• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RX Vega 64 Owners Thread

Soldato
My memory does 1100 whatever the core is clocked to (I think this is quite lucky, although I've seen lots of people with that or 1090/1095), you might want to lower the core clock to rule out any power issues though; my core won't go over 1700 but I wouldn't run that daily anyway because of the crazy power use :D
My core defaults to 1750 in the turbo profile although I haven't seen it boost past 1704 since updating to the latest drivers. I've just ran some tests there, Timespy crashed on Graphics Test 1 at both 1100 and 1095. I tried it at both 1075 and 1090 and whilst these completed the TimeSpy bench both produed a graphics score of around 7850 which is less than the score of 8045 I got when running the memory at 1045Mz. It isn't uncommon for performance to reduce when pushing clocks too high so it might be worth seeing if you actually get better scores by lowering your memory clock a bit? Or it could be just my card...

Soldato
It seems like the core clock fluctuation between states is expected. I'll try to provide a bit more information on this once i have it and fully understand it myself.
That would be great Matt. I understand there were issues with the reported clocks in the early drivers but shouldn't the AOI cards still be boosting up to 1750 in Turbo profile?

Associate
No video output upon booting, hmm, gputach had a red light.

Not the best start!

Edit: sorted, probably my displayport cable as it's working via hdmi. This stock fan is quite noisy at idle, will have to do something about that.

Caporegime
That would be great Matt. I understand there were issues with the reported clocks in the early drivers but shouldn't the AOI cards still be boosting up to 1750 in Turbo profile?
Clock fluctutation is a feature of ACG = Advanced Clock Generator, which is enabled for DPM states 5/6/7. It will naturally fluctuate when there are current spikes. When current spikes occur voltage droops, to avoid instability during the droop, frequency must be decreased to match. This is why you see the fluctuation in the frequency.

To maximise highest possible performance, set +50% power limit + increase state 7 frequency, and voltage if required. I use state 6 as stock max boost frequency and undervolt by -0.075mv. This works well for me Vega and allows a nice perf increase over stock boost clock/voltage (1752Mhz)

I recommend enabling HBCC too globally, even with just 16GB of system memory.

Last edited:
Soldato
Clock fluctutation is a feature of ACG = Advanced Clock Generator, which is enabled for DPM states 5/6/7. It will naturally fluctuate when there are current spikes. When current spikes occur voltage droops, to avoid instability during the droop, frequency must be decreased to match. This is why you see the fluctuation in the frequency.

To maximise highest possible performance, set +50% power limit + increase state 7 frequency, and voltage if required.
Thanks for that. I tried matching your settings and saw the core clock boost to 1740 running Time Spy. It didn't quite reach 1700 running the Rise of The Tomb Raider benchmark so I guess it doesn't push it so hard. If this is how it's supposed to behave then fair enough - it just seemed simpler to follow on the 2 previous drivers when it appeared to boost up to the actual clock frequency you set but if that wasn't being reported accurately then so be it. Oddly enough I keep getting more favourable benches in both Time Spy and ROTR when I have the memory clocked closer to 1050 than 1100...

Caporegime
Thanks for that. I tried matching your settings and saw the core clock boost to 1740 running Time Spy. It didn't quite reach 1700 running the Rise of The Tomb Raider benchmark so I guess it doesn't push it so hard. If this is how it's supposed to behave then fair enough - it just seemed simpler to follow on the 2 previous drivers when it appeared to boost up to the actual clock frequency you set but if that wasn't being reported accurately then so be it. Oddly enough I keep getting more favourable benches in both Time Spy and ROTR when I have the memory clocked closer to 1050 than 1100...
I tend to use 1050Mhz mostly. One of my cards is not stable with undervolting at 1100. Performance difference is only a couple of percent if that between the clocks anyway.

Enable HBCC and you may find some benchmark scores increase. Superposition and Firestrike to name but two.

Soldato
Soldato
I tend to use 1050Mhz mostly. One of my cards is not stable with undervolting at 1100. Performance difference is only a couple of percent if that between the clocks anyway.

Enable HBCC and you may find some benchmark scores increase. Superposition and Firestrike to name but two.
Haven't tried Firestrike yet but TimeSpy doesn't seem to like HBCC for me. It crashed when I tried it with the beta drivers and it crashed when I just tired it again this afternoon.

No noticeable benefit with HBCC on for the ROTR benchmark although on a complete side note, I'm getting an extra 3 FPS on the benchmark in DX12 with Vega where before my Fury X got a lower score with DX12.

Associate
jtShNTt.jpg

:D

Will be hard on the ears coming from a Tri-X Fury but hope to put a 3rd party cooler on it somewhere down the line.
Going to install it in a bit and see if it gives me that bit more umph at 1440p, 4GB to 8GB should be nice. :)

Will probs just run it as is for a few days but will then start o/c'ing etc.
Need to catch up on the thread but any particular posts peeps can link for me to look at would be great. Ta.

Associate
Haven't tried Firestrike for a while. Have you tried Timespy at 1050? My scores seem to reduce when I go past that...

slower again, with the GPU-Z beta you can see that HBM overclock does need a fair amount of power so you could be hitting the power limit with the power hungry core clock?

Associate
Sadly I will not join members on shares of VEGA 1st hand experience.

Dunno if I will regret it, been on AMD for ~10yrs GPU wise. I didn't go VEGA. I had waited for VEGA.

Sort of pricing put me off plus other things, 'all features' aren't enabled in driver currently, I'm thinking how long is the wait going to be? will it benefit all gaming and how much by?

If bios modding had been open I would have gone VEGA 56 with a water block and been happy with it. I think that was the nail in the coffin that moved me to buy a GTX 1080 plus how I felt AMD have gimped Fiji. Even though bios mod is not open on nVidia there were other reasons for the purchase that made it work for me.

Will miss FreeSync, but not swapping out the MG279Q. Will keep an eye on what occurs with VEGA so may revisit AMD again.

Associate
Has anyone got a sapphire limited edition vega 64 from pre order yet? i'm waiting for a whole system and i have to wait till vega is back in stock for them to ship it. they told me from 28th but now the dates have vanished.press keep saying lucky if you get one before october.

Back
Top Bottom