplate if i can mount it properly with the screws from Bykski.
If somebody else has experience with the nitro backplates or the byski cooler - input is very welcome.

I found some reddit thread over Bykski Vega Fullcover Users who had problems with the right fit of GPU blocks and extremely high hot spot temperatures, but some of them used the thermal pads wrong and did put them on the wrong components. Any experience here too?! :D

Best regards
facet

Associate
My Vega 64 (Red Devil) has probably one of the most unique waterblocks around, it's an Alphacool prototype which I don't think ever actually made it to the market. When I put it on initially I didn't have very good temperatures - this GPU doesn't have the potted dies and there's a slight difference in elevation between them. Basically I had to add more paste to get GPU temperatures under control.

So, make sure you use enough paste, and your GPU hot spot should be fine.

Associate
Well i just read, that the phase doublers, the memory voltage converter’s gate driver, and the PWM controller are connected to the backplate using thermal pads. So are these components which dont get so hot normally?
BR
facet

Associate
Hmm not sure, I did have to put a few thermal pads on the back in a few very specific positions. How much these would actually achieve though, don't know (they were quite thick pads).

Soldato
o, make sure you use enough paste, and your GPU hot spot should be fine.
Have we (royal we) confirmed that the hotspot is about the thermal paste application and general mounting pressure?

I'm starting to get a high hotspot temp so I'm going to have to take my loop apart and give it a look as there's a 65C difference between my hotspot and the core/mem. 40C core - 105C hotspot under load.
I don't have the resin/molded die but it had been fine for ages.

Permabanned
Have we (royal we) confirmed that the hotspot is about the thermal paste application and general mounting pressure?

I'm starting to get a high hotspot temp so I'm going to have to take my loop apart and give it a look as there's a 65C difference between my hotspot and the core/mem. 40C core - 105C hotspot under load.
I don't have the resin/molded die but it had been fine for ages.
prob the paste drying out .. just reapply

Soldato
The paste covers a large enough area that one part might be OK and another not so much; the standard core temp reading can't reflect this on its own, but the hotspot reading can give you an indication.
the hotspot will always dry first as it's way hotter than the rest .. give it a go ..
Thanks guys. drained the loop, took it apart and repasted. hotspot has dropped from 105-115c to 55c under furmark :)

Soldato
since losing my middle fan on my nitro im not seeing any loss in performance, well tbh quite the opposite, im pushing oc well above what i had tried in past with 3 fans, but not seeing much higher temps,typical example just playing a game set to 1750/1075 but only sitting at 72 degrees max, gpu hotspot 87, my question is, is triple fan marketing, or more on the quality of the fan

Associate
Not sure about the middle fan but fair play to you I cannot get anywhere near 1750 with my sample under water. I can get 1180 on the vram. The best my chip can do is 1652.

Associate
Yeah tried under volting and over volting definitely lost the silicon lottery with my one. It was a reference card so that might be why. On the plus side hot spot never goes above 50c

Soldato
Yeah tried under volting and over volting definitely lost the silicon lottery with my one. It was a reference card so that might be why. On the plus side hot spot never goes above 50c
Well I guess that's a bonus, my nitro can get a bit toaster sometimes, had hotspots mid 90's but still keeps on chugging along, plus I can't get over 1100 on the memory, think that's pretty much the nitros limit, even with chucking boat load of volts at it.

Associate
...is triple fan marketing, or more on the quality of the fan
I have a Nitro too, and just had a look at how the cooling is arranged; the heatpipes split up into two groups of fins at either end. In the middle there are almost no fins, and it's partially blocked by the logo on the shroud too. Thus it's no surprise that the middle fan doesn't improve cooling.

This seems to be quite common with triple fan coolers. The Fury that I had before the Vega 64 had a middle fan blocked almost entirely by the power connectors and the shroud. The Radeon VII that I am using now has the middle fan partially blocked by the logo on the shroud.

Back
Top Bottom