• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RX Vega 64 Owners Thread

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Jayztwocents has a good watercooling video, and it seems that Vega loves water.

Caporegime
On the stock fan profiles they can get close to the max limit at full load which is 70 degrees. I small tweak to the fan profile keeps the card around 60 though regardless of what you throw at it. If fan noise was not an issue you could keep the card in the 50s if you chose to.

Ok thanks, that was a little worse than I expected. Thank anyhow for the info :)

Associate
So...vega 64 at 470 or 1080?

1440o

I went GTX 1080. Got the MSI GTX 1080 Sea Hawk EK X.

Even with current promo on a blower VEGA 56/64 its £380/£480 plus £100 on WB. I found the GTX 1080 at ~£480, factory WB, so shouldn't be any warranty issues. Seeing the TPU reviews of VEGA 64, a GTX 1080 FE is ~1% averaged performance higher than VEGA 64. The MSI is ~1847MHz boost, viewing another TPU review that's ~10% gain on GTX 1080 FE for performance, noted on OCN several results of WB Pascal at ~2-2.1GHz. Even if I keep it at stock I reckon it will be ~8% performance gain on VEGA 64. Will miss out on FreeSync, but could flip the card later. Needed to move on from Fury X, as it's a 4GB card I reckon resale will plummet as soon as this current climate of GPU prices is over.

Perhaps if the gains on VEGA are improved with what is currently not enabled in driver I'll move back to AMD or just wait it out til Navi to move.

Associate
When I bought my Vega 64 AC as soon as I went into a game I got the black screens and eventually it rebooted. Turned out my 700w PSU just couldn't handle it and AMD are right in saying minimum spec is 750w. Fitted a new FSP Hydro-G 850w and since then it's been gaming bliss. I notice a few of you that are having the black screens have the AIO version and AMD recommend a 1000w PSU to run them.

Anything less and you're close to the edge TBH and reading some of the posts people are getting them to run in power save mode or bios 2 but they won't run at balanced/stock. Whichever way you look at it Vega is a power hog and you really do need the recommended spec to make it run right. If you haven't got that PSU either you need to buy a new one or don't buy a Vega card if you don't want to be disappointed. Sad but that seems to be where we are with Vega. Great card if you can tame the power!

Associate
Iv been running my Vega 64 air cooled on the primary bios in turbo mode with no issues (running super position in loops of 3)

I have the 750watt super flower leadex gold and running with :-

Ryzen 1700 @ stock
16GB DDR4 3200 @ 2933
1x 256GB NVME SSD
1x 128GB SATA SSD
1x some HDD that I can't remember
Custom water loop for CPU
4x PWM fans

Overall I think the power supply I'm using is extremely durable and we'll designed when seeing others having issues with PSUs of the same wattage ratings.

Associate
@Gibbo you are famous on youtube again :D redgamingtech has used you as the insider that has told everyone AMD sell the vega at a 100 dollar loss... Well i sort of put my own spin on it but you still got named :D

Associate
All cards are ref AMD MBA.

So yeah AIB has their sticker and that's it.

AIB seems to be allowed this time to do custom full ASIC (ie VEGA 64 Strix is already announced), where as before on Fiji, full ASIC was not allowed to be custom (ie Fury X/Nano).

Associate
No worries :) .

What's gonna be interesting is how AIB cards are IMO. Will we see CORE and RAM OC'd like on other past AMD cards, exception of Fiji which was just CORE on Fury cards (ie Fiji Pro).

Also what will go on with full cover waterblocks. Fiji only the ref PCBs had them, IIRC even Polaris has been like that, Grenada was limited as well on that aspect but Hawaii did have waterblocks for AIB cards.

Soldato
When I bought my Vega 64 AC as soon as I went into a game I got the black screens and eventually it rebooted. Turned out my 700w PSU just couldn't handle it and AMD are right in saying minimum spec is 750w. Fitted a new FSP Hydro-G 850w and since then it's been gaming bliss. I notice a few of you that are having the black screens have the AIO version and AMD recommend a 1000w PSU to run them.

Anything less and you're close to the edge TBH and reading some of the posts people are getting them to run in power save mode or bios 2 but they won't run at balanced/stock. Whichever way you look at it Vega is a power hog and you really do need the recommended spec to make it run right. If you haven't got that PSU either you need to buy a new one or don't buy a Vega card if you don't want to be disappointed. Sad but that seems to be where we are with Vega. Great card if you can tame the power!
You really don't need a 1000w PSU for the AOI cards, a decent 850w is absolutely fine. I've had no black screens or any issues at all running mine at +50% power with the core voltage, core and memory clocks all increased beyond stock. For anyone who is unsure this PSU calculator is fairly comprehensive and up to date with latest components: https://seasonic.com/psu-calculator/ I have quite a few extras, 4 storage drives, AOI CPU cooler, LED strip, DVD writer, etc. and mine comes out at 700w.

The stuff you've been reading here about people having to use power saving mode or bios 2 are those who have been unlucky and received faulty cards.

Back
Top Bottom