• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RX Vega 64 Owners Thread

Associate
Well, got my card.

Wattman / drivers are in a total state though.

Did a clean install of latest drivers.

No HBCC on/off toggle (assume they removed it with latest driver update?).
HBM overclocking is just a jumbled mess of numbers in Wattman (-52900Mhz and always reverts to this as soon as you press Enter).
Power limit I can set between a brilliant -1%, 0% and +1%.
Enabling GPU voltage control automatically makes HBM voltage manual too, and sets it to the same value as what you set for GPU. Just total facepalm.
Unfortunately you can't adjust ANYTHING on power saver / balanced / turbo - not even fan profile. Since you can't adjust other values properly in custom mode currently, it's a mess.

Latest beta of Afterburner can't do anything yet. Not even fan profiles.

As of now, you need to use external tools.

Two positives.

1) My card seems to be a decent bin, as it's happy on 1040mV running AoTS built in benchmark on Crazy presets. But I need to increase the power limit (can't in Wattman) to stop it throttling. As there was zero instability and it was still momentarily peaking at 1600Mhz, I suspect it might be happy as low as 1000mV. Even at 1040mV on the HBM it's still fine - which it forces if I put it on the GPU.

2) The default fan settings on Balanced are heavily geared towards silence. On all stock settings it thermal throttles as it gets above 80C. At max fan (which is very loud but unlike most cards has almost zero motor / bearing whine) and undervolted it remains below 60C, but is throttling because it needs higher power limit. 75% fan which if wearing headphones you certainly won't hear over in-game audio gets to 70-72C. Turbo mode heavily thermal throttles as it stays at 85C because, again, fan profile remains below 50%.

P.S. Absolutely ZERO buzz / hiss / whine from the card, even with your ear right next to it, at full load, with fans low. Probably the first graphics card I've had where the board itself is completely silent.

P.P.S. Individual game profile settings do absolutely nothing, in Radeon Settings.

Last edited:
Associate
I have every confidence that it will be a very good card, even great, but besides increasing fan speed and / or undervolting it a bit, it's pointless adjusting anything unless you're going to install and use WattTool as of right now.

Soldato
Just got home to see this lovely package been delivered :)

Not going to sugar coat it, it's been a painful wait to get it back in a loop. AMD really need to sort these reference blowers out, it's not been much fun running 2500rpm and seeing 85c on the card during gaming.

35922695124_9a848da7b0_b.jpg

36617973521_5ac6e71706_b.jpg

36757169915_979d74bf15_b.jpg

36587566602_ffafccc0bc_b.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
0.04mm is the difference in height between the core and HBM. The 0.1mm difference is between the overall height of the different VEGA packages.... means that there is a small risk of cracking the core if you clamp down a cooler designed for the lower height part.

You'd probably even out the 0.04mm difference with paste I would have thought.

Associate
Found the source of my problems.

I used CCleaner registry cleaner after removing the installation, then reinstalled.

Radeon Settings / Wattman were then behaving a bit better ...... still no HBCC toggle, still no game settings being applied, still generally buggy and crap.

However, if you have Afterburner installed, if you open it even ONCE, it will reduce Wattman to a pool of excrement, from which it can't be resurrected
(factory reset, restart, even uninstalling Afterburner - none of it works). You then have to remove the drivers again, clean again, then reinstall.

PSA: Uninstall Afterburner if you have Vega. Until such time as AMD get a handle on their drivers, and AfterBurner is updated, don't touch it.

Caporegime
Found the source of my problems.

I used CCleaner registry cleaner after removing the installation, then reinstalled.

Radeon Settings / Wattman were then behaving a bit better ...... still no HBCC toggle, still no game settings being applied, still generally buggy and crap.

However, if you have Afterburner installed, if you open it even ONCE, it will reduce Wattman to a pool of excrement, from which it can't be resurrected
(factory reset, restart, even uninstalling Afterburner - none of it works). You then have to remove the drivers again, clean again, then reinstall.

PSA: Uninstall Afterburner if you have Vega. Until such time as AMD get a handle on their drivers, and AfterBurner is updated, don't touch it.

Try DDU or Revo uninstaller, I've not seen any similar reports as to what you have described.

Associate
A question to all you Vega64 AIO owners .... can you change the orientation of the fan to pull through the rad and not have it as an exhaust?

Caporegime
A question to all you Vega64 AIO owners .... can you change the orientation of the fan to pull through the rad and not have it as an exhaust?

Not a vega owner but have a fury x and it can be turned around, can't see why it would be any different on this.

Associate
Early opinion, but I think the better Vega64 bins may at some point massacre 1080Tis in some games, *IF* the memory bandwidth issues are driver / firmware related to at least some degree.

The reason for such optimism?

I'm still dropping it, but so far down to 890mV GPU core voltage @1630Mhz with only a few very minor fluctations, max temp of 66C on 100% fans (can obviously be reduced) at +15% power limit (again could be dropped as I've only been testing +15%). 1000Mhz HBM2 (haven't tested anything else) at 1.1V (dunno if voltage settings do anything for memory).

Testing on Crazy presets @1920x1080 on Ashes: Escalation (Vulkan) in game benchmark. Zero instability whatsoever thus far.

Looks like I may get it to 850mV or below, unless a sudden wall is hit.

This bodes EXCEEDINGLY well as far as overclocking potential is concerned, especially as I have an EK block waiting to go on.

Ambient air temperature is ~25C.

Associate
Update: reached 850mV. However temperature isn't really dropping any further.

Either the board / chip has aggressive LLC, or it isn't applying voltage lower than a certain number to states 6 & 7.

Any software accurately reading GPU core voltages yet?

Back
Top Bottom